Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: GSI Outdoors Pinnacle Dualist
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Thank you Scientist Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Size: O/S N/A|Change
Price:$64.95+ Free shipping

on December 10, 2010
Someone(s) spent a whole lot of time geeking out over how to design a really light, really compact mess kit for two. Everything packs down into the pot

Pot size is perfect - you can make coffee for four at once. Handle on pot is really sturdy, love the folding design.

Only real complaint is that the pot warped slightly during its first weekend of use. It was only used with propane stove (not fire/grill) and yet the pot is now just slightly oval instead of perfectly round. Which means the lid no longer sits flush on it.

One minor design suggestion - two of the bowls come with a thin insulated layer on the outside. (This great feature helps if you're serving something hot in it.) But it would've been nicer if it was just a little thicker, and if it was removable (it kind of obnoxiously absorbs water when you wash it.) Would be easier to be able to remove it, wash the bowl, put it back on.

This is an excellent mess kit for two, especially for those trips where weight and size of your gear is important. You can't get much lighter or more compact than this.
on January 14, 2011
The Pinnacle dualist is the best cook kit I have ever seen. Most cook kits are nestable this is the only kit I have seen that is not only nestable but nestable WITH a stove. a pot two mugs two bowls two utensils a stove and fuel all about the size of a small loaf of bread. And there is space to spare. I have nestled a GSI salt and pepper container in there too. My only complaint is that the utensils kinda suck. Some people probably wont care but I don't like them and I have yet to find utensils that I like better that actually fit inside along with the stove. At first I gave this item a 4 but even with the utensil issue I still cant bring my self to give it anything less than the best scores. It really is awesome. Not for a base camp but if your back packing it is THE kit to have. I wouldn't recommend anything else.
on October 10, 2009
Recently took Dualist kit with me on an wilderness canoe camping trip. Lightness much appreciated when humping gear and canoes on the portage trail. Sporks are pretty much useless as they fall apart without much prompting. Bought this to conserve fuel as it holds enough water for a dehydrated meal and a few cups of coffee. As with the soloist version I needed to cut back the handle rubber so it didn't burn when cooking on my MSR Whisperlite stove with windshield.
on December 25, 2012
I really like this set.

For some reason I thought the 1.8 liter pot would be taller. I guess I underestimated the youtube videos.
At any rate, I really like this setup and will give it its first try this weekend when I'm going for a hike. Although this kit is made for two people you should be able to easily use it for up to 4 people using the Mountain House meals. The stuff sack / sink is also a nice bonus for washing up or getting some extra water.

The cups/bowels are made of the same material and hold about 500 mil. The GSI "pfoons"; I find useless. Too flimsy for me. I'll stick to my Light my Fire Ti Sporks.

My kit / bugout setup includes and fits easily into this GSI Dualist gear:

- the two included lids for the cup's
- the two included cups
- the two included bowels
- a large MSR gas canister
- SOTO ODR-1 burner
- lighter
- Jetboil crunsh-it
- small towel

**** Update 12/29

Love this set. Only used a small MSR canister this time to shave some weight.
Not much, but hey if your carrying your 2 year old on your back (in a Deuter child carrier) while hiking up a mountain every ounce counts.

Just used it today on a hike to make some hot chocolate for my kids.
Boiled 1 L of water in about 4 1/2 minutes running my Soto od-1r micro regulator stove with wind screen at about 50%
review image review image review image
on March 2, 2012
It packs up small and I used it for camping and backpacking trips involving 2 to 4 people. While it is designed for 2, it separates into 4 bowls and if you don't mind eating and drinking out of the same bowl, it is enough for 4 people.

The foons/sporks that came with the set always seem to pinch my fingers when opening or closing them. I have other plastic utensils that I use instead.

While its true that the plastic doesn't seem to absorb odors, they do scratch so I don't recommend using it for anything that requires a knife. For soups, dehydrated stews, and drinks, they work fine.

Like another reviewer mentioned, I too partially melted the coating on the handle. It happened the very first day I was using it. I had it on a remote canister stove with a windscreen and the heat coming up the side of the pot was enough to burn and melt the rubber.

I love this set. It is a little heavy, but has everything I need, packs up small, and even the carrying case can be used to carry water.
on June 30, 2011
Let me start off by saying I'm usually pretty casual about my camping. You're not going to find me hiking miles off into the woods and shaving off every possible ounce from my pack as is humanly or inhumanly possible. Nope, I am a relatively average camper who may trek a few hundred yards from the car with my gear but probably not much further.

I was looking to get a smaller set of cook gear for camping and looked at a number of kits before settling on this one. I liked the fact that this came with a couple of bowls that tucked away inside the pot. This seemed to be a very convenient feature and definitely has been. Inside the bowls is another insulated cup/mug. I've used it as a mug before and it works, but it's not necessarily as convenient as just packing a real mug with a handle if you're within walking distance of the car.

The "foons" that's a spork to the rest of us are a cute concept, the handle slides over the bowl of the spork to reduce it's length and allow them to fit inside the bowls. However this seems to make these a little less solid than I like. I wound up buying a set of "Light My Fire" sporks instead.

The pot is terrific. The handle locks securely into the out position so you can easily lift the full pot off of your camp stove. When you're not cooking that handle folds over the top and locks the lid down to keep all of your gear inside stowed securely. I've used this pot now to make a number of small camping dishes and heat up soup and have been very pleased with it.

The sack this all comes in is rather stiff sided and water proof. So you can easily use it as a small wash basin. It actually works quite well for this.

Overall it's a great little set for someone like me who wants a lighter weight cooking set. I give the set four stars primarily because I didn't like the "foons." Everything else in the set would get a five star rating from me.
on January 21, 2013
This pot and bowls are the difference between life and death. The other day I went on an excursion to Ilinizas Mountains in Ecuador. Its a three kiloometer hike up mountaing until the refuge (4,700 meters above sea level). Turns out the refuge was closed and we had no place to eat. Since the product is so lightweight I brought it with me and it was the difference between life and death when in need of a hot soup and cocoa. I feed 8 people including myself. Super happy of making this purchase.
on April 25, 2011
We just took this on a brief camping trip. One nice feature is that the two pairs of bowls each nest together, and there are a total of three lids (two for the bowls, one for the pot). Great for storing leftovers if you are at a camp site and have a cooler. The pot is very lightweight and I was able to boil water in about 3 minutes on our camp stove. Packs up nice and compact.
on July 9, 2011
This is just an out of the box review. I haven't used this product yet, but plan to as soon as I buy a portable stove, which will be the Snow Peak Max Lite. It was a toss up between the Solist and Dualist. I like the dualist because of the extra bowls/cups. I rather have extra and not use them much than not have them and wish I did. The title of my review may throw you off, but I also needed a cookware set that could hold everything I needed, but still fit into my carryon backpack, and still have room for all my toiletries and clothing etc, either for when I'm backpacking in the states or even overseas. And this item fits the bill. The BEST thing I love about the Dualist is the fact, you can put the GSI Collapsible Java Coffee Maker at the bottom of the pot and then stack everything on top of it and the lid still fits on. So, you can pack your stove, coffee maker, coffee, sugar, salt, pepper/seasonings, coffee filters etc all in the pot and the lid still fits. An entire cookset with all tableware AND coffee maker AND stove in ONE pot. LOVE IT!

Below is the collapsible coffee maker I referred to:

[...]
on May 8, 2011
I just took this out camping with me and it performed quite well. The set is sturdy, easy to clean (I used the bag as a wash basin, as suggested) and it cooked evenly over my 1-burner stove. It's nice and light but a good size for cooking for 1-2 people.