5.0 out of 5 stars Best Hose Reel Near the $100 Price Range
This is the best hose reel in this price range. Let me explain why:

Unlike Commercial-Quality Auto-Rewind Air Hose Reel with 3/8 RUBBER Hose this hose reel has dual support arms.

Unlike Rapid Reel Air Hose Reel - Holds 3/8in. x 100ft. Hose, Max. 300 PSI this hose reel has automatic rewind and it's a very strong spring.

Unlike Reelcraft...
Published on November 14, 2009 by Amazon Customer

The manufacturer commented on the review below
3.0 out of 5 stars Leaks when unrolling hose
Reel is sturdy and well constructed with a decent rubber hose. No issues mounting it, setup to allow easy mounting. One issue is that as the hose unrolls, the external connector to the snubber (or pipe) can rotate and the o-ring leaks air. It isn't a lot of air and generally stops after a bit but it is disappointing.
Published on September 6, 2012 by Anthony

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Hose Reel Near the $100 Price Range, November 14, 2009
This review is from: GOODYEAR 46731 3/8-Inch by 50-Feet Retractable Air Hose Reel (Tools & Home Improvement)
This is the best hose reel in this price range. Let me explain why:

Unlike Reelcraft RT650-OLP 3/8-Inch by 50-Feet Spring Driven Hose Reel for Air/Water this hose reel is all steel so your drum wont get britle and break like all plastic does after 10 years.

This hose reel puts Grizzly H5683 Hose Reel 1/4" x 33' Pvc Casing to shame. You'd only buy that if you want to teach yourself the lesson of don't buy cheap junk.

Lastly, unlike Cox Reels EZ-P-LP-350 3/8" 50ft Air/water Safety Series Ezcoil Reel this hose reel costs 1/3 of the price.

Now it says it comes with a 2 year warranty, but I'm not sure that means much because finding parts may be difficult because this reel doesn't seem to be too popular yet. Also If I had to ship it to get warranty service it would cost $50 because it weights 50lbs. However it appears to be built well enough that the warranty shouldn't come into play. I hope to be around to update this in a few years and let you know.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
5.0 out of 5 stars good item, but not made well... but! company fixed it!!!, November 21, 2011
everything good, but the end part where the thread is and the hose joins was not crimped on well so it leaks and the fitting and hose separated!! and with a half inch hose with all that air rushing out, is loud and dangerous... and i only had it for a couple months and used only a few times...
manufacture should look closely into that...
now I have to cut the hose reinsert the barb and tighten it with hose clamp...
reel, hose, bracket seems to be strong but dont know how long it will hold up...
BUT,
Company was very helpful!! the company asked me to explain what happen... i did.. asked me if I would want another hose, and sure enough they quickly sent another one out!!
That is what you you call customer service!! AAAAA+++++
I knew good year was hoses will not let me down..
Problem solve!!!
5 STAR

Posted on Dec 19, 2011 2:20:19 PM PST
Hi, my name is Holly. I am a MIT Customer Representative. Thank you for your review and for making us aware of this problem. We are looking into it to make sure that it does not happen on other GOODYEAR hose reels. If you need any replacement parts, a new air hose or help with anything related to the hose reel, please feel free to contact us by sending an email to info@mit-tool.com or calling 888-MIT-TOOL. We want your experience using our tools to be great and appreciate your feedback. Thanks!

3.0 out of 5 stars Leaks when unrolling hose, September 6, 2012

Posted on Sep 7, 2012 8:57:26 AM PDT
Hi Anthony! My name is Holly. I am a MIT Customer Representative. I am sorry that the air inlet value/swivel leaks. We would be happy to send you a replacement. To arrange for shipping of your replacement swivel, or if you have any other problems or concerns, please contact us by sending an email to info@mit-tool.com or by calling 888-MIT-TOOL. We want your experience with our products to be great and appreciate your feedback. Thanks!

