5.0 out of 5 stars Runs well in my Hackintosh!
Bought this card as an upgrade for my Hackintosh running Lion. I'm not an expert gamer or video editor, however it does everything I ask it to do well. Gaming with the card with maximum resolution set rarely gets the card hot. Converting videos with Handbrake also does well. Get this card for your Hack!
Published on December 8, 2011 by E. Augustyn

3.0 out of 5 stars Overheats in Crossfire
So the ATI Radeon 6870 by Gigabyte is a pretty great card. It comes factory overclocked by 15mhz to 915mhz and can easily overclock upwards of 990mhz without any problem. The cooler is designed to keep the card very cool under load..... assuming you're not running Crossfire. That's where things go terribly wrong.

The issue with this card is that the cooler...
Published on August 12, 2011 by E. Nusbaum

5.0 out of 5 stars Runs well in my Hackintosh!, December 8, 2011
This review is from: GIGABYTE ATI Radeon HD6870 1GB DDR5 2DVI/HDMI/2x Mini DisplayPort PCI-Express Video Card GV-R687OC-1GD (Personal Computers)

3.0 out of 5 stars Overheats in Crossfire, August 12, 2011

The issue with this card is that the cooler doesn't exhaust the hot air out of the case. This type of cooler design pushes cool air down towards the PCB and out the sides, at which point it's normally exhausted out by the case fan. BUT, when running in Crossfire with two of these cards, the #1 card (at the top) is basically blowing the hot exhaust air down onto it's cooler making for very high operating temperatures. In my experience, the #1 card easily runs 10-15c hotter than the #2 (bottom) card. This means under high GPU loads (even at stock 900mhz clocks), the #1 GPU can hit 90c and eventually reach a point where the card will disable itself because it exceeds heath thresholds.

The only solution I've come up with to work around this issue is under clock the #1 card to 875Mhz and have a case fan blow cool air down into the gap between the cards. Doing this, I can keep the GPU temperature around 87-88c under high GPU loads. This is obviously a design flaw in the cooling for this card as I've swapped my two cards and this pattern always happens to the #1 card.

So, please heed this warning if you're looking to run this card in Crossfire: DON'T!

If you're looking to run this card by itself, then by all means! It's a fantastic card and great for overclocking :)

Cheers!

4.0 out of 5 stars LARGE - barely fits in Antec 300 case, November 3, 2011
Reference cards are more likely to be stable, and I encountered problems with the non-reference card I'd purchased.

I like the blue protector shields over the HDMI and DVI ports, and for the PCIe connector. Nice touch.

This card is fast, though your case's interior bay has to be wider than 10" for this to fit. The Antec 300 case does fit, but space is tight so route any cables properly.

Lastly, Amazon.com did not add any cushioning material to the package inside the outer box. When I opened the outer box, I was surprised to see the Gigabyte box with no protection (the plastic air packs). When I removed the card from the Gigabyte box, I noted the front plate was slightly bent at the bottom. I cannot determine if the shipping caused this or if the people packaging the card screwed up. Given the styrofoam being secure around the main card didn't affect the fans, and that the top of the backplate was not bent (just the bottom), I'm thinking that somebody at the manufacturing plant accidentally bent the bottom of the plate. Hence my knocking off one point. The card was secure. I just hope this isn't a bad omen, but despite the lack of air packs securing the Gigabyte box, enough circumstantial evidence is making me think it was at the factory.

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, but too powerful, September 24, 2012
This video card was awesome when I first built my new PC a few months ago. Very crisp graphics and really impressed me. However, on this day, it had errors and finally finishing up my research, the graphics card was too powerful for my Motherboard to handle.

Motherboard card was used on was "ASUS LGA 1155 - Z68". Definitely will be getting something that similar and more fitting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hackintosh plug and play, June 27, 2012
Building a hackintosh can be tricky and getting hardware to play nice is a real challenge. This works OOB and is a plug and play GPU solution for your hackintosh. So far I've had no problems. The fans aren't too loud and it's vast improvement over my onboard video.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Hackintosh, May 19, 2012
zKi Comp (Portland, OR) - See all my reviews
As other reviewers have stated, this video card works great in home built OSX machines (Hackintosh). I'm no gamer, but I have noticed that I can watch my 1080p mkv videos without even touching my CPU% and same goes for the iTunes visualizer, which used to make my Mac Mini lag and get super hot. I have played a little Boarderlands with this card as well, and it seems to perform well, at least in game play. The opening animated videos appeared a little choppy, but nothing I can't live with and, once again, the CPU% is almost unscathed as this card is taking most of the load.

Overall, I'm happy with this GPU. It dropped right into my Gigabyte MB and required zero additional drivers to work in OSX...perfect :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Balance of Features vs. Price, May 19, 2012
I was looking for a video card to use with my imaging workstation which straddled the performance vs. price balance and included a factory over clock and quiet stock fans. I build custom workstations for my clients mostly designed to process digital images and/or video, though lately I've build several day trading machines with up to twelve monitors.

There are many technical reviews posted on these video cards if you're interested in specifications, but I'm trying to write this review from a more common sense perspective. If you're buying a card for general gaming then most any ATI or Nvidia card which gives you the most power vs. price becomes your best choice. If you mostly play one game, then there are plenty of on-line reviews which benchmark performance with specific games, buy the most performance you can afford for the specific game. But what about for an image or video workstation?

