Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

Color: Silver|Change

on August 10, 2013
Because I really love "zoodles" (and carrot, parsnip, butternut squash, and sweet potato noodles), I ordered ALL the highly rated julienne peelers/slicers on Amazon to compare.

The Paderno World Cuisine Tri-Blade Vegetable Slicer Paderno World Cuisine A4982799 Tri-Blade Plastic Spiral Vegetable failed and was returned immediately. It mangled the zucchini, didn't make noodles but clunky, misshapen strings, and wobbled all over the place. The suction cup feet were a joke. The carrot I tried never did get sliced into julienne strips but stayed in thick bands. (Yes, I had the julienne blade in!) And after slicing, the teeth were bent in all directions!

I can only figure that the one a reviewer bought & raved over 3 years ago was made by a different supplier. This sort of thing happens all the time... companies change suppliers for one reason or another and the quality goes down. Possibly the "good" recent reviews are for machines which were made 3 years ago and just now found in an attic???

I also tested the Gefu Spirelli Spiral Cutter GEFU Spirelli Spiral Cutter. It was about as disapointing as the Paderno and was returned right away. Read some of the 1 or 2 star reviews to understand why it was bad. Really never worked at all! Very gimmick-y. Makes me wonder if anyone actually tests these things before manufacturing them!

A few months ago, I purchased an OXO julienne peeler OXO Good Grips Julienne Peeler and enjoyed using it for about 4 meals when I noticed the blades (teeth) which score the food before being sliced were all bent at different angles! The blade didn't seem all that sharp and dragging it over a carrot or parsnip was sort of difficult. However it had the widest teeth at 3.7mm making nice fat zoodles.

Next I compared the Kuhn Rikon Kuhn Rikon Julienne Peeler with Blade Protector, Stainless Steel Handle and the MIU France MIU France Stainless Steel Swiss Peeler, Julienne Blade peelers. They both worked very well for hand-held tools. (Remember to anchor the base of the veggie, as one other reviewer noted, with a carving or large fork so you don't nick the fingers holding the veggie.)

The MIU worked great, easy to use, but a relatively short handle which I found harder to hold on to. Comes with no protective cover for the blade, but I made one out of 3" of clear plastic 1/2" diameter tubing slit all along the long side. The teeth are 3.3mm apart which makes a thin spaghetti-type noodle, but thicker than angel-hair.

The Kuhn Rikon has a nice long handle which I liked, and a cover for the VERY sharp blade. The teeth were only 2.2mm apart which makes a sort of angel-hair noodles rather than a spaghetti-type. Nice for root veggies like carrots and parsnips, and sweet potatoes; they cook quicker.

I hope this helps anyone wading through the julienne peeler swamp!
2121 comments|1,051 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 27, 2012
Exactly what I was looking for! I researched all the gadgets available for making long vegetable strands for low-carb and/or healthy veggie meals and decided to purchase the GEFU Spirelli, and I'm very glad I did! Unlike other more complicated devices, this handy little item is only about 4 3/4 inches tall and about 2 3/4 inches wide, small enough to easily fit in a kitchen drawer. The only other piece is a little cap that attaches to the end of the vegetable. So far I have used this to make long julienne strips of carrots and zucchini (so much easier and faster than with my potato peeler!). The Spirelli has two openings, both with sharp blades (one end cuts strands 2x3 mm, and the other end cuts 3.5x5 mm) and all you do is place your veggie (straight and firm works best) into the Spirelli, twist in your vegetable with a mild pressure - and voila! You now have nice long strands of vegetable pasta!
1111 comments|346 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 31, 2013
After reading the reviews, I was afraid I wouldn't be able to use this for carrots. True, it didn't come with instructions, and the youtube video only demonstrated spiraling zucchini, which is the easiest vegetable to do. Here's how to do it. Set the spiraler flat on the counter and hold it with your left hand. Insert your cylindrical vegetable straight in--do not lean it to the side so it totally makes contact with the blade (this is what I first did and broke a few carrots doing it.) Only the tip should have contact with the blade. With your right hand, hold the top of the vegetable with a paper towel . The guard is useless and the veggies get slippery, so the paper towel helps you grip. Then with firm, even pressure, twist the vegetable, keeping it upright in the cylinder. Do one full twist, re-grip, and twist again. As other users mentioned, it works great on zucchini and yellow squash. But it also works great on carrots, sweet potatoes and regular potatoes. I cook the spirals in the skillet or microwave, and I also cook them in the oven at 425 after lightly spraying with cooking spray and sprinkling with a little salt and pepper. Just make sure when you purchase the veggies, they aren't wider than the cylinder. Think long and skinny. There is some waste, but I expect this whenever I make something fancy. (I just throw the waste in the freezer with my other veggie scraps for my next batch of homemade vegetable broth.) I love this thing! It makes veggies fun again and is small enough for easy storage!
11 comment|270 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon June 17, 2013
I do not understand these people that say this tool does not work or that it does not come with instructions. There really is no learning curve with this Gefu Spiral Cutter. It has 2 openings, you place the vegetable you want to spiral cut in one of the ends and rotate it. How hard is that? I tried it out on carrots and zucchini. Worked like a charm. I really had no fear of cutting my fingers at all, not an issue. I did have to "lose" about the last inch of the carrot because trying to twist the carrot while it is inside the tube is kind of hard. I don't consider that a big concern at all though. It easily spiral cut the zucchini. It didn't feel like the cutter was cheaply made. I didn't have a hard time cleaning it, had to poke a toothpick in the groove to get out some of the stuck pieces, but cleanup was a minute of my time.

