5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent dog barrier!
Published on November 1, 2008 by Psalm42

1.0 out of 5 stars Dangerous (update with response from company)
Published on April 21, 2009 by Shopper1

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent dog barrier!, November 1, 2008
Psalm42 (Kingston, WA) - See all my reviews
I just got new carpet and furniture and wanted to 'start over' with my dogs (one aussie and one lab mix). They have had alot of freedom and the result was a very soiled carpet and alot of pet hair, paw prints and slobber stains. My problem with an open layout home is alot of wide spaces. I searched for a long time to find something that could expand the width between my kitchen and living room. This 108" gate is perfect. I have tile floor in the kitchen so I couldnt anchor the center down, but it doesnt matter because this gate is so sturdy, I just latch it and it looks solid. It is tall enough that it hits the dogs eye level. They havent even tried to push through. It gives me time to clean thier paws and let them dry off before they come and join me in the living room. They have thier own comfy beds they like so much, the dont even try for the furniture. So far we are a slobber, paw print and hair free zone in the places that make my house a home. Very awesome product!

5.0 out of 5 stars WE LOVE THIS GATE!, March 23, 2007
This review is from: GMI Keepsafe Expansion Gate, 84 Inches (Tools & Home Improvement)
OK, it has been over 2 years since we bought this gate and it is still standing! We used it for my mother's visiting dogs, keeping kids out of the kitchen and in a doorway! Very flexible and simple for adults to open and close.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dangerous (update with response from company), April 21, 2009
We loved this baby gate until one of the rivets fell out. A rivet is a permanent mechanical fastener and this gate is covered in them. Before it is installed a rivet consists of a smooth cylindrical shaft with a head on one end. The end opposite the head is called the buck-tail. On installation the rivet is placed in a pre-drilled hole. Then the tail is deformed so that it expands to about 1.5 times the original shaft diameter and holds the rivet in place. This particular rivet was never deformed on the buck-tail. If I had not heard it fall on the hardwood floor, I would not have noticed my baby pick it up and almost put it in his mouth! If you purchase this gate, inspect every single rivet just in case. . .

Update 4/22/09:
I emailed GMI about this incident and received a fast and concerned response. I am very pleased with how they are handling this issue. They will send a replacement and will pick up the defective gate for inspection, possibly issuing a recall. Other than the rivet issue, the gate is perfect to meet our needs. Hopefully, GMI will rectify this problem quickly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good gate but...., July 20, 2010
This is a good expansion-type gate if you have the proper place to mount it - it has to be mounted on either a stud or wood frame to be sturdy enough. Also, know that this gate does not fold up all the way or cannot be pushed flat against the mounted surface. It will stick out about 18-24" from where it is mounted so make allowance for that.

4.0 out of 5 stars FIVE stars -- I've tried to change this but program won't let me., August 3, 2009
GMI sells the only large expansion gate I could find to cover a very wide porch doorway. I needed something to contain my two small dogs and am very happy to have found this item. I have a Madison Mills expansion gate in the living room that is perfect for that spot. It's made of smaller pieces, moves and latches easier, but this one is sturdy (without the extra pieces for stability that block the view) and worth keeping. Because of my dogs, I've own a variety of collaspible gates. But for wider openings and areas I frequently want to block off, I greatly prefer gates that will store in small spaces and swing out of the way. I would give this gate five stars, except the rivets are a bit too tight (may loosen, so that's not a terrible problem) and the latch mechanism is functional, but stiff and somewhat difficult to use. That's the one thing I would definitely change.

***(3 weeks later) After about a week of continuous use, the gate was much easier to expand and contract. If it had been made differently, it probably would've been too flimsy. The latching mechanism is still not my favorite, but I find it easier to operate now. All in all, a 5 star product. (I tried to edit the 4 star rating, but unable to do so. Best I can accomplish is adding this note to explain!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product!, September 8, 2008
I wasn't sure how it would work out - the distance I needed to cover was over 12 ft. We attached the 60-inch expansion to the 108-inch expansion and incredibly, it all works like it was made for it. This is a remarkably flexible product, easy to install and even easier to use. Very handy when it swings out of the way. EXCELLENT!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars It keeps my son right where I want him!, April 30, 2008
This product is wonderful in keeping children and/or pets in certain areas or away from other areas. I have a very wide "doorway" between my living room and dining room and this gate works perfectly for me! I ended up needing an extra set of hands to help me install it (I think because the gate needed to be so wide)as the gate kept flopping over and just made it very difficult to measure and place the screws, etc. But once it was installed I immediately loved it. :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Customer Service, April 9, 2012
10 months ago we purchased a 108 inch GMI Keepsafe Expansion Gate.
I installed the gate outside on one of our decks to contain our dog. The gate worked great. A few days ago after a rain storm I opened (compressed) the gate and cracked one of the vertical slats on the gate. I had not noticed that the wood had slightly expanded because of the rain making it difficult to open.
I contacted Customer Service and explained my problem. To make a long story short GMI is sending me another gate, I just have to pay for shipping.
Needless to say I was plesantly surprised at the consideration given me by this company. This is the type of service you always hope to get but most often never find.

5.0 out of 5 stars Puppy Gate A+, April 28, 2011
Shipped fast and was packaged well. We bought this to go on our front porch to keep the dogs safely contained. We purchased one from our local home improvement store and it was not 1/2 the quality of this one and only about $5 cheaper. We returned it and found this one which is the same quality as the one we had 10 years ago.

I saw some reviews about the height being off. I find this hard to believe because the height will naturally go down the farther the gate is expanded so if you need a taller gate I would suggest ordering one longer than you need (it might work) or not ordering this type of gate. The gate is well made and the support in the middle really helps if you extend it the full width.

I do not know if I would suggest this for a baby gate or not. I personally do not like this design for small children. I do like it for a pet gate.

I also like the fact of it swinging open against the porch railings and not blocking any of the step opening (if placed correctly). If you put this inside your home you may have to use wall anchors or find studs (if they are in the right spot).

The clasp is easy enough to open but would be difficult for small children. It is a little stiff to begin with but loosens up over time.

4.0 out of 5 stars good, but not for teacup poodles., May 8, 2012
We bought this to provide our cats (and their litter boxes) with an area out of our new puppy's reach. now our new puppy is a teacup poodle. this gate was GREAT until he realized he could get underneath it with that darn "stabilizing leg" The leg intends to help to make this a sturdier piece of equipment, but it raised the gate up off the ground high enough our puppy could wiggle under it. we had to chop the leg off with a sawzall to make this work for us. If the leg was adjustable or removable our problem would have been solved, but we had to actually alter it permenantly, and now we have a jagged edge rubbing against our floor. I only hope it doesn't tear up our floor before we come up with a better solution. the gap created by the diamond cut outs of the fence and the leg was in excess of 4 inches, and our little pup (and one or our cats) had NO trouble squeezing through it. if you are buying this for kids, it is probably great, or even larger animals, but beware if you are buying it for a SMALL dog. It was a little tricky to get installed low enough to the ground after we altered it, also, but it was manageable.

Rate and Discover Movies