5.0 out of 5 stars GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3
Excellent board.
GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

Pros
1. Lots of USB ports including USB 3.0
2. CPU memory area laid out well. No clearance issues even with a monster CPU cooler.
3. Good software/driver disk.
4. Lots of internal headers for additional USB ports.
5. Excellent manual and...
Published on September 22, 2011 by daddyman

3.0 out of 5 stars Good motherboard...Once you get it working
Published on November 13, 2012 by Basketcase456

5.0 out of 5 stars GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3, September 22, 2011
This review is from: GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard (Personal Computers)
Excellent board.
GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

Pros
1. Lots of USB ports including USB 3.0
3. Good software/driver disk.
4. Lots of internal headers for additional USB ports.
5. Excellent manual and installation guide.

Cons
1. No fan headers on the back side of the board. Had to build an extension cord for my rear case fan to be able to reach the closest header which was located on the center, bottom of the board.
2. Bottom rear side of the board is a bad place to put the front panel audio header. Barely had enough cable length to reach it.
3. Forward facing SATA ports. Can be difficult to connect in all but the largest of cases.

From start to OS installation it only took about 45 minutes to build up this system. The board was easy to install minus above mentioned minor issues. OS installation and driver install went flawlessly. Rock stable, fast board. Would highly recommend this board.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good MOBO, March 23, 2012
This is a good mother board for the price. If you don't really want to do anything extra fancy like me but just want to build a solid pc then this is a good mother board if you're looking to go the cheaper route. The USB 3.0 on a motherboard this price is definitely a plus. The space between the pci slots is also well spaced for those who want to eventually add on another graphics card. My only warning with this is that if you are using the newer FX Bulldozer processors then be sure that you flash the thing or else it won't even be able to power up. For a first time builder like myself it was a good learning experience but for others this may save them a lot of headache.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good motherboard...Once you get it working, November 13, 2012
Alright, so I purchased the GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3 motherboard based on all the great reviews I saw online. Everyone had it averaged between 4-4.5 stars. I figured the bad reviews were outliers and I would have better luck. Eventually I could say that my experience has been good. I was building a HTPC to hook up to my TV. This did not have to be a super powerful computer.

Pros of the board I will not go into. The features listed for the board are the pros. This board is very inexpensive for all that you get. 4 RAM slots, 6 SATA and 3 USB leads are all a major plus. The one additional pro I will include is the TouchBios and @Bios utilities are get for quick Bios updates and flashing the Bios.

Cons:
- This is not a true ATX board. It is not wide enough. The last row of holes for screws were not even close to lining up in a standard ATX case. They did not line up for mini-ATX either. the holes were in between. This does not allow for a lot of support on that section of the motherboard, so be very careful when installing RAM.
- Bios cannot detect the speed of the RAM installed. I had purchased 1600 MHz RAM, but it automatically defaults it to 1333 MHz. I could not use the Touch Bios utility to update this either. I had to enter bios at startup.
- RAM slots are a little close to the CPU. This could cause a problem with some RAM that have a large heatsink because the CPU heatsink and fan will be in the way. Regular height RAM fits fine.
- Whatever you do, do not install all power saver and monitoring utilities. This turned out to be a disaster and the main reason this board gets 3 stars. I even bought a board to replace it, but have since decided to return that one. The gdrv.sys driver installed by these utilities causes BSOD. I would get a BSOD anywhere between 1 hour and 48 hours after startup. 1 hour was more likely. Once I removed all the utilities, I stopped getting the BSOD. The system has been up and running for over a week since. Install CPU-z instead for system montioring.

Once I got everything working properly, I have been impressed with this board. However, if you do not know how to properly troubleshoot issues and debug BSOD minidumps, you might be better off getting a different board. This is my first time building with a Gigabyte motherboard. I usually use ASUS, but this one was much cheaper with similar reviews and features. I will have to see as time progresses using this one if I decide to use Gigabyte again next time, years from now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid MB, April 15, 2012
I have been using Gigabyte mother boards for many years. This is another great product. Installation is very simple. Did not have any conflict with Corsair 8 GB 1600 , AMD-FX6100 6-core, Asus 6670 1GB graphics card, Rosewill wireless adapter , Asus DVD and seagate 1TB drive. The sleep mode in this motherboard shuts down everything including the ATX fans - and turns back on with a simple keyboard or mouse click. This is feature was not available in my old Gigabyte M57SLI-S4 where the sleep mode keeps the ATX fans on! So far, I am getting a stable Win 7 system (Score 7.0) - never saw a bluescreen since installation.

3.0 out of 5 stars Be very careful with your case choice, February 16, 2013
This board is both good and not so good. I liked that it had three fan-connects on the front MB but I had to mount the fan with the cord facing bottom and stretch my rear case fan's cord just above the graphics card to the opposite right side. Be very careful on case selection. You will need a case that opens on both sides. Because when you install your graphics card (I used a GTX 560ti) it will cover the upper two SATA connects leaving you with only the four lower that you can access from the usual door. You have to have the other side-door available for connecting and disconnecting the top two. Also the front memory slot latch partially interferes with the right top screw-hole so if you have a compact CoolerMaster 430 case like I did you will have a tough time placing and tightening the top right MB screw. There is almost no room at the top with this case and a top-mount fan was impossible especially with this mother board. As mentioned the SATA hookups face the front of the computer turned sideways from you as you have your main side-door open to work on the MB.

