Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on August 15, 2011
This is one of those things that is a must have if you are a photographer. Not having to worry about white balance ever again is such a time saver and is very easy to do with this card.

It's amazing how looking at a picture in lightroom looks 'normal' before you apply the correct WB and then looks totally different (correct) after syncing the WB settings with this card. I've used this card over the past couple months and have no complaints. It has saved me from a lot of monkeying around with settings after the shot with just a few clicks.

Tip: After taking a series of shots in the same lighting, I take on picture of this card and then take a picture with the lens cap on (totally black shot). This way, in lightroom it is easy for me to tell where the white balance settings for a group of shots are. You can delete that picture after you've synced all the WB settings for your import.
66 comments| 45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 16, 2011
I am new to the WhiBal. Wish I'd known about it when I first purchased my camera. Different sizes for different needs. I put this pocket version on a lanyard so I'm never without it. I'm a Photoshop CS5 user, coming off of Photoshop 7, off of Photoshop 5.

Outside of lenses, and Speedlites, this is the SINGLE most essential tool I've ever bought. Some quibble about the price, but considering the individually measured and certified quality of every card, it's a steal. I can't imagine any photographer who's serious about color balance EVER being without it.

Google WhiBal and watch Michael Tapes' video tutorials. They go into great practical and technical depth, simply and efficiently, and make the case far better than I can for why you need a WhiBal. (No, I'm not affiliated with WhiBal in any way.)

As usual, with Amazon, great pricing and speedy shipping. With this particular version of the WhiBal card, no case, no lanyard, no stand included. No problem. Fits neatly, with lanyard, into the flap-sleeve of my daily Kata H-16 grab-and-go bag (also bought through Amazon).

No more doubts about my camera's color calibration, monitor color calibration, variations. Unbelievably useful for batch processing.

Go get it!
VINE VOICEon September 8, 2012
After 7 years of avid digital SLR photography experience and thinking these things weren't all that useful since you could tweak things post-production, I proved myself wrong.
I took some family portraits under some really tricky natural light (dusk) conditions and I just couldn't get the color to my liking, despite messing around for 20 minutes in Lightroom 4. That night, I decided it was time to try a professional gray card and ordered this.
Now I make sure I take it with me whenever I'm taking anything more than casual shots.

You can use it in one of two ways:

1) Take a picture of it in the same lighting conditions that your subject will be in, and then when you get home and use Lightroom, do an auto-balance on the photo of the card and then copy the same settings to your other photos. It's best to use RAW if you choose this option.

or - preferably...

2) Many SLR cameras (I use a Canon 60D) have a menu option for custom while balance - take a picture of the card, go to custom balance menu and display the photo you took of the card on the screen. Confirm your selection. Then all your have to do is go to the white balance menu option and set it to the "custom" mode... it will then apply the settings you previously selected. Sounds confusing - but it's really pretty simple and makes all the difference in the world under tricky lighting conditions.

Just remember to adjust again as the lighting changes, or when you go to your next location at a later time.

A bit pricey for a thick card that fits in your wallet, but professionally calibrated tools usually are. It's definitely worth it if you do any serious shooting.
on January 29, 2015
Love this card. Easy to use - and perfect white balance every time!
review image
on February 27, 2014
I will admit, I am an amateur and take pictures only as a hobby. My picture appear 100 times better after I calibrate my camera white balance using the WhiBal G7. Takes little to no effort to do your balance on the camera or wait then balance in your software. The card is durable and seems easy to clean. Now you may ask, is a little plastic card really worth what this cost? My answer is "no" not the plastic but what it does for your photo's is worth it. I see it like this, I have sent several hundred dollars on my cameras what's 20-30 dollars to make sure they are balance right. It will make a different.
on November 7, 2011
This card is small and easily slips into a pocket of my camera bag. The card is neutral gray with white and black patches. It's made of thick plastic and is quite durable. With it, I can easily set a manual white balance in my camera or during processing in Lightroom. The latter is more likely. If you're photographing a model, have her hold the card in one shot for each lighting situation and Lightroom makes it easy to adjust all the photos shot there. If you're shooting still life's or landscapes, set the card in one scene to achieve the same effect.
on March 17, 2016
This is an ABSOLUTE MUST OWN for photographers and even more so for filmmakers.

The quality is excellent. I wish it was double sided but unfortunately it's not. However, it is on textured plastic so it is matte. Therefore, you will not get glare or smears on it which can become an issue when trying to white balance in post. The card itself is credit card sized. If you need a bigger one, which you shouldn't--look for the studio version.

It is certified neutral. This is very important especially for film makers because when comparing this to other "18% grey" cards you can instantly tell the other ones are not. If you've ever shot video, especially log or RAW, you'd know using something as a reference for white balance that claims to be grey or neutral will leave your footage either with a slight magenta tint, or everything will look like it is fine but skin tones may look a little red adding more time in post to correct. This is what actually led me to purchase this card.

A lot of great cinema cameras do not come with auto white balance (which you shouldn't use anyway) and when shooting in a good codec, log or RAW; most of your white balancing is going to come from post production. If you use Dvinci Resolve as I do (you should be for color correcting if you don't), using the qualifier to select this card as your neutral key will result in excellent balancing every time.

Do yourself a favor and skip the ones that are $10 less and get something that's certified. Or else you'll be spending extra time trying to figure out whether your balance or tint is messing up those fine details with an awful hue.
on August 14, 2011
Nothing much to say about this little gem. It corrects color cast as expected. Fits nicely in my wallet so I always have it, and hasn't gotten scratched or anything either. I love this little card, it's saved a lot of editing time playing with white balance for sure.
on October 8, 2013
Before I got the card, in order to correct some photos' white balance in Lightroom, I had to tinker around so much... and even then, it may still be difficult to calibrate it correctly.

This is where this card comes in handy. If you are shooting a session in an environment with strange colored lighting, which includes fluorescent lighting that comes in all sorts of color temperature, you can take a picture with this card in the center every so often. Afterward, you simply need to set the white balance on one photo in Lightroom, then sync up all the rest of the photo to the same WB setting.

The color in the photos now look plenty accurate and definitely much more accurate than me trying to figure it out manually.

My recommendation is, get it. It will save you so much time in post processing.
on February 11, 2015
I only learned the other day that you're supposed to set white balance with gray and not white, so my opinion is not a professional's—but I'm blown away by how effective this little wallet sized card is. The card itself is thicker than a credit card, so it is pretty sturdy. My photos already look so much better.