3.0 out of 5 stars Clogged Line, May 6, 2013
Mike C (Palm City Fl USA) - See all my reviews
We were getting very little air though the hose after setting this up in our paint booth. I decided to read some reviews and found a couple people with the same problem. One person said he disassembled all the fittings and found a white silicone or plastic membrane in the fittings and after cleaning them out the hose worked fine. Yep, I would call it hard white plastic. Probably something used to seal the threads and got in the lines and fittings. We cleaned out some hard white material from the fittings on the one we received and it seems to be working fine now. The last thing I would expect from a retractable hose assembly with Goodyear's name on it would be a clogged hose or clogged hose fitting(s). I can't imagine somebody in the automotive industry that's using an air ratchet suffering with this kind of air drop. Otherwise, this is a sturdy unit and I can't imagine we'll have other problems with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Industrial product; very heavy, very solid..., June 6, 2011
Works well, stronger ratcheting than I probably would have liked, and longer spaces between ratchets than I'd prefer, but works very well. Bolted mine to the garage floor and it works very well.

2.0 out of 5 stars Clogger, May 25, 2013
The hose reel arrived fine the box was intact. Mounting was simple. The first time I tried to blow air through very little pressure came out. Had to then pull the reel back off the wall and dissemble the fittings, the inner fittings were clogged with pipe thread sealant. I scraped out the crud as best as I could and hopefully it doesn't end up lodged in my tools. Seems strange that a company wouldn't simply test their product before shipping them out.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, March 20, 2012
Ann H (Puyallup, WA, US) - See all my reviews
The sad part is I read the reviews on this hose reel and should have went with my gut instinct to stay away from it. When there are multiple reviews saying the packaging was terrible and the reel arrived damaged, I took the word from the responder that they were working on better packaging to protect the item. The box arrived more than a week after it was ordered and looked as if it had been shipped, opened, returned, taped back together, and shipped out again; arriving with part of the reel poking through the box. The reel had obviously not been used, but for sure it had been opened and examined due to the scratch marks on the base of the item. The drum rolled lopsided and to be honest, I can't tell if it was bent in shipping, or if it is just because of the poor quality of the reel itself. The disappointing part are the reviews stating this to be a nice quality piece. It is a generic hose reel that is at the bottom end of the quality construction. Specifically, I reference the side bolt and bushing that do not even match for size to keep the roller mechanism solid, and the plastic as opposed to steel construction in the reel locking mechanism. Shame on GoodYear for attaching their name to this product and shame on anyone for thinking this is a quality piece. It is not.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well, November 3, 2013
It's very well built. I build a platform that was large enough for my compressor and the reel. Bolted the reel right to the platform. The compressor is more than heavy enough to hold the platform in place while the hose is pulled. Hose is very flexible. My only problem was similar to others. The swivel fitting had to be disassembled and white sealant cleaned out. I was getting a pressure drop. Now it is better. There is still a pressure drop bit not enough to worry about. I've noticed similar pressure drops with other reels. I think the drop is just inherent due to the swivel mechanisms needed and friction loss in the 50 foot hose.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good after I unplugged the hardware, January 2, 2012
I received the hose reel for Christmas and hooked it up today! Upon connecting the air VERY little air was making it through the hose. I removed all the fittings and found them to be full of a silicon type product that was probably used for sealant? Bottom line after fighting this and removing all the silicon and other debris from the line I reassembled and seems to be working well at this point. Just sloppiness on the manufacturer's part. Shipping from amazon was very fast and free - got to love that!

1.0 out of 5 stars I wish I could love it., March 11, 2014
I hoped against the reviews that this thing would be great. I would presume it is a product with great potential, poorly executed in the manufacturing process.
1. Near the center shaft there are 4 allen bolts on each side of the drum. One of them was cross-threaded, and not fulling screwed in.
2. The picture doesn't show it, but on the side opposite the brass air connection, there is a 9/16 inch bolt that holds the center shaft to the black metal frame. I screwed mine out with my fingers, and I have the grip strength of a teenage girl.

3. The black metal mounting base with four holes is bent. That means the bolts that connect the two black metal sides to the mounting base protrude. Now i have to bend the bracket, and can imagine I will break the paint coating in the process.
One would think the negative reviews on this item would prompt the manufacturer to increase their quality control. Do not kid yourself. Buy a different product.

Posted on Mar 12, 2014 8:21:45 AM PDT
Hello. My name is Melissa and I'm a Customer Support Representative for Michigan Industrial Tools. I'm sorry you received a defective air hose reel. Please email us at support@mit-tool.com or call us at 888.648.3371 and would be happy to resolve this issue. Thank you.