There are two types of power/speed you need to be aware of. There are programs which task the GPU (graphic processor) directly, Adobe has done this with CS4/CS5/CS6 and this tasking greatly speeds up certain tasks. Other manufacturers of software such as gaming, file managing, imaging, video rendering and more directly support/task GPU's. Know your software. Adobe and others will have a video card support page providing a listing of specific GPU's certified to work with their product. You are well advised to by the most powerful card on this list within your budget.

Then you have regular rendering of screens. The more video resolution your monitor has, the more power you need to render screens. If the screens are mostly text then this speed won't matter much, but if the screens are images then you'll start to notice a slight delay as each screen is rendered to the screen. These differences exist where you'll often read the video card doesn't make a performance difference, but it does. It just makes a lot less of a difference than if your software supports direct GPU tasking. If you're rendering video, the power of the video card will make a significant difference in rendering time even if not directly tasked, but if the GPU is specifically tasked then matching a supported card will make the most difference in performance.

Gaming or workstation card? Do you get a gaming card like ATI's 6870 here, or perhaps ATI's Firepro 4900? IF your software directly tasks and supports the more expensive workstation cards, then you'll normally see a huge performance benefit from using such a card. If not, then the smaller speed increases you'll derive from the 'general' level of power a card can still be important, but not as significant.

In summary: Use the card whose GPU is directly tasked and supported by the manufacturer for best performance. With video rendering, gaming, and imaging these differences will be profound. If your software doesn't directly task the GPU then buy a level of gaming video card (ATI's 4000, 5000, 6000, 7000 series or Nivdia equiv) whose power best supports your application and budget.

With all that said, the 6870 IS supported in Adobe's CS4/CS5/CS6 and sits directly in the middle of what's available performance wise. This will be plenty of power for moderate gaming, image processing, or light video rendering duties. If you want more resolution/frame rates/detail for gaming then buy a more powerful card, if you render a lot of video then buy a more powerful and supported card, but if you're processing images this card hits a sweet spot which is 'just right' and will serve you well.

Mildly over clocked this video card provides roughly a 15% performance boost with great reliability over a stock clocked card. It's built well and provides (2) DVI connectors, one HDMI connector, and one Displayport connector. The three fans are liquid bearing fans which make little noise and cool the card very well.

Cooling is important. A well cooled card of the same power level can run 20-30c more cool than a same power and price card which isn't well cooled so this is one area you'll really want to pay attention to. More, these fans can make a huge amount of noise, especially when put under load. Bigger slower moving fans generally move more air and run more quietly than do small faster moving fans. This card had three quality fans that sit right in the middle of what's available and from 3-4 feet away from the CPU case you won't notice fan noise until you put the card under heavy load, and even then the noise level is moderate.

This card comes with the normal assortment of adapters and connectors and driver disks.

I've now ordered and installed over 10 of these in different imaging workstations and my clients are very happy with them. This card hits a sweet spot of performance vs. price few others do.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product--drivers buggy, December 30, 2011
I haven't had many problems at all with the 6870. It runs Skyrim on high settings perfectly, and everything else just as well.

Word of warning, though: Make sure you have a big case! The card's massive and WILL mess up your cord control if you're not careful with it.

The only negative is regarding the drivers: I've updated the drivers on Windows a couple times since early December and one of the updates consistently fails. Don't know what's up with that, but hey, I guess since the thing works, it's not a problem.

4.0 out of 5 stars Huge Card, seems to perform fine though, September 9, 2011
I was gonna buy the Gigabyte ati radeon HD 6850 based on good reviews from a friend, however it was out of stock from amazon and I would have to order from a third party (and lose my super cool prime shipping), however this card was on sale for 10 bucks more then the other one, and I being the naive soul I am assumed that it could only be better then the other one (based on the higher number).

Now onto the actual review.
After receiving it and having seen my friends install I assumed it would be easy however the 6870 is much MUCH BIGGGER. Like this thing is downright HUGE. I eventually (after lots of messing with it) got it in but it obstructs most of my case (Antec P183 v3) including the HDD slots across from it. This being said I would only recommend this to an experienced computer builder. I haven't run diagnostics or games on it yet so I couldn't tell you specifics about how well it performs but it does look fine just doing basics (just barely got OS installed). Then again any card should be able to measure up to basic OS demands so I guess I will update this review if it doesn't measure up for gaming and whatnot (I assume it will).

Also keep in mind that on the website for this product it says that it takes 500 W to run (takes two PCI-E plugs), I am personally using a 650 W PSU (also setup with an i5, a couple case fans, a relatively high end motherboard, an SSD, and a 7200 RPM HDD so that so I'm a little afraid to overclock at this point (don't wanna overdo the power). So might recommend a higher end power supply if you do proceed with this card.

Also received Deus Ex with ease unlike other reviewer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Broke., October 26, 2011
I got this card about a month ago and it worked fine with my pc. Ran Team Fortress 2, Deux Ex, and Witcher 2 really nicely. When I moved to my college dorm room it started haywiring. I tried to fix it as best as I could but sooner or later I realized that the card was the problem. I don't know what happened but I filed a return from Amazon and they gladly obliged. All in all it's a great card that can run high end games for the money.