Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: GMYLE (TM) Micro Mini USB Wireless B/N/G 802.11n RTL8192CU WiFi LAN Adapter Windows Vista/XP/7/MAC
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

on January 21, 2011
I bought this for a laptop with a broken wifi card. I did not want to buy one of the bigger wifi dongles because they tend to break and/or wear out the USB ports. Size-wise, this mini-dongle is barely noticeable. It is so small, you can plug it in and forget about it. Unfortunately, it can't beat the laws of physics and small size means also a small antenna and poor reception. There is a reason why many wifi-addon adapters come with huge antennas. This little thing does not get full signal strength even within 20ft of the router. As a result, even though this is advertised as a wireless-n card, you won't get wireless N speeds. The best I have seen was 54mbs, but oftentimes less as the adapter slows down when the signal weakens. That being said, you still can't go wrong for this price. Unless you have a huge home, this card should be adequate. Otherwise it works great. I ran streaming radio on it for hours without a single hiccup. Despite weak signal strength, the adapter has never actually dropped the signal. Unlike other mini-dongles, this one does not get very hot, just a little warm. Driver installation was a breeze. The card uses a standard Realtek chipset. Windows update detected the card right away and had a more current driver than supplied on the mini-CD.

Note that this adapter does NOT have a WPS button, even though the packaging advertises this feature.
22 comments|48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 7, 2011
My computer is a seven-year-old Dell desktop, a few dozen feet and a few walls away from our Airport Extreme wireless router. I've been using an almost ten-year-old Linksys USB adapter up to now for Internet connectivity, with a typical connection speed of ~24 Mbps. This Linksys adapter also had a very irritating habit of losing connectivity whenever I disconnected any other USB device, such as an external hard drive or my mobile phone, from my computer; I would have to physically reset the adapter by unplugging its USB cable and reconnecting, in both the original Windows XP and the Windows 7 I've upgraded to. I figured it was time for a change.

This replacement USB adapter, chosen on price and on the number of positive reviews it received, arrived quickly and installed easily three days ago, two or three days after ordering. That ~24 Mbps connection speed almost trebled to 65 Mbps instantly. An equally important benefit to me: I can now disconnect other USB devices from my computer without losing connectivity.

Summary: excellent, inexpensive product that was the perfect solution for my purposes. Recommended for others in similar situations.
on October 7, 2010
it works great with my router. upgrading my laptop internal wireless wasn't a viable option so I figured for the cost I'd try this. With windows 7 64bit edition on our laptop I plugged this usb adapter in and without using it's included cd windows recognized it, installed it's own driver, then I had to log back into my router with this adapter and bam it worked perfect. signal went from 54k to 150k instantly it was amazing. I have another computer still using wired ethernet 100 and this wireless adapter is faster than it. I'm considering upgrading my router to see if I can get even more speed but we'll see about that later. for now I'm totally satisfied.
on March 6, 2011
Received a laptop back from "warranty" with a faulty wireless card. I didn't want to deal with the wait again and decided to buy this unit. Compared it to Airlink and others on here and decided for the price I would give it a shot. The range is great. I grab my signal from a neighbors router which is about 30ft away and 4 thick walls in a pre-1940's built complex.

Very inconspicuous and sticks out maybe 1/2" from back of my laptop. Software was easy to locate and download on the mini-cd that is sent with the dongle(Win Vista). I did have a temporary dongle which I bought from Walmart at 4am when my stock unit broke and was doing research for a class and this one clearly has been better than the Cisco-Valet unit I purchased for around $40 on clearance(has since been returned).

