Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on October 2, 2012
I bought the ESBIT 600ml Hard Anodized Aluminum Water Kettle and the Optimus Terra Kettle before I tried this one.

I found the GSI model to be superior in a few important respects. First, the opening in the top is large enough for me to fit my ESBIT Pot Stand and Folding Stove into. Second, the spout doesn't leak, which the Optimus and its clone the Primus Litech both do. The Esbit one was unable to fit my collapsible spoon from the Jetboil Utensil Kit either.

The width of the base is wide enough to catch a lot of heat from the stove, but the rise is also nice, because I can fit my whole cook kit inside, which includes my mini pop can stove and a bottle of alcohol fuel.

The capacity of this is just under a liter. By comparison, the Esbit one is 600 ml and the Optimus one is 700 ml. I would put this one at 800 or 900 ml. That extra capacity doesn't hurt any. It's nearly as small to pack, but big enough to pack what you need to inside of it, and you can have plenty of water for two servings of food. You can still prepare a bit less water if you prefer.

I upgraded the wire handle (see pic in the gallery). I am allergic to the plasti-dip stuff that came on the original, and so I took the advice of another user and bent up a coat hanger wire to replace it. I then used my Dremel with a buff wheel to take off the sharp edges on the wire and on the protrusions on the top of the kettle which hold the wire upright. I don't want it wearing through my reflective meal cozy bag, which I also use as the stuff sack for the cook kit.

The lid can be fixed to stay on with friction by bowing out the inner rim into a slight oval with your thumbs. The Esbit lid fits quite loosely around the outside of the kettle opening, and doesn't seem able to be fixed to stay on. The Optimus lid fits on the inside and might be able to be bent to fit snugly as well, but it doesn't come as a snug fit.

The workmanship on this item seems far superior to the Optimus. The Esbit is gorgeous quality, but the specific design and sizing didn't work out for me.
review image
on February 13, 2013
I found this kettle at the start of last year's season and have given it some pretty good use. Without beating around the bush too much, I'll just go ahead and say that this thing is great! It has now become the backbone of my kit. A nested Sea to Summit X-Bowl and X-Mug fit underneath, and my stove (Trangia), small fuel bottle, camp soap, collapsible spork, seasoning packets, bandana, lighter, small sponge, etc... all pack nicely inside. In addition to boiling water/coffee, I also use this for cooking pasta and boil-in-the-bag rice. If you're considering this kettle, you should pull the trigger, but I'd like to give you a few tips, as well. First, go ahead and remove the silicon coating from the handles. Second, by pulling on the underside of the lid you can get a more secure fit. Third, trimming a cork down to fit the spout will decrease boil times and increase the kettle's volume by allowing the user to fill above the spout. All in all, a great value and an even better kettle. Absolutely no complaints here. In fact, I'm considering buying a second just in case they stop production.
on July 27, 2010
The Handle can melt if high heat is used or if the wind blows the flames from the stove up the side of the kettle. The insulation material needs to be able to handle higher heat or removed all together to be considered perfect to me. The kettle does heat water fast and the size and weight are great for ultralight backpacking.
review image
on April 15, 2010
Loved it. Worked perfectly. Can even remove the handle and use as a small pot to cook a small meal in. The item is very light and seems pretty durable. The handle did bend a little, but this was probably due to having it packed up tightly. The handle stays up straight while boiling water. This doesn't really hold a quart as advertised. A quart of water fills the kettle to the bottom of the spout and would definitely boil over.
on August 20, 2013
I really like this kettle, it's light, easy to pack and feels sturdy enough. I do think the kettle has a few shortcomings, not anything major but enough to rate only 4 stars.

# 1 The handle is wire and has fairly sharp ends so you need to keep that in mind when packing it. They can scratch or poke holes in objects that rub up against the sharp parts.

#2 The silicone on the handle isn't able to take much heat and melts too easily. The shape of the handle makes it great for hanging over a campfire but unless you're extra careful the coating will melt.

#3 The kettle is just a little on the small size. If you put a whole quart of water in it the level is to the top of the spout and will boil over. (The size issue is my personal opinion, others may think it's the perfect size)

If you're looking for a small, lightweight kettle thats much cheaper than titanium this is a great choice.
on January 10, 2016
Pot: Proportionately large bottom, smallish capacity, lightweight, good conducting material, stove and cooking items can fit inside to save space. The spout makes it an excellent pourer.
Stove: This pot will not boil fast with a small flame pattern. It takes 8-9 minutes 2 cups with typical narrow alcohol stove. With my propane bottle single burner I can do it in just over 2 minutes. With a larger flame pattern it beats my HX pot. That's how lightweight cooking works, you have to match the stove with the pot
Purpose: This pot is ideal for backpacking or hiking, lightweight buils enough water for freeze dryed/dehydrated meals or drinks.
Excellent product: I have had it for ~4 years, it has held up great backpacking, car camping.
on June 23, 2012
We got