Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: GMI Keepsafe Expansion Gate, 84 Inches
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Jake Owen Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Size: 84"W|Change

on January 5, 2015
This is a very good product. It is much more convenient to use for areas that need frequent access than expansion type gates. Only drawback is the need to make holes in the door moldings. But for someone who is a little handy, not a problem. The rubber foot in the middle is a great feature. It keeps the gate from swinging around when our puppy runs into it.

I would have given it five stars except for one thing: The release button is difficult to operate with one hand, since there is nowhere to apply leverage. I made small modification (see photos) by attaching a small shelf bracket opposite the white release button. Hooking a finger under the bracket gives me leverage when pressing the release button with my thumb. Now I can easily latch and unlatch the gate with one hand.
review image review image
33 comments| 102 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 1, 2008
I just got new carpet and furniture and wanted to 'start over' with my dogs (one aussie and one lab mix). They have had alot of freedom and the result was a very soiled carpet and alot of pet hair, paw prints and slobber stains. My problem with an open layout home is alot of wide spaces. I searched for a long time to find something that could expand the width between my kitchen and living room. This 108" gate is perfect. I have tile floor in the kitchen so I couldnt anchor the center down, but it doesnt matter because this gate is so sturdy, I just latch it and it looks solid. It is tall enough that it hits the dogs eye level. They havent even tried to push through. It gives me time to clean thier paws and let them dry off before they come and join me in the living room. They have thier own comfy beds they like so much, the dont even try for the furniture. So far we are a slobber, paw print and hair free zone in the places that make my house a home. Very awesome product!
11 comment| 69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 23, 2007
OK, it has been over 2 years since we bought this gate and it is still standing! We used it for my mother's visiting dogs, keeping kids out of the kitchen and in a doorway! Very flexible and simple for adults to open and close.
on March 25, 2012
This is exactly what we were looking for to block our 9 month old son from the kitchen. The opening we put the gate on is 82". As per the previous reviews, my husband did secure the screws into the wall with anchors. The gate is perfect size and folds back easily. It is not difficult to open for us and it keeps our son where we want him :)
review image
on July 20, 2010
This is a good expansion-type gate if you have the proper place to mount it - it has to be mounted on either a stud or wood frame to be sturdy enough. Also, know that this gate does not fold up all the way or cannot be pushed flat against the mounted surface. It will stick out about 18-24" from where it is mounted so make allowance for that.
on April 21, 2009
We loved this baby gate until one of the rivets fell out. A rivet is a permanent mechanical fastener and this gate is covered in them. Before it is installed a rivet consists of a smooth cylindrical shaft with a head on one end. The end opposite the head is called the buck-tail. On installation the rivet is placed in a pre-drilled hole. Then the tail is deformed so that it expands to about 1.5 times the original shaft diameter and holds the rivet in place. This particular rivet was never deformed on the buck-tail. If I had not heard it fall on the hardwood floor, I would not have noticed my baby pick it up and almost put it in his mouth! If you purchase this gate, inspect every single rivet just in case. . .

Update 4/22/09:
I emailed GMI about this incident and received a fast and concerned response. I am very pleased with how they are handling this issue. They will send a replacement and will pick up the defective gate for inspection, possibly issuing a recall. Other than the rivet issue, the gate is perfect to meet our needs. Hopefully, GMI will rectify this problem quickly.
77 comments| 117 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 6, 2011
I needed a gate for my front porch. The opening is 77inches and every other gate that would be big enough was a lot more expensive. I didnt want anything too expensive because I only plan on using it every now and then when we're relaxing on the front porch. I would still be outside with my son, I wouldnt leave him outside by himself, but I wanted him to stay on the porch and not run down toward the street. I installed the gate by myself. It took about 30 minutes. It would have got quicker had I had a second person to help hold the gate while I measured and lined things up, but I was able to do it alone.
review image review image
on September 8, 2008
I wasn't sure how it would work out - the distance I needed to cover was over 12 ft. We attached the 60-inch expansion to the 108-inch expansion and incredibly, it all works like it was made for it. This is a remarkably flexible product, easy to install and even easier to use. Very handy when it swings out of the way. EXCELLENT!!!
on April 30, 2008
This product is wonderful in keeping children and/or pets in certain areas or away from other areas. I have a very wide "doorway" between my living room and dining room and this gate works perfectly for me! I ended up needing an extra set of hands to help me install it (I think because the gate needed to be so wide)as the gate kept flopping over and just made it very difficult to measure and place the screws, etc. But once it was installed I immediately loved it. :-)
on August 3, 2009
GMI sells the only large expansion gate I could find to cover a very wide porch doorway. I needed something to contain my two small dogs and am very happy to have found this item. I have a Madison Mills expansion gate in the living room that is perfect for that spot. It's made of smaller pieces, moves and latches easier, but this one is sturdy (without the extra pieces for stability that block the view) and worth keeping. Because of my dogs, I've own a variety of collaspible gates. But for wider openings and areas I frequently want to block off, I greatly prefer gates that will store in small spaces and swing out of the way. I would give this gate five stars, except the rivets are a bit too tight (may loosen, so that's not a terrible problem) and the latch mechanism is functional, but stiff and somewhat difficult to use. That's the one thing I would definitely change.

***(3 weeks later) After about a week of continuous use, the gate was much easier to expand and contract. If it had been made differently, it probably would've been too flimsy. The latching mechanism is still not my favorite, but I find it easier to operate now. All in all, a 5 star product. (I tried to edit the 4 star rating, but unable to do so. Best I can accomplish is adding this note to explain!)