This unit is more compact, which is less hassle than having a full size device like the Cisco hanging off my portable tablet PC. It is thus more flexible and the device management software is much better. typically 4 bars of strength at 20-30feet. Works as well on campus and does not dip below 3 bars at any given moment. Have owned unit approximately 2 weeks and decided to wait an ample amount of time to write a review and am very satisfied as should you.
on September 15, 2012
I'm using a mid-2009 Macbook Pro running OSX Lion (10.7.4 specifically). Lion, as I'm sure many of you Lion users know, has some sort of bug that causes the "Wifi: no hardware installed" error. Not wanting to tear down my computer and replace my Wifi card for what was most likely a software malfunction, I bought this little wireless adapter as a short-term solution until the bug gets fixed. First obnoxious thing: tiny CD, not regular size, so you can't even put it in your Macbook. I put it in a PC at work, pulled off the drivers and installed them from a thumb drive but my computer still didn't recognize my wireless dongle. Went to the Gmyle website, absolutely no help (no drivers or anything).

Finally today I googled "gmyle adapter lion" and I found another Amazon review for a different Gmyle wireless adapter that talked about the drivers being on the Realtek website. Lo and behold, I went to the Realtek website ([...]), typed in the product number (RTL8192CU), scrolled to the bottom of the product page, clicked the software link, and found a driver for Lion! Installed the driver, restarted my computer, plugged in my adapter and a window popped up to connect me to my wireless network. Could not have been easier. I wish I had known about this when I first got the adapter - would have saved me a lot of frustration, so hopefully I can save someone else the same frustration I went through!

As far as the adapter performance goes, it seems on par with my stock Wifi card. I haven't used it much but so far I haven't noticed a difference in page load times or streaming video. I'll edit/update this review when I've used it more to include more actual performance observations.
33 comments|25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 6, 2011
The shipping on this was incredibly fast, but, the antenna never worked from the day I got it. I installed it exactly as directed with the CD, and it couldn't even pick up the signal from one room to the next. I uninstalled it and reinstalled it thinking maybe I did something wrong, but still no luck. My computer (older Acer Aspire laptop with first version of Windows 7) has an outdated wireless G card yet got a better signal than this antenna. I emailed the seller asking for help but they never responded. Also, this thing is quite heavy and does not make a good connection in my USB port, but other USB devices I have used work just fine. I know there are a lot of good ratings on this antenna, and maybe mine is defective, but it would have been nice for the seller to atleast write me back!
33 comments|38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 10, 2011
At first I had my doubts about this item. I had a 300 Mbps WiFi device prior but smaller (about the same size as this item but without the external antenna). This adapter works great for me and the software was easy to install. Shipment was supper fast and got it 4 days ahead of schedule. Over all Im very happy with the seller, the price and the performance so far. I just wish I could afford a faster device, but that may be in the near future.

Update: Item stopped working after 30 days. I sent a message to the seller 5 days ago and have not received a response. I sent another today. If still no response I will downgrade more and post here to let you people know. Be warey. Maybe bad co to deal with.

Well, it has been over 1 week since I first contacted the seller about the product with no reply. As I said before the item worked great for 30 days then nothing. I tried contacting Realtek by email and no reply from them either. I have down graded my rating on this item because of customer service from the mfr and the seller. At this point I would say use someone else and product. Like they say, "If your shoes you buy at a cheap price hurt your feet, its not a good deal no matter the price".
on September 17, 2012
I wanted this to be plug n play with my Raspberry PI and the topic said RTL81192CU however it really uses this chip RTL8188CUS. This is disappointing however there is a script here to get it working:

[...]

It does work but you have to do what it says above.
on November 17, 2012
This dongle is small and its range works well from a distance beyond what I expected. I highly recommend this wireless USB dongle for those of you who like things smaller, set it and forget it, plug and play be sure to install the software first before plugging it in. Great service and fast shipments, I will be buying from them again.
on November 20, 2013
I was using the tiny Edimax USB wifi on one of my Pi's, but kept getting dropped connections. I decided to try one of these. I unplugged the Edimax, plugged this in, and the Pi started using it without a hitch (not even a reboot). Signal is now 100/100, and the connection has been up for hours now without a hiccup. It's plugged into a powered USB hub at the moment, the next test will be to see if it can run directly off the Pi's USB port without drawing too much power.

I did have some concern when I first saw the package, which says "Wireless 802.11N" prominently. I thought at first I had ordered the wrong item, since I have only 802.11g, but it turns out that this device works for all 3, N, B, & G.