5.0 out of 5 stars Essential for any "green beauty"
Published on September 23, 2010 by Shannonmarie

Published on May 21, 2012 by M. S. Tedor

1.0 out of 5 stars If you're planning to buy the Kindle edition, read this first!, May 21, 2012
This review is from: GREEN BEAUTY RECIPES: Easy Homemade Recipes to Make Your Own Organic and Natural Skincare, Hair Care and Body Care Products (Paperback)
I bought the Kindle edition thinking that the 2 other reviewers who bought it first were just exaggerating. Well I think they were too kind. It seems that the Kindle edition they are selling here is a draft! Seriously. I am no English expert, heck, it isn't even my first language, but I could tell some of the lines needed copy editing. There were a lot of misspellings and typos. In the chapter that talks about moisturizers, a stray page about lip balms were inserted in the end of the chapter with a note saying "ADD!!!". And then another one appears after the chapter about scrubs. A big bold "ADDD!". That was the last straw. I mean, the Kindle edition isn't that cheap. $7.99 for a book draft? I've bought a $0.99 book on the same topic (beauty recipes) and it was way better written than this one. I planned to use the book as a reference for a new hobby. Obviously this was one clearly doesn't cut it, with no working table of contents.

As for the content and recipes themselves, if you're new to this hobby of creating your own homemade beauty products for your own use, I'd like to add that the recipes are not for small portions. I'd like to test a lot of recipes and though I could just cut the recipes in half, it could be a cause of a minor headache with several ingredients per recipe.

Overall, I was very disappointed with this book. I highly recommend a cheaper and better book by Jenna Pratchett (Natural Beauty and Skin Care Tips) for beginners who are just testing their wings on this hobby. Nevertheless, I'm glad I was too excited to read this book immediately and was able to return the copy before the 7 days "warranty" was done.

If you're determined to get this book, by all means, please get the printed copy because the Kindle edition really pissed me off. I seriously hope the sellers would review the Kindle edition and then redistribute if for sale.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential for any "green beauty", September 23, 2010
This book it is essential for any "green beauty." As the followup to one of my favorite beauty reference books (seriously, its predecessor, "The Green Beauty Guide" has never been caught collecting dust on my shelf), "Green Beauty Recipes" has found a home amongst some of my most loved cookbooks. Although it's not full of recipes you eat (well, some of them might taste good, and are certainly safer to consume than most of the beauty products on the market), this book is getting as much, if not more use than its new neighbors (my cookbooks, of course).

There is something for everyone in this book, including Cleansers & Toners, Creams & Lotions, Hair Treatments, Acne & Anti Aging, Scrubs & Masks, Baby Care Products, Fragrances & Deodorants, Massage Oils & Body Lotions. Most of them are vegan or can be adjusted to be made completely animal product-free (only a few contain eggs, dairy or honey). The recipes also vary from the simplest handful of basic kitchen ingredients to some slightly more complex creams containing essential oils and such.

I had a ton of fun testing out recipes from this collection with my friend and our tiny tots. We somehow were able to have a spa day of sorts, while including her infant son and my toddler daughter (who even sported a Troll Princess Mask from the book). We did green masks, cleansed and exfoliated with a Peach and Lime Exfoliating Facial Soap, spritzed on some Skin Detox Toner (I'm a huge fan of this one; I've been using it ever since then), moisturized with a little coconut oil, smoothed our lips with the Sweet Kisses Lip Scrub and topped them off with the Golden Shimmer Lip Balm. And did I mention the relaxing Lemon and Vinegar Foot Soak? We're definitely doing that one again.

The best part is that these recipes work for my sensitive skin. Take it from someone who has had her share of natural beauty experiment disasters, this book actually is kind to your skin and the environment, too. I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Indispensable read for anyone who cares about their health, October 13, 2010
Maria G. (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
I have bought this book about a week ago and I have tried nearly ten recipes. All of them produce great results and results smell and work fantastic. Ingredients are easy to find. Most often you already have all you need in your kitchen and if not you can buy inexpensive oils and vitamins in health food stores.

I also like that the author recommends several basic recipes (in addition to spa quality ones) and then teaches you how to adapt them with active ingredients suited to your skin. So you can make your own moisturizer, shampoo, toner, gel from absolute scratch and then have fun adding oils, clays, vitamins, whatever you fancy. And speaking of local ingredients, most fruit and veggies suggested can be bought from farmers markets easily. For example, I used my own peppermint and dill from my window sill "garden" - can it really be any greener?

I also like that the author doesn't use any chemical preservatives, talc, or mineral oil in her recipes. This makes these recipes very healthy and eco-friendly.

