GPS to track ice fishing holes - is it possible? If so - which unit? Does anyone use a GPS unit to track ice fishing holes? My husband wants an accurate unit to track their favorite locations (with great accuracy). Any suggestions on what unit would do this?
asked by B. Nelson on December 15, 2008
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 answers
A
Most, if not all GPs units allow for "bookmarking" of sites you are at, as well as entering and saving coordinates for locations you haven't visited yet. Many offer POI's, aka "Point's of interest", and some allow you to upload custom poi lists, such as these http://www.poi-factory.com/taxonomy/term/55, however none of those are specifically geared for ice fishing. As far as which unit to buy, I'd make sure that it's durable & waterproof, or at least water resistant. ;-) Also, I'd suggest a unit that is geared towards marine use, so that it will contain, or at least allow uploads of marine charts or inland lake charts, if that's something that your husband needs for ice fishing.
R. Blais answered on December 27, 2008
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Most handheld GPS's made now are accurate to within a few yards, sometimes even better than that. For marking ice fishing spots you would not need a fancy one, any handheld unit should work. To keep it working in very cold weather, I suggest lithium batteries, which also last longer.
R. Devinney answered on April 10, 2009
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   Next ›