5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, AMD meets SLI...
The is a nice motherboard for the price I got it ($139.99). Although it lacks some features that it's ASUS counterpart has, this Gigabyte motherboard is $30 cheaper than the ASUS model. It has a nice 4 slots of DDR3 RAM; 2 of which I am currently using, and I can easily upgrade to more whenever I need to.

This motherboard supports the new AM3+ socket, which...
Published on August 7, 2011 by wlmeng11

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible company with horrible customer service...
Published 13 months ago by E. Seekford

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, AMD meets SLI..., August 7, 2011
This review is from: GIGABYTE GA-990XA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990X SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard (Personal Computers)

This motherboard supports the new AM3+ socket, which will be used on AMD's 8-core Bulldozer processors when they are released. Of course, unlike Intel, AMD makes sure that AM3+ is backwards compatible with AM2, AM2+, and AM3, so you can still use your older processors without any problems.

There are 3 PCI Express slots, and since this mobo features the new 990x chipset, it supports both ATI Crossfire and Nvidia SLI. If you only use one graphics card, the first PCIe slot will run at full x16 PCIe 2.0 speeds. However, this model will bottleneck the band-with to x8 when you use 2 graphics cards. If you want to get x16 speeds on your SLI/Crossfire setup, get the 990FX mobo, which is the next step up, or if you want to use 3 graphics cards, get the Crosshair V Formula. However, the performance difference between x16 and x8 is only about 5%, so it's not too bad.

For other expansion cards, there are two PCIe x1 slots and 2 legacy PCI slots. No AGP, but who uses that anyway.

The NB and SB have nice heatsinks on them, but mine still get a little warm, as I have no fan or water cooling directly on them.

As far as connectivity goes, you get quite a lot. There are 6 internal SATA ports which support SATA 3.0, so you will get 6GB/s (assuming a fast enough SDD), and the rear panel features lots of USB 2.0 ports, and even 2 USB 3.0 ports. Yes, it does have USB 3.0. You also get Gigabit ethernet, 6 audio connectors that are re-configurable in the Realtek control panel, 1 Firewire 1394, an optical S/PDIF out, and even one PS2 port for your legacy HIDs.

There are a lot of front panel connectors, so it supports the front panel ports of almost all cases. It has your audio, Firewire 1394, USB 2.0, USB 3.0 (awesome), your power, reset, and LEDS, and some other stuff I don't recognize.

The power connectors are a standard 24 pin ATX and a 8-pin 12V.

I forgot to mention this earlier, but the hyprid EFI BIOS allows for hard drives of over 3TB. I don't have anything like that, but some might. (Also makes it somewhat future-proof.)

The fan connectors are CPU, Power, SYS1 and SYS2. That should be enough for most people, or else just use Molex from your PSU.

Conclusion: It has a lot of 3s (as indicated on the box). USB 3.0, SATA 3.0, and support for 3TB drives. As part of the 900 series chipset, it finally allows SLI on an AMD mobo, but still supports Crossfire as well. The only con I can think of is the limited PCIe bandwith, but that isn't too big of a deal, and the 990FX is only a little more expensive. This is a great budget motherboard, and is quite future-proof with all the connectivity and new IO it supports. So if you're building and AMD system, might use SLI, and plan to upgrade your components in the future, this is a great option to consider!

My Build:
AMD 1100T 6-core processor at 3.3 GHZ
8GB (2x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHZ DDR3 RAM
PNY Nvidia GTX 460
Seagate 1TB HDD
Corsair CX500 500W PSU
Some generic DVD/CD drive
Cooler Master Storm Enforcer Mid-tower Case

I hope this [very long] review was helpful to you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Budget Gamer Motherboard, July 16, 2011
Sinochu (Saint Louis, MO) - See all my reviews
This is my first personal PC build, I wanted to dabble into PC gaming but didn't want to break the bank for an endeavor I may not heavily invest time on. At the same time, it is always smart to leave yourself with options and with an AM3+ socket to support the next generation of CPUs, a 900 series chipset to use these new processors to their fullest, and native SLI support this motherboard is perfect! I can find myself using this board comfortably for years to come.

Support for USB 3.0 ports along with two USB 3.0 ports on the rear panel, Dolby Digital Audio for home theaters, and plenty of expansion slots. As I said before, the 900 series chipset has support for SLI now and the 990x chipset can support up to two graphic cards for Crossfire or SLI, with the second PCI-E x16 slot running at x8 speed. Since the first PCI-E x16 slot and the second uses the same bandwidth using both slots lowers the speed of the first slot to x8 as well, but that is only like a 5% decrease in performance compared to the 990FX chipset which can support more slots and at x16 speeds.

I digress, if you're an entry level or budget gamer this isn't a concern, the point of SLI and Crossfire is to allow you to increase performance on the cheap, by purchasing one card and later on getting another when the price is even lower. Yes you could get by w/ a 970 chipset, but you might as well shell out the couple extra bucks to have the option to support SLI or Crossfire.

Another case for future proofing is that the 900 series chipset can use the upcoming Bulldozer CPUs to their fullest, you don't want to get an 800 series mobo with an AM3+ socket because while Bulldozer will work, you just won't be able to get all of its performance. Currently I'm using a Phenom II x4 955 BE, two years from now when I feel like my CPU is bottlenecking I can easily switch the CPU without also having to purchase a new motherboard. Once again, another way to save money for those on the budget AND keeping yourself open to options for the future.