I find this book to be more comprehensive compared to other natural recipe books out there, and it now occupies a rightful place in my kitchen alongside my favorite recipe books.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Info but No Working Table of Contents, February 25, 2011
This Kindle edition of this book is quite difficult to navigate. It does not have a working table of contents. Maybe a hard copy would be the preference unless the publisher/author decides to update the Table of Contents on the Kindle edition.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poorly edited, with misinformed and potentially dangerous recipes, May 28, 2012
This book has some serious problems. Not only is it poorly edited, but there is some serious misinformation in this book, some of which could be dangerous. I have a list as long as my arm regarding problems I have with this book, but my main ones are that she recommends using cetyl alcohol is an emulsifier, when it isn't an emulsifier, and her take on preservatives. Cetyl Alcohol is a thickener and emollient, not an emulsifier by itself, and I find it worrying that someone who believes that cetyl alcohol is an emulsifier is writing a book on cosmetics, and selling products! It's so very basic, and makes it hard to believe a single thing she writes, since she doesn't seem to know even the most basic thing about formulating. The other main issue I have is that she doesn't recommend using preservatives. Unless something is used IMMEDIATELY, preservatives are necessary, period. Not using them is how you can get a nasty staph infection. It's really scary that a book would discourage use of preservatives, and says that many of the preservative free products can last up to a month in the refrigerator. Would you keep, and eat leftovers in your fridge after a month? I wouldn't. Nor would I rub them on my face, like the author recommends we do with old, preservative free creams.

3.0 out of 5 stars disappointed!, March 29, 2012
I've bought this book mainly to make my own face cream (or any cream for that matter).
it has some DIY recipes (cute, but none you can't find on-line) but what i was really looking forward is to make my own cream! so i bought all the ingredients written in the book to make my "basic cream 1", i did everything following the exact recipe and it didn't work! twice! i am very good with recipes and always successive! BUT i believe the problem is the only emulsifier written in the recipe is Cetyl alchohol, in all the recipes i have seen on-line that cannot be an emulsifier by itself! it is actually an emollient. so i am so disappointed! the BASIC recipe is wrong, the oils and water do not mix! so i cannot use it for the other recipes based on the "basic cream 1"....
uuuuufffffffffff!

5.0 out of 5 stars 236 pages of information!, March 28, 2012
I was answering a comment on another review when I realized that my remarks really should be another review for this book.

I'm here on Amazon looking at the page for this book because I have read it already (Support your local library!) and I find it so useful that I am going to now purchase it. There is so much information in the book that there is no way I could just make a few notes or copy a recipe and be done. This book has 236 pages of actual CONTENT. I love glossy colour photos as much as the next person, but I'm glad that this book doesn't waste time or expense on photos (when honestly, most of these recipes are going to look like creams or liquids or salts suspended in oil anyway!) and instead offers a lot of information on the subject at hand.

The first few sections are about the ingredients and packaging, both good and bad. You find out what to watch out for, what to use instead, and what benefits the good ingredients have for your body.

The recipes start on page 36 and go through to page 228, with a few pages in there throughout with information. That's a considerable quantity of recipes. And they vary from extremely simple recipes with only 2-3 ingredients that are common kitchen items like eggs, milk, honey, tea, oatmeal, sugar, various food/fruit/nut oils, through more complex (I won't say "complicated" - there really isn't a single recipe in the book that is *complicated*) recipes that call for ingredients like essential oils, hydrosols, etc.

But there is such variation and the author gives so much information about what ingredients are useful for what, that it isn't like you can't make anything in the book if you don't want to buy the less common ingredients. I live in an area that is not really even suburban, it's more like sub-rural, and even WE have a couple stores that sell essential oils, rosewater, glycerin, etc. The author lists websites/companies in the back that can supply some of the other things, if one chooses to try the other recipes.

Overall, this book is very informative. I am very selective about the books that I purchase, and will not buy a book unless I feel it is a resource I will go to again and again and get the most value out of it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Needs 'tuning', August 11, 2013
This review is based on reading the sample pages, not the whole book, so some if my quibbles may be addressed, but they sure weren't in the passages I read.
It appears to be a good book with lots of recipies and minimal industrial ingredients, which alone make it an attractive publication. But there's shortcomings which detract from it.

The author claims poly unsaturated oils are "most beneficial" but totally ignores the fact they are very easily oxidized and that's bad for anywhere in or on your body. Heating a poly unsaturated oil, like during making a preparation, accelerates oxidation. It says "heavy, waxy oils form saturated acids in ... coconut ... butters ..." I don't know about the mentioned cocoa, mango and shea butters, but coconut oil is not waxy since it melts below skin temperature (76 degrees). Thus coconut and palm oils are not the same as other saturated fats. It also says coconut butter "feed(s) skin membranes with fatty acids and proteins." HUH?! There's no protein in coconut oil and shouldn't be in any other pure oil. All this on page 21.

