4.0 out of 5 stars Good solution for streaming music in the car
Published on September 5, 2012 by Steve-O

1.0 out of 5 stars Great sound quality, but........
I have been searching for a great device to stream my music from my iphone 5 through my car via bluetooth, and this came very close, the sound is much better than the Blackberry Gateway and the price is half,
but one FATAL FLAW...
Published 18 months ago by Greg Edwards

4.0 out of 5 stars Good solution for streaming music in the car, September 5, 2012
This review is from: GOgroove BlueGate Bluetooth Wireless Receiver for Home Stereos , Portable Speakers , Headphones and Car Music Sound Systems - Works with Apple , Samsung , HTC , LG , Sony and More Smartphones , Tablets , and MP3 Players (Electronics)
I was looking at a product to allow me to stream music in my car but keep the car's functionality for phone calls via bluetooth. I needed a receiver with a 3.5mm output that could be used with the stock radio input. I found a few products (some much more expensive or no longer made) but wasn't sure any would work for this specific need. Many reviews I read said you could be connected via bluetooth to either the car or the receiver, but not both at the same time - meaning if I got a phone call while driving I would need to either use the speakerphone, or disconnect from one device and switch to the car's bluetooth system. Not exactly hands free or convenient. Even if it did work, I was hesitant because many reviewers noted problems with the batteries in the units not lasting long or that they didn't work while charging.

I took a leap of faith for $30 and bought the Go Groove. It is a very small device and does not feel very durable. I am not too worried as it won't be moving often, but the thinness of the wire between the device and the 3.5 mm output has me concerned - I am worried it would pull off without much force. I will try to reinforce it somehow without looking ridiculous (some reviewers have suggested heat shrink tubing). If you plan to use this daily with a pair of headphones or earbuds, I would be concerned about the wear and tear of everyday use.

As far as functionality, it has one button, one small light and one input for charging. You press and/or hold the button to initially turn it on or pair it with a new device. Once on, it should pair automatically with a known device. When I get in the car, I just need to press the button for a few seconds and it is on and working instantly.

The quality of the music seems to be equivalent to the sound using 3.5 mm cable as before and the Logitech receiver I use with my home stereo - so good enough for me. Audiophiles wouldn't use bluetooth for music anyway right? Also, most importantly for my specific situation, it DOES pair with my phone and the car at the same time (see screen shot in user images above). Phone calls are seamless, music is interrupted by a ring or me placing a call via the car's bluetooth, and when I hang up, the music comes back. Really cool. It does not randomly disconnect or cut in and out. For what it's worth, I am using a galaxy note. Your mileage may vary.

Battery life has been a non-issue in the first 2 weeks. I drove a little over a thousand miles and only recharged once at home, and even then it was working fine but I didn't want to run out while on the road. I can't comment if it works while charging from the cigarette lighter as I have not tried yet. I will update my review when I do. I can say the charger being proprietary is a worry as well(the end that plugs into the unit is a small circle - not mini or micro usb), if you lose that wire, good luck finding a replacement.

All in all it is a great deal for the price if you want to add bluetooth music streaming capability in your car, even more so if you already have factory bluetooth for phone calls and don't want to choose between one or the other. I would have given it 5 stars if it felt a little more durable, the wire was thicker and the charger was a standard size.

*edit 9-30-12*

I have had the chance to try it and the unit does indeed work while charging in the car. No worries there.

It has developed an issue with the sound popping and hissing, but I think it is related to my phone and not the unit. It only happens when I am connected to the car's phone audio and the GG receiver for music. When I disconnect from the car phone bluetooth it goes away, so I can't fault the unit, but I am disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars inexpensive solution, March 1, 2012
I mainly wanted to stream music in my car from my android smartphone. This works perfectly as described, easy setup, clear response. Drawbacks are you have to turn it on each time you get in your car(it times itself off) and I charge it about once a week. The alternative would be paying 2 to 3 times as much and play trial and error to find one that would not give you the ground loop interference most of the powered ones give you. For the price I'm happy with my purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is Bluetooth 2.1 with A2DP <~~~ that makes the difference, May 2, 2012
The item works flawlessly. I thought there would be a lot of distortion. I am using it with a 4000w DJ system at my home and so far I have not noticed anything the untrained ear could pick up. I am ecstatic and might order another one to have in my vehicle. This would prevent me from having to connect the Aux cable to my phone every time I get into the car.

The A2DP makes all the difference in significantly reducing any distortion from the transmission. I couldn't pick up any obvious ones with the system turned up @ 70%.

A2DP devices offer a one-way stream of high-quality mono or stereo sound, unlike the more familiar Bluetooth headsets, designed for phone calls, that use a two-way connection.
Unlike older technology for wireless headphones, A2DB is digital; the headset is "paired" with the device sending, so you can have multiple headsets in range of each other without cross-talk.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good unit, good sound quality but one basic flaw, October 6, 2012
This bluetooth music receiver worked well for me, but it has one basic flaw which may make it unsuitable for your application. Unfortunately, all of the similar receivers I have used have the same flaw.

Pros: Set up and pair with no problems
Good sound quality - slightly less "boomy" bass than other models I have tested

Cons: After it turns off, will not automatically re-pair when it comes back on.

I installed this in a Camry to use as an aux audio input. My installation has it plugged in to 12V power all of the time, with the device hidden behind a door. This is the basic problem - when you turn the car on from being off, the unit does not automatically re-pair (tested with an iPhone 4 and iPhone 5). Defeats the whole purpose of the device in a hidden location if you have to open where you've installed it and press the button on the side of the device. As a comparison, nearly every car Bluetooth OEM and aftermarket radio will automatically re-pair.