Here is my build:
Optical Drive - LG CD/DVD burner OEM
Case - Antec Three Hundred Illusion
PSU - Antec High Current Gamer 520
GPU - EVGA Nvidia GTS 450

At the time I purchased this motherboard for $139.99, better than all of the competitor prices!

4.0 out of 5 stars GIGABYTE GA-990XA-UD3, September 4, 2011
Have a few days on this board so far. (Update June 11 2014: Great buy. Its still going strong.)

+ Three decent sized heatsinks which for the price is great. They do not, however, have heat pipes which are a step up from these.

+ Sata 6Gb/s when paired with a similar hard drive is a nice experience.

+ Usb 3.0 will provide nice speed increases.

+ TouchBios is very interesting as you can use the bios and make changes as well all within the Windows OS. No touchscreen required.

+ DualBios is another very interesting thing. Two bios chips are onboard. If one fails for whatever reason the other automatically takes over at the next cold boot. I wonder what are the chances of this happening vs. having to rma.

- Bios firmware updating could use a bit of improvement. Would be mighty nice if it could see NTFS formatted drives. Not just FATs.

- Windows HAS to reinstall device drivers after a firmware update... weird. My first Gigabyte board ever. Never seen that one before.

- Sata ports appear to be the new way of pointing them. They are pointed towards the hard drive bays. Possibly to make more room on the board. Plugging cables into the ports can especially be a challenge if using straight ended cables and in smaller cases.

--------
Additional: There are of course the sata cables that come with the board which, because of the bend, it makes the process a bit easier. In the pc case I own, getting the hand there properly is quite difficult. Some cases will be better for this and some worse.

The box supplies two L shaped sata cables. I would recommend using them, however, the L shaped ends may only be used with the top ports as the bottom ports probably do not have sufficient space to allow the L. Therefore it may only be possible to use three ports if using only the L shaped ends.

With that said, the use of more than three devices may cause complication and frustration. If the ports were facing towards us, the complication may still be there but the frustration would be lessened.
--------

- fan control aka noise control could be a bit more user friendly and offer more options.

--------
Additional: That said, it does do well on quieting the fans. Its just that there seems to be no "optimal" or medium fan speed mode.
--------

+ or - NO IDE ports. Shed the ancient IDE hardware or look somewhere else.

+ or - No cmos jumper cap. Removing the battery is how they want you to do it. Also stated in the manual is to use a screwdriver to short the cmos pins if that is how you want to do it. Works for me.

Overall a good board and by no means the best.

I would buy something else for my personal PC. My main goal with this board is reliability so if it lasts it will have been a good buy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible company with horrible customer service..., December 10, 2013
Purchased the motherboard, used it for a while with no problems. However, the motherboard began to have multiple problems with the video cards that would stop responding randomly and multiple USB ports shutting off completely. Contacted Gigabyte for warranty repair and have had nothing but problems from their customer service. The process is taking weeks and I still have not received the board back yet. I would not recommend that anyone purchase any products from this terrible company. If you have problems you will have a hard time getting any help and if you do it will take forever. Their corporate office is located in Taiwan and the only way to contact them is by making an expensive international call to speak to people that don't even speak English, only Chinese. I will not be purchasing any Gigabyte products in the future.

Update: Finally received the motherboard back from Gigabyte and within 5 minutes of booting back into Windows I am having the exact sane issues. Called their customer service once again and the only 2 options I am being given is to do another long RMA process or put a $140 hold on my credit card to wait for a new one to come UPS ground that will take a week from California to my house and then another week for the old one from my house back to California leaving my $140 unavailable to me for 2 weeks. This company is just terrible and not worth dealing with for me in the future.

1.0 out of 5 stars great reviews, but, November 19, 2013
had problems with this motherboard since I got it. continuously crashes if more than one app or video is running on IE

4.0 out of 5 stars Great MB, January 7, 2013
This MB handles everything i throw at it well what can i say Gigabyte all the way awesome product i pair it with the 8 core processor now its speed like WOW

4.0 out of 5 stars gigabyte motherboard, November 1, 2012
Awesome motherboard ,just wish a i/o shield came with it instead of me buying a new one, considering when i bought it 2the listing said like new with all accessories.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good motherboard for the price., September 11, 2012
I had bios issues with my FX6200 processor in this board. Windows 7 could only detect 3 cores. I found there are 11 different bios. So, I tried different ones till the F8 bios fixed the problem. Hope this helps someone with my same issues. After all, this is actually a pretty good board and arrived on time too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best motherboard I've owned in years!, July 29, 2012
My previous motherboard was a budget-line piece of equipment, and so perhaps I'm more impressed with the Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 than the average enthusiast. However, there is no denying this is a quality motherboard. I won't go over the specs, but I will say that this motherboard has supported nearly everything I've asked for or thrown at it. USB3 is *really* nice for compact external hard drives! This motherboard is heavier and feels sturdier than many I've dealt with over the years. Solid-state capacitors are becoming the norm, but those and the extra copper laid on the board are touted to give it great longevity. Considering that I only upgrade once every 4-5 years these enhancements make the 990XA very attractive. I've been running this board with an AMD 8-core cpu with closed-loop water cooling. I have stably achieved speeds of 4.6GHz, I've heard of others getting even more, but this motherboard will support your overclocking needs for sure! All the frequency and voltage controls you could need.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Gigabyte Motherboard, July 5, 2012
Great board, plenty of features. The only issue that this board has is that the SATA connectors are on top of each other. You need to use the included thin SATA cables because standard SATA cables with a full size connector may be too big to fit on top of each other. I would recommend this board to someone looking for a decent mid-range board.