Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Black Friday Video Game Deals Shop Now PlasmaCar

on December 4, 2011
An excellent french press at a fantastic price. Not only is it made of glass and stainless, but its substantial in weight and makes wonderful coffee! I recommend this product highly.
Update on review: after several months of enjoying the coffee press, it is now beginning to rust around the bottom. I'm sure that could be avoided if I was able to easily remove the glass portion of the coffee press, but it must be unscrewed and is not something I have time to do on a daily basis. I am quite disappointed that this wonderful press is turning out to be a rusting dud.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 14, 2011
I purchased two of the Grosche Rome French Press units through Amazon for $14.99 apiece. I thought that they were worth the risk, due to the affordable price, appearance, and free shipping option. Prior to purchase, there were 0 reviews for this product. One was given as a gift, and the other has been used by me.

- Note: Part of the following review mentions "both" presses, but that is due to the fact that I looked at both presses out of the box, so as to check for quality. In fact, I only brewed coffee in one of the presses. -

Upon receipt of the items, my first impression was very positive: both items felt very snug within their packaging and did not "rattle" at all. Even quality presses from competing makers often feel somewhat fragile in the box, either because they are not snugly fit, the box is of somewhat poor quality or there's not enough inner packaging, or the press itself has some "play" within the components (often either the press mechanism fitting to the lid, or the lid fitting to the glass). Though there was very little packaging within the boxes (only a bubble wrap sleeve, and a plastic cover for the lid), they were designed specifically for shipping this type of glassware: strong, puncture and impact resistant, and fitted specifically for the product down to the millimeter. A smaller person may be able to stand on one of these boxes with no problem (note: do not try at home, because I may be wrong). Those who have worked in fields of science, or have shipped/received coffee presses in the past, realize how important this can be, and I commend Grosche for thinking, as it were, "about" the box while so many competitors think "outside" of the box.

After opening the boxes, and prior to use, I noticed that the presses were made well. The fit was right, they have a nice heft to the metal framework, the glass appears to be of good quality, there is a proper balance for pouring a cup of coffee, and the base is heavy enough and wide enough so as to keep from tipping. I appreciate fully-rotatable lid with a filter, as it allows one to filter out any passed grounds while also keeping the pot as warm as possible. Though the lid is plastic at the base, it is rather well made, and does have a nice appearance. The top of the lid is metal (similar to the framework of the pot), and it provides a nice appearance as well as some added heft to the lid (which improves balance, as far as I am concerned). The plunger handle is plastic, but is wide, easy to grip, and is secured well to the plunger. The press mechanism is well-fitted within the lid, so that it is easy to plunge but is also not full of play. The presses have a rather sleek brushed metal finish on the outside, and look good on a counter or coffee table. The metal framework feels very secure to the glass (and to itself at overlapping areas). The handle connection to the metal framework could have a bit less side-to-side play, though compared to other low-cost presses the handle still seems very secure - I appreciate that there are multiple brace-points on this handle-press, compared to presses of some quality makers (which connect the handle to the rest of the pot via one connection location near the top of the press). The screen is of good quality, as is the whole of the press mechanism. The rubberized handle is very slip-resistant, which is a great asset when anywhere in the kitchen. The handle is essentially a half-circle, and not overly large, so it would be a decent fit for the hands of most people, though maybe not as "comfortable" as a coffee mug handle. The metal frame supports the glass, whereas some competing presses are designed so as to place undue stresses on the glass itself, as opposed to an outside framework.

Upon brewing my first cup of coffee, I could tell that the press screen was fitted rather well, as I noticed absolutely no grounds in my coffee (down to the final cup). Again, even when brewing a pot of coffee, it was very easy to plunge but also did not have a "loose" feel associated with some other coffee presses; it was not too hard to press even while getting near the bottom of the pot. The screen did a nice job keeping finer particles out of my cup, while providing a great, full flavor. Though the lid "feels" somewhat loose from side to side, as long as someone does not attempt to pour the entire contents into a cup at once, it provides a very nice pour without any "dribbling" or overflow - just remember to properly align the lid filter. It did not feel as if the lid would fall out while pouring, again unless one were to literally dump the pot upside down, and I believe the "depth" of the lid (literally an inch from the top of the glass to the bottom of the lid inside of the glass) and the surface tension properties of liquids help to create a nice seal, so as to keep the lid in place.

After having my coffee, cleanup was rather easy with this product. The plunger lifted easily, and grounds were removed similarly to other presses. If one is not careful, they may get grounds in between the glass and metal framework, but it's easy to get out. I bumped this on the side of the sink a couple times, and I didn't "worry" about breaking the glass as I may have with some cheaper presses.

If these presses were to have any drawbacks, I would say that one would be the simple fact that they are glass, hence they may break. Another possible drawback may be due to the size and shape of the handle; though it is a huge asset to have a rubberized handle, I assume that one with large hands or with an arthritic condition in their hands may have more difficulty with this press, as the handle size is not very large and it is not designed ergonomically. If that were to be the case, I may suggest trying out the Grosche Madrid product, which provides a handle that looks larger and designed to better fit a hand (and based on pictures, looks to be of a similar quality, albeit different design and appearance).