I had considered the Paderno World Cuisine A4982799 Tri-Blade Plastic Spiral Vegetable, as it has good reviews, and probably would do just as good a job, but I didn't want the storage problem. The Gefu fits nicely in my cooking utensil drawer and that means it will be more likely to be used. So really, if you have a modicum of intelligence and have handled any type of tool effectively, you can handle this item. I just don't see how it gets any easier than this.
11 comment|190 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 12, 2013
My husband found this on Amazon and ordered it for me. I have to say I was skeptical at first. I had wanted a spiral vegetable cutter for some time but all the models I had seen were huge counter top contraptions that I had no interest in, nor did I want another thing cluttering my already full cupboards. When it came I gave it a try that night and IT ROCKS. I made delicious squash and zucchini "pasta" with butter, Parmesan, and garlic. Two nights later I made it again with homemade pesto. Again later that same week with fresh red meat sauce. We don't eat pasta so this has given us a multitude of alternatives! My husband absolutely loves the long strands it creates.... He twirls the veggies "pasta" around his fork just like you would real pasta. It's quick and easy to make gorgeous veggie pasta and this small device fits neatly in my utensil drawer.

Three tips:1) To clean it well use a toothbrush or a small bottle brush. That will help brush all of the bits out of the blades. 2) Use smaller veggies to get best results. They will have less seeds, yield less waste and give better results. 3) Be cautious when you get to the end of the veggie you are cutting. Those blades are sharp! Other than that this is a great little device. Well worth the price! I've used mine at least 10 times in the short time I've had it. Enjoy!
on July 19, 2012
I'm on a low carb diet and this cutter turns the zucchini into neat spirals that look just like pasta. Real easy to use. I recommend highly!
0Comment|96 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 2, 2013
Love it!! Just bummed I paid $30 for this in July and here it is December and it's less than $20 now. :-(

If you're low-carbing it and want a great replacement for "noodles" OR you are just wanting to eat more veggies, this is definitely one way to do it. My kids love it, my man loves it, and I love it. Easy to use. No, it doesn't come with tremendous instructions, but omg, if you can't figure this out, you need to buy a set of Tinker Toys and start figuring things out by playing with them. Place vegetable in, twist. Easy as that. You can't 'noodelize' the last couple of inches, but pop those puppies in a zip lock and use them in a soup or something, for crying out loud. So far, I've used this for zucchini and carrot strands, which I saute in olive oil with garlic. Place a grilled or stuffed chicken breast on this and voila! instant low-carb pasta fake-out. Or, you can top with crumbles of feta, olives, and toss in a greek dressing for an awesome pasta salad. I know I've only scraped the iceberg on what you can do with this little device; bottom line, it's a great (and SMALL) addition to your kitchen tool repertoire. I don't like to buy a lot of junk for my kitchen and always ask myself: "can I do this without this tool?" I can solidly answer that I cannot make these veggie 'noodles' without this tool. It stays busy, trust me.
on November 4, 2013
I used to have an OXO julienne peeler and thought it did an OK job of julienning items. The teeth on that product got bent and I found it did find with the hard, outside flesh of a zucchini or squash, but not as well with the softer, seedy centers. Then someone decided it should be used as a potato peeler and it never worked right again. So I bought the GEFU Spirelli Spiral Cutter.

Provided you buy 'skinnier' produce (1-2.5" diameter) items, this product works great. Keep the veggie very upright (you don't need to press the veggie up against the whole length of the cutting blade) and it will produce a lovely, long string of jullienned veggie. Zucchini and squash are a great pasta substitute. Potatoes and sweet potatoes are very pretty when roasted in the oven with a little oil, salt & pepper. I even have good success with carrots and cucumbers.

For the safety conscious: I don't use the hand guard for most of the process. I tried it when the veggie got pretty small, but didn't have much success with it. When I can't spin the veggie anymore, I dice the rest and call it good.

The obvious con, if you're an efficiency expert, is that there is a center core of about .25-0.5" that is waste if you choose not to dice it and cook it up as well; and the end nub of the veggie is also "waste" or diceable because it's just hard to push the whole veggie down the V shape.

It comes clean mostly by running water over it. I do use a toothpick for the pesky bits that choose to hold on too tight. This item is small, easy to use, clean and store. I don't really understand user complaints of not knowing how to use it or "cheap" materials. Mine has worked fine for over 6 months with regular use. Julienning really doesn't get easier than this...
on January 29, 2014
Very handy little gadget and worked with ease. It did not come with instructions but I was able to manage. Center the food in middle, hold the gadget in my left hand and turn the vegetable right hand/fingers. I did not use the lid. I actually had very little waste because I took an appetizer fork and stuck it in the stub of vegetable that I was unable to turn with my fingers. I was able to widdled it down to a bit over a 1/4'' stub. I ate it.

No issues with clean up.. Ran it under hot water and used my kitchen toothbrush. Ran the brush along the exposed blade, dried and now in the box on my shelf for the next round.
on March 7, 2013
I absoultely adore this product!!! I made Julianne zucchini and carrots!! I sauteed the two together to make a low calorie "pasta" dish! I would recommend this product to anyone!! It make gorgeous garnishes and it works very well. At first it can be frustrating to use. It took me three minutes to master and I didn't even read the directions - the product is that self explanatory!! I would suggest just rotating the vegetable with your hands rather than using the protective cap that is supplied. Also do not cut the vegetable in half before inserting! I find that the longer the vegetable the easier it is to use!!! Cleaning it is another story.....I suggest buying a dish brush to remove all the left over veggie bits!!!

Overall this product should be in every kitchen in the world!!!!! It was extremely satisfying to use because IT WORKS!!!!