On the plus side the Corsair 10-10-10-27 1600Mhz memory was read and compatible and did not interfere with the Zalman 9500LED CPU air-cooler that was installed with the fan blowing air towards the rear-fan. The Corsair Vengence has very tall black heat-spreaders. In fact with the Zalman cooler facing rear I could have filled all four memory slots with the tall memory sticks. Remember that some coolers will not allow this on this motherboard as the memory slots are extremely close to the CPU mount. Do not use Artic Silver for your CPU installation unless you are extremely good in your hand and eye dexterity. I recommend Tuniq TX2 or another non-conductive thermal grease for the CPU to CPU-cooler contact. Artic Silver is conductive and will short out your cpu and board if too much is supplied. I learned this the hard way on overclocking an Intel Duo CPU years back. Artic Silver will also dry out in a couple years and need to be redone.

There is no usb 3.0 connection on this motherboard other that than the two that are on the back i/o plate. So you will not be able to connect a front flash-reader panel's usb 3.0 port if it's cable has the standard usb 3.0 motherboard connector. Some flash-card reader front panels have 3.0 cable exit the rear of your case and connect to the back usb 3.0 i/o ports. I do not like to have cables sticking out the rear-case if I can help it.

I liked that the Gigabyte MB disk installs drivers without any problems. I can not say the same for ASUS MBs and had problems with their MB disk installation software. Make sure you uncheck the the stuff you do not want from Gigabyte's installer. There is a Norton Internet Security that is good for 60 days and I did not bother as I had already bought the software. Also Gigabyte's overclocking utility software is very flakey, unstable, and a poor way of overclocking your system. I don't usually overclock anymore as the graphic cards do most of the work these days. But if you get better memory I'm sure with studying the internet articles you can easily get a 10-20% OC.

My AMD FX8350 CPU was read and worked with this motherboard and I did not need to flash my version 3.0 board as it had the FB bios version already on it. If you order I hope you get the newer board too. One last thing, there are less screw-holes on this MB and so it will overhang its support screws that it has. So when you install your main power supply make sure you hold the board up towards yourself so you will be able to push the connection in firmly without bending and damaging your motherboard. I wish you all a successful build without headaches. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars works great, March 20, 2013
I got the v.3 board paired with fx6300,8g ddr3 1600. bios ran great right out of the box. had to adjust ram settings in bios to run 1600, it only ran 1333 out of box. just change "set mem clock" to 8 in settings if I remember right. Havent tried the usb3.0 yet but all 2.0 work fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great motherboard, February 16, 2013
Works very well on my computer, allows me to run both of my video cards in crossfire x, seems pretty well made.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Budget Gamer Board, January 30, 2013
2 days into new build and it's not had any hiccups yet..lol. Love the UEFI bios, very easy to navigate and easy to flash BIOS. You don't even need to be in BIOS to flash, you can start @bios from program menu, select closest server to get latest BIOS version..This was my first AMD build and went as smooth as one could wish for.I replaced a Nvidia 790i ultra SLI with Q6600 quad core @ 2.6ghz with 4 GB of overpriced ram that ran Battlefield 3 at low settings with 40-50 FPS..After this install with AMD FX-8150 8-Core Black Edition Processor Socket AM3+ FD8150FRGUBOX and PNY 8GB Kit (2 x 4GB) 8 Dual Channel Kit DDR3 1866 (PC3 15000) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM MD8192KD3-1866-X9 ,, I ran BF3 just for a bit earlier, in heavy battle was getting 70-90 FPS. Recommended for anyone wanting a budget gaming PC, think is kind of close to 990FX boards but without all the bells and whistles...this board good for single GPU players as the other PCI-E slot is X4. And I would have preferred there be at least 1 USB 3.0 header for expansions...but for the price of this board, I have no legitimate complaints.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great board for the price, October 15, 2012
This is my first build since the 1990s (suffered a mac fettish for a while), and the drivers/bios went smoothly. I put a FX-8150 in there with a liquid cooler and it has been running great. I put 4 4gb rams sticks in, although I do regret going 1333 (I did not realize how much of a difference fast RAM makes in gaming). I plan to upgrade to 1866 ram for my next upgrade. I am running an XFX 6870 black edition and it is perfect with this board, butI am no longer thinking of crossfiring it, even though a second card would be quite cheap these days. The board is great for under $100, but I fear that two cards would overwhelm the board. I hear you really needa double copper pricy board to handle crossfire/SLI. I plan to upgrat ot a 7870 or 7950 sometime after Christmas.

All in all a solid board. I built a rather top-end system for well under a thousand bucks (paying full price for Windows 7). Make sure to put this in a case that can get the heat away. I have it in a basic collermaster 430, but I have high-end fans in every slot blowing like a Shanghai girl. This is especially true if you want to crossfire or SLI your graphics cards.

I strongly recommend this board, and also recommend going one step up to the UD3 if you can spare a few more coins. AND BUY A MODULAR POWER SUPPLY! Trust me. It is worth it.

AMD FX-8150
Gigabyte GA-970A-D3
Mish. 16gb RAM 1333
XFX 6870 black edition
XFX 850W Pro PSU

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent robust mobo, August 31, 2013
Awesome board, although the fan plugs are placed awkwardly for my case (CM 660).

The Bulldozer support issues mentioned by another reviewer shouldn't be an issue for newer boards, mine is a Rev. 3.0 and I'm running a FX-8350 processor with no issues and no need to Flash the BIOS.