Quite honestly, I would recommend this press to just about anyone, and would "advise" someone to buy it if found at a price range under $25 and in need of a good coffee press. It seems to be made with quality in mind, and the resulting coffee suggests the very same. It looks nice, it feels nice, it tastes nice. What more could you want in a French/coffee press?

Other recommendations:
-Hand-wash before initial use, always! This is particularly true with any similar food-use product that contains glass or metal.
-One should use a plastic, wooden, or other non-metal stirring apparatus when stirring in this press, as with any other glass press.
-Though I believe directions imply that this may be dishwasher safe, I always hand-wash coffee presses by themselves.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 12, 2011
From the minute that I opened the box, I knew this would be a quality French press. Very nice packaging, and a really beautiful product. I love the soft grip, and the press itself is really very well made. The filter worked great, I have a small Braun grinder I use for my coffee beans, making a nice coarse ground in a few seconds, for aroma and flavor that's second to none. And brewing the wonderful beans in the Rome French press has been awesome. I rinse out he glass, and make sure I dry out the metal casing with a towel and I'm good to go.
This is a stunning press, so much better than the standard chrome ones you find everywhere else. You can feel the quality from the moment you touch it, its heavier than others ive had, sturdier, and has a bold presence on the table. I love the unique look. I serve fresh ground and brewed coffee to friends and guests , and ive been getting many compliments for it as well. Definitely a step up for a long time coffee drinker, thanks dad for a great gift!
on February 14, 2012
Like most other reviewers, I was really taken by the look and even the functionality of this product. The press is great looking, the glass is really sturdy (capable of withstanding boiling water) and the filter does its job quite well. However, as noted by couple other reviewers (and I wish I had seen those before I placed my order), the case has started rusting, and in no time! I have been cleaning it meticulously by hand and not in the dishwasher. But within days, I started seeing signs of rust at the bottom and on the sides. I was even more careful and kept an eye but it kept rusting more. At this rate, it will probably soon become unusable. I am shocked and dismayed by such a fundamental quality issue in what could have been an excellent product otherwise.
on March 5, 2012
1) I have been happy with this press for the month or so that I've been using it. I am careful to dry the press well, and have not yet seen any signs of rusting. I will be sure to update my review if I ever notice rusting.

2)Rizpresso bribes customers (who have just bought their frenchpress, and so whose feedback is not very useful) for 5 star reviews. Here is the email that I received from Rizpresso soon after I bought the press:

Thank you very much for purchasing the Grosche product!

We are running a special right now to encourage customers to share their experience and what they like about the Grosche products with others on Amazon. If you would be so kind as to leave a short review and highlight what you love about the product and share it with others, we will send you a FREE SURREY infuser tea mug and will even pay the shipping!

This is a $20 Value with Shipping! FREE for you just for a few minutes of your time to share what you like about the GROSCHE Products with others!

All you have to do is to go to the main product description page where you purchased the item(s), scroll down and post your review, and email us the link to the review when it appears and send us your mailing address. We will have your FREE SURREY infuser tea mug out to you!

Tisk, tisk, Rizpresso.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 14, 2012
When purchasing the GROSCHE the item description said nothing about "Made in China" It is a lovely piece, but with the first 10 uses the stainless started rusting in the bottom. I've had too much expierence with stainless from that country. Do yourself a favor...don't buy anything from China if it contains stainless's substandard...PERIOD!
Amazon should require COUNTRY OF ORIGIN posted on all products it represents. Now I'm concerned about my supplement orders. GROSCHE ROME Premium French Press Coffee and Tea press, 1 liter 34 fl oz. capacity
on February 15, 2012
The Rome french press works, and it works well. The french press itself looks so elegant and well-built the first time you take it out of the box. However (and I found this out the hard way), the product, if washed and left to air dry, will start rusting in no time. Not only that, the beautiful finish starts flaking off. Now it's an ugly looking thing on the counter that my wife wants to throw away. It still works, and it will probably work for a long time, but unfortunately, the manufacturer did not consider the durability of the finish. And I've only had this for a little over a month. I give this thing two more weeks before it ends up in the landfill.
on November 30, 2011
This is a great press. The lid is metal so it guides the press down securly without worry of breaking. The filter keeps all but the finest powder out of the brew. Get a good conical burr grinder to eliminate the fines if that is a concern. It has a secondary strainer in the lid but haven't noticed any grounds getting past the main filter. The beaker fits snugly in the frame, but removes easily so you can put the beaker in the dishwasher. It makes about two 16 ounce travel mugs of coffee. Pours without dripping and cleans up easily. I can't think of anything else a person would want in a quality french press.
on November 13, 2011
I have owned a couple french presses before this one none of which were made as well as this one. The quality of the seal is much better than any I have previously used. The glass is much thicker & fits its holder much tighter. Overall I am extremely impressed with this product & intend to buy another for a spare!!!
on August 24, 2012
This press looks great and works perfect. But within the first week of use it started to show signs of rust. After three months, it was so covered with rust that it is no longer useable. I would expect something like this from a dollar store product. Don't waist your money.