Top critical review
17 people found this helpful
Set the record straight
on July 27, 2012
Yes, indeed it IS quiet. Much more so than my old compressor which lasted almost 10 years. Having said that, here are my concerns:
1) It is NOT a GM product. The box says "they" are licensed to use the GMC name but I really doubt it. The font and color doesn't look anything like GM. When was the last time you saw "GM" (in white letter in blue background/box) types as GMC on a box? On a truck, yes, never on their products.
2) The English on the product is horrendously incorrect. Clear giveaway that it is NOT endorsed by GM but a Chinese built compressor using the letters GMC. Just looking at the photoshopped imaged of this product in front of a GMC pickup truck on the box is odd enough.
3) The bolt that holds the wheel in place rests on a slated surface. You cannot tighten down the bolt without damaging the metal piece that holds the bolt.
4) There's a very cheap plastic cover that covers the top but wires are exposed on the side. Should you snag it, you'll rip it right out.
5) The front rubber mount and wheels fit into a round hole, not a slotted hole so that you can tighten with one hand. You'll need to flip this unit over and use two tools to get these parts in. When was the last time you saw anything designed like that? 10 years ago? Again, a cheap poorly designed unit.
6) An air intake filter needs replacing if it gets clogged. There's no way of cleaning the filter manually...only replaced. Very odd design.
I already have this compressor wired up in my garage so returning it is a hassle.
I was going back and fourth between this unit and the Makita MAC700 Big Bore 2.0 HP Air Compressor which is even cheaper. How I wish I purchased the Makita instead. There are over 300 positive reviews for the Makita...I was brain dead to purchase this unknown product.
If this compressor lasts even 5 years I'll be happy but if it breaks will this company even be around???
Yes, this compressor works, and yes it is quiet, but you just don't get that secure feeling once you get to visually inspect the unit close up.