on February 8, 2010
This is probably the most over-rated multivitamin right now; the sad thing is, most people who buy this tend to think that they are buying something way better than Centrum or One-A-Day (as if that really says anything).

These vitamins are in caplet forms (which is basically just a coated tablet) and they are huge. If you're not good at swallowing pills then this multi should be avoided.

Now, let's talk about the quality of this product, after all, most of us take vitamins to improve our health so let's see if this multivitamin has what one would really need:

The good thing is that 50% of the vitamin A is in the form of beta-carotene. And unfortunately that's about where the good stops and where the rest of the cheapness of this vitamin begins:

It lists the calcium as a mixture of calcium carbonate and calcium citrate. Calcium carbonate is a very cheap form of calcium and has a very low absorption rate in the body. Most cheap vitamins (such as Centrum and One-A-Day) uses calcium carbonate because it's cheap and the general public doesn't know any better. Calcium citrate on the other hand, is a very expensive but possibly the best form of calcium available. GNC's Mega Men does a tactic to fool people into thinking they are getting quality calcium: they mix both the carbonate and citrate forms of calcium together, without even stating what percentage of the calcium is in the carbonate form and what percentage is in the citrate form. For all we know, this could be 99% calcium carbonate and only 1% calcium citrate.

Another cheap ingredient is magensium in the form of magensium oxide. Again, magnesium citrate is the superior form of magnesium. This time GNC doesn't even try to disguise their cheap magnesium, it is just straight up cheap magnesium oxide. Zinc is also in a cheap oxide form.

Vitamin B12 is in the cheap cyanocobalmin form, which methylcobalamin is the active form of B-12, another strike against this cheap multi in disguise of a quality product.

This vitamin does give 200mcg of selenium which is the desired amount to get the most health benefits according to the latest research... too bad it's not in the L-Selenomethionine form which is the active form of selenium.

The list goes on on why this is actually not that great of a vitamin, but the topper, to top everything off, it contains titanium dioxide which is a possible carcinogen.

Bottom line: look for another multi. This is really not much better than Centrum of One-A-Day, but it sure is a HECK of a lot more expensive!

Tips to look for in a multiviatmin:

-Vitamin A as 100% betacarotene (the safest form of vitamin A, unless you smoke, in which case beta-carotene can increase your chances of lung cancer)

-minerals in either citrate or amino acid chelate forms, but NOT carbonates or oxides, i.e. calcium citrate & magnesium citrate (not mixtures such as what this multi does)

-methylcobalmin for vitamin B-12

-200mcg of selenium in the L-selenomethionine form

-capsule, softgel or liquid is the perferred form since caplets/tablets have a harder time dissolving and some brands have been found to not dissolve at all... for the record, GNC Mega Men's does not have this problem.

-Avoid vitamins that have artificial fillers or objectionable ingredients, such as titanium dioxide.

Almost no multivitamin is going to be completely perfect so some additional supplementing is almost always going to be needed. But this multivitamin just has too many flaws to over-come.
2727 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 7, 2009
This Multivitamin is in a league of its own. Sure its a little more expensive than the One-A-Days and Centrums, but trust me, you get what you pay for. Mega men are time released so they last all day, whereas the other two brands go through the body after only 4 to 5 hours. Ive also heard that the cheaper brands, namely Centrums, have bonding agents that don't digest completely and get stuck in the body. I've used all 3 and Mega Men blow the others away. Don't waste your time or money on anything else.
VINE VOICEon October 20, 2009
What makes GNC vitamins stand out is their timed release. Rather than releasing all the vitamins all at once, the GNC vitamins are designed to release the vitamins over a longer duration. If you have any liver problems, then this vitamin is ideal since it doesn't release all the vitamins all at once which may overwhelm the liver.

I can take two tablets of this vitamin all at once knowing this vitamin is a timed release. I don't need to take one tablet in the morning and one tablet at night.

I started to take these vitamins to improve my energy level during mid-day. This vitamin has improved my energy level but getting and staying fit has helped me even more.