The discussion of how long oils keep is useful but doesn't say natural oils are actually combinations of saturated, mono and poly unsaturated fatty acids. The higher the proportion of poly unsaturated oil, the shorter its life due to rapid oxidation. Mono saturated oils take a little longer. Palm fruit oil naturally has tocotrienols in it which are not only excellent antioxidants but very good for you. Poly unsaturated oils continue to oxidize after they're put on your skin and absorbed. Adding an antioxidant to the mix is not a complete solution. Since oxidation is bad for the skin, these oils should be minimized or avoided if possible. His section on preservatives should have emphasized certain nutracuticals first, for their skin health, anti oxidant and preservative qualities. And there's various oils that are great preservatives, like tea tree, garlic and oregano - which can be used in very small amounts.

The precaution on mixing geogard and ascorbic acid in any skin care product is well taken, but the user may also be taking vitamin C supplements so will have circulating ascorbic acid. Mixed with the sodium benzoate in the geogard results in benezene - a toxin. So nobody taking any vitamin C should be putting geogard on their skin.

The book should also discuss and caution about mixing tropical oils with antibacterial preservatives of any kind. This is because the naturally occurring skin bacterial transform these oils into beneficial substances for the skin. So you don't want to sterilize yourself.

Many books ignore or minimize GMO warnings, so one must be careful when buying anything made from corn, soybeans, cottonseed, papaya, and any other GMO plants. A complete list of GMOs should be given.

5.0 out of 5 stars I can't buy any more beauty "junk food" after reading this book!, March 21, 2012
This book seriously changed my life! I bought it thinking it would have a few easy recipes I could make for fun on the weekends - it had that and much, much more! I had no idea about all the toxins they put in conventional beauty and baby products until I read this book, makes me never want to buy any of that junk again! I actually went through my house after reading this and read all the ingredients to our products - I was horrified at what I saw and I threw them out on the spot! I now make my own shampoo, face wash, body oils, masks and even baby wipes! It seriously does not take me long at all to make these things, and they last for a while! I also like that she shows you how to make cream/shampoo FROM SCRATCH unlike so many other books where they tell you to take plain soap or shampoo and add oils to it to make it your own.

Here are some of the recipes I use regularly and absolutely LOVE:

Green Spice Deodorant: I've searched for YEARS to find an aluminum- free deodorant that works for me and finally, this is it!

Almond Milk Toner: Almond milk + Rose water + Glycerin = A simple, delicious smelling toner, I use it every day.

Herbal Insect Repellent Spray: Really works and I can use it on my toddler with confidence!

Spicy Lemon Anti-Dandruff Shampoo - Got rid of my dandruff and soothed my dry, itchy scalp! I made it with the Castille soap option and it does leave my hair a little coarse so I follow up with the Lemon and Vinegar Shine booster - leaves my hair soft and crazy shiny!

Happy Bum Flower Balm - The best diaper cream ever!

Gosh there are so many great recipes it's hard not to name them all - This book was one of the best purchases I've ever made. Since buying it, my skin glows, my hair is shinier and my baby's butt and skin is softer than it's ever been! And I am at ease knowing that we are no longer using toxic chemicals, our skin is being nourished by wholesome, healthy ingredients! Highly recommended!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, Poor Editing, May 11, 2012
I have had this book for less than a week and have already poured over most of it. The information at the beginning of the book about ingredients to avoid and substitute with is invaluable and the recipes are so numerous and varied. There is something for every skin type - acne prone skin, dry skin, older skin, eczema, etc. Yes some of them require ingredients that I don't keep around the house. I think "easy" recipes in this case means the actual making of the recipes and not the process of locating the ingredients.

My only quibble is with the editing. There are numerous typos throughout. A common one is to replace the "CUP" (cap) after mixing ingredients in a container. The apple is left off the ingredients list of the Double Apple Toner. The list includes apple juice, honey, apple cider vinegar and essential oil, yet the first step involves coring and peeling "THE APPLE" which is oddly not on the ingredients. There are also some times where in the description before a recipe the author mentions an ingredient that is not actually part of the recipe. In the Milk and Olive Facial Toner she references the ancient Greeks' use of honey and olive oil but honey is not actually an ingredient. It seems at times that the recipe descriptions were written up in a generic way and then thrown willy nilly before the recipes.

I am very pleased with the content of this book. However the lack of editing is unfortunate and makes me leery of buying anything else from this author.