Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports

on August 10, 2010
Bought this for my classroom use with some special education kids. They loved it and it worked well. The software that comes with it leave A LOT to be desire. Very limited in scope and functionality. It was also somewhat annoying that there is an increasing lag in the computer image as you increase the resolution (zooming in more on the image.) You move the scope, or change the focus, and there is a serious lag in what you see on the screen at these higher resolutions. It makes focusing very difficult at high resolutions. Not a problem at the lower settings.

The snapshot feature is nice.
on July 18, 2010
Product looks very stylish; installation is a breeze (I have Windows XP); operation is very intuitive and smooth. All good, except magnification seems to be stuck at 20X.

I tried all moveable parts on this camera; and adjusted the magnification scale in "preference"; but the magnification never changed. Since high magnifying power is the main feature I'm after, this product gets a one-star from me. I hope I made a mistake; if so, somebody please tell me how to increase the magnification.

The box and User Instruction gives no contact number -- not even the company selling or manufacturing this product which is pretty weird. I only found company name in the Amazon shipping label. I'm gonna call them on Monday but somehow I have a feeling I'd get nowhere.
66 comments| 54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 11, 2011
I bought this to check dates, mint marks and errors on coins. It's not bad if you are looking for a simple microscope with a single magnification level. As some of the other reviews stated, focusing it is a bit clunky with the scroll wheel, and it was also a little tricky to get working on Windows 7.

If you are using Windows 7, below is what I did to make it work. If you don't follow those steps, the camera won't be recognized by the software using the driver that windows automatically assigns to the camera. Note that the software really isn't anything fancy - in fact it's very basic, but it does the trick.

There are two installation files on the CD, one for the drivers and the other for the software. You can install the MicroCapture software anytime (setup.exe), before or after the drivers. Once you run the install for the drivers (drvsetup.exe), plug in the camera and a driver will be installed by windows automatically. Once it is complete, go into the properties of the camera (through the Device Manager in your Devices and Printers) and update the driver. Choose the appropriate driver for your operating system, located in the "C:\Program Files\Vimicro Corporation\VMUVC" directory (x64 or x86). Once I chose my driver and updated it, the camera was recognized by the software right away.
on June 14, 2010
I could not get the unit to work on my computer with Windows 7. There are toggles within Windows 7 to revert back to previous versions (Vista, XP etc.) to make older products work. Even with the computer operating a version the GSI required; it would not work.

There was no support or anyone to call. Even the package has some broken English a.k.a. mis-spelled words.
on June 1, 2011
I'm Happy. It took several attempts (a few BSDs) to get drivers installed before their "Amcap" pgm would detect this toy microscope on Win 7/64: 1st copy CD to HDD/my_crow_scope_pix; right click installer and set Compatibility Mode to 7 (or was it finally "2000" mode that got it working?) then double-click it to run the installer. YES, it's not super HQ rez, but it works fine for ~41 bucks! I love the overall ergonomics and the handy dual function of the focus adjustment - there are TWO magnification powers (not zoom) at each extreme of "focus". At high mag, turn up the LED brightness via the cord-dongle adjustment dial. I un-soldered the LED PCB to look deeper inside the unit: The internal lens threads can be turned "in" for infinity, or extended for max mag (it only changes the CU ranges slightly). Note: Dust/dirt can easily enter and end up on the sensor, so use/store it carefully w/corded end "up"! I'll post 6 hand-held test pictures: Cent, Dollar, and Pen.
review image review image review image review image review image review image
on October 18, 2011
Bought this unit for work. The directions and setup are terrible, poorly translated into english. The software is possibly bootlegged, microsoft didn't like it much. But overall for the price it did work, you can get some decent pictures of stuff and some good magnification. And you really can't beat the price for it.
on June 19, 2011
The magnification was great but I was unable to capture images over 320x200 in size, any increase in capture magnification resulted in a black capture window. There is no support available as the device was non-branded from China. On the upside the drivers installed without a problem and the device did work well.
on August 31, 2011
"Works really well with what I intended to use it for. I wanted a cheap device to magnify my scalp, hair follicles, just like what they use at hair treatment places. This just did the job exactly! My husband was also impressed. I wanted to check if there are improvements on my hair since I've been using a treatment system, and I could actually see baby hairs growing. It is good for inspecting things laid flat on a level surface, not sure if moving objects (or tiny live insects) will be captured by the scope. But not bad for $31! "
on November 16, 2010
This unit is easy to set up and use, great for kids.
The issue is the magnification is no where near 200x.
It is not useful for me and I ended up giving it away
to my neighbor's kids. They are very happy with it.

I will be trying to locate a different brand that
actually works as stated.
on September 10, 2013
The scope is nice and sharp and seems to be more powerful than I needed. I am using it to examine solder joints on SMD components. I did not load the software or drives that came with the camera but found a free webcam program to use instead. It does not seem to be recognized by the scanner and camera wizard in Windows 7 but it is present in device manager.

I measured the magnification (which will vary with your screen size and the program you use and I get about 250x at the closest focus.