Overall, this is not a miracle product. It will not make a unhealthy person healthy and it certainly will not mitigate bad diet and lack of exercise. But if you are one of those people who take vitamins for a energy boost, I highly recommend these timed release vitamins which allows a person to take two tablets at once and the energy boost will last longer.
Verified Purchase
I noticed the first morning after i took this(after dinner @ approx' 6pm the previous day) how i felt awake when i got up. Trust me on this one, I'm not a 'morning person'...that was then...now thanks to Megamen when i get up i'm up and ready to go. No more lousy and low feeling of tiredness.
I even tested it when i was going to get only five hours sleep after a hard day at work and the same good feeling in the morning. Normally my eyes would be half open and i'd be the most groggy in my house...NOT any more - for real. I sometimes skip a day here and there to really test it fully and i feel the difference each time. With breakfast(after) your day is alive and i can attest to the drive you feel. Great product. I'm a very active and busy person so that might make you see my need. If you are not a busy person you might get too busy(if u get my drift) so be cautious...lol.
on October 29, 2010
Verified Purchase
Before taking these vitamins I couldn't lift a car. After taking these vitamins I still can't lift a car but I at least have the energy to try!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
These are pretty much horse sized tablets, and they taste bad. Pretty much par for the course with vitamins though. If you need a good muti vitamin, and can handle the larger size of these things, Mega Men is for you.
on June 7, 2010
I work out and run 10-12 miles a week, so I need a multi that will perform as I do. I am willing to pay a little more for premium supplements because I believe they are much better for you than the cheaper ones, some of which are worthless. I know that when I bought the less expensive vitamins I didn't have the energy or stamina I needed and my workout suffered. I tried the trial version of Mega Men and noticed an immediate difference. First of all, I was able to finish strong whether working out or running. Next, I maintained my energy level, even later in the day, when I would normally begin to tire. Finally, I noticed that if I stayed on the Mega Men supplements, I didn't get unusually hungry, and could more readily control my cravings. This puts Mega Men at the top of the list of multivitamins. I only use Mega Men and one other multi, for which I also gave a review.
on February 19, 2009
Verified Purchase
I live in NYC and deal with all sorts of germs from all over the country. I started taking this and I haven't been the same since. The feeling you get when you take two of these is like a pure adrenaline shot. The amount of vitamins you get in these pills is simply unparalleled. The only con I can think of is that you'll have to use the bathroom frequently and your urine will be lime green. Not sure if that's a con for you or not. Anyway, I take these things religiously and can't imagine going any extended period of time without them.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 26, 2010
Verified Purchase
I took these vitamins when they first came out about 6 years ago, and didn't really notice a difference. The GNC sales guy said I'd feel great after about 2 days, but I never felt differnt. I'm dieting now, and decided retry taking these and all I can say is wow! After about 2 days I did notice the effects, and they kept getting better afterwards. I'm very energized and just all around feel good. I highly recommend this product.
VINE VOICEon July 4, 2010
Verified Purchase
You can't do any better than this for a men's multivitamin. It has no iron, 50% Vitamin A as beta-carotene, and a nice fruits and vegetables blend to help balance the diet for those of us who don't get enough variety of those in our daily diets (aka pretty much all of us).

There's not really anything that this vitamin is missing. The only downside may be that it has more than you need of some vitamins, but nothing toxic, just saturation that will flush out of your system and so is wasted.

Note that there's a Sport version, but it's basically the same product with some BCAAs, Taurine, Glutamine, and Creatine substituted for the fruits and vegetables. If you're working out regularly, I recommend you just take a good protein blend supplemented with simple Glutamine and Creatine, like Glutamine Powder Unflavored 1000 gr and Optimum Nutrition Creatine Powder 600G, Unflavored, (Optimum), (1.32 -pounds) Bottle. Don't sacrifice the antioxidants of fruits and vegetables in your vitamins just to jam these ingredients in there instead.

For reference, I take this product with Nordic Naturals Ultimate Omega, 1,000 mg Fish Oil, 180 Soft Gels and Green Tea Mega EGCG™ (100 veggie capsules). It's a great regimen and I've seen real results.