So this product is 5 stars if you install it where you can always have access to the button, but not worth it if you want a hidden installation.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works but with minor annoyances., January 20, 2013
Length:: 0:09 Mins

I bought this because my cars bluetooth does not play media and needed a cheap add on. This product works in conjunction with my car's bluetooth which auto connects to phone when I start the engine.

I mounted the device to the side of the shifter housing next to my leg and ran the audio line with an extension to the AUX port which is inside the arm rest. I also have it plugged in to the charger in the back of the arm rest all the time. I can easily reach the tiny button and press it to connect to the phone.

I have to push and hold the button wait 5 secs for it to flash red/blue (you also hear a beep) and then on the phone enable the bluetooth media only (but not the phone) for this device.

What would've been nice is when the power to the charger comes on for the device to begin seeking to connect to the phone's bluetooth. This would save the extra annoying step of push and hold the button.

PROS:
Works in conjunction with built in bluetooth for phone.
Music sounds as good as if I had a wire from phone to AUX car port.
Inexpensive alternative to adding a complete bluetooth device in your car.

CONS:

Does not autoconnect when powered up with charger. Push and hold the button on the device for 5 secs and then drill down on the phones blue tooth settings to enable media so it can connect.
When a call comes in it will switch to the phones bluetooth but sometimes I have to press the Speaker button so the caller can hear me.
Once in a while the music playing will pause and start for 1/2 sec as if the buffer is too small and has to catch up.

5.0 out of 5 stars So far its perfect. (Update) Still Perfect, July 2, 2013
I am using this on my SkullCandy Crusher headphones. So far it is exactally what i wanted. If you plan on using this for headphones I highly recommend it. For me I just use headphones for working out and stuff like that so im no audiophile. Their has been no noticable sound distoration or lowered quality. I link it with my IPhone and keep my phone in my pocket. Product is very light and has no problem being attached to headphones. (I used 2 small strips of velcro) All said and done this product is exactly what i wanted to make wireless headhones. 5 stars, unless it stops working, which i doubt, lol.

Update: It is January 2014 And this product still works perfect. Great investment. I wont even be mad if it breaks Ive got more that my moneys worth.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great sound quality, but........, May 21, 2013
but one FATAL FLAW...
No Auto-pairing is a DEALBREAKER. Why buy a bluetooth device for wireless streaming when everytime you get in the car you have to hold the power button to turn on and pair. Completely stupid if you ask me.
Returned this!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fine, but 1 minor annoying misfeature, November 13, 2012
Michael Campbell (Milton, GA United States) - See all my reviews
I've used this product for about a month now in my car and by and large it works fine. It has 1 (or 2, depending on your point of view) somewhat annoying feature; it doesn't "turn on" automatically, and then when you turn it on manually the time you have to hold the switch to "on" is ridiculously long.

So, in a car (and I realize this is not specifically what it's marketed towards), you can have the device be plugged into USB for a constant charge, which is great. These USB ports in cars typically turn on with the key, and off with the key. So what would be ideal is when power/USB is applied, the device should TURN ON automatically. This one doesn't, so you can't "hide" it in a console; it has to be where you can get to it to turn it on.

Then, when you turn it on, you have to hold the button for 5-6 seconds. Which doesn't seem like a lot, but in this day and age of instantaneous "push -> on", having to hold a button is a bit silly. Also, it's just a second or 2 after that before it goes into pairing mode, which is not what you want.

So, the ideal enhancement would for it to turn on with power. That would solve every issue I have with it.

Now, the good parts. It's small, it works, the sound quality is perfectly fine. It paired with my Samsung Galaxy Nexus on the first try and accepts streaming from every media application I've used. It's just exactly what my non-bluetooth car needed. I would totally recommend this to anyone (that can handle having to have it visible and accessible).

5.0 out of 5 stars CAUTION! But Great Product, December 18, 2012
If I had really paid attention to the product description I never would have bought this but I'm glad my mistake turned out good.

I have had pairing problems with a couple of other bluetooth transmitters I have, and I got this to pair up with my GoGroove headphones, thinking products of the same brand would pair up, and work better. I was very frustrated when, after multiple attempts, they never would pair and finally realized my stupidity: This is a bluetooth RECEIVER and NOT A TRANSMITTER !! duh

It just looked almost exactly like the other bluetooth transmitters I had I just ordered it in haste, not carefully reading the description.

However, once I realized my mistake and realized what this is I am so glad I got it. As this is a bluetooth receiver, this means that you can listen to any bluetooth device (iPhone, iPad, computer, etc.) on your good earphones, and not have to rely on bluetooth headsets which I have found do not sound that great (granted, I have not purchased a multi-hundred pair of bluetooth headphones). I have a fairly good set of regular headphones and this device allows me to use my good pair of non-bluetooth headphones and I will just say that the sound quality is amazing and I really cannot tell the difference between using this thing versus using a plugged connection. Obviously the use can be extended to other things such as cars, speakers, etc. Finally, a mistake that turned out good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy audio link from iPad or iPhone, August 2, 2012
I had tried another Bluetooth adaptor but the audio quality was not that great. I searched the internet for other devices capable of streaming at least 320 kbps. The BlueGate bluetooth adapter has worked flawlessly for connection to my Spotify music playlist on both the iPad and the iPhone. Running at the highest bit rate on the Apple devices provides very clean audio. The battery life is excellent, and it alerts you to a low battery condition with a series of beeps that sound a lot like other beeping warning sounds in the car. We have used this with our Denon powered home system and in the cars via the aux input. I really enjoyed not having to buy a special adapter to match the impedence of the Apple audio out connector to line level inputs. The Blugate/Spotify/iPad arrangement provided our music for a recent party that lasted over 6 hours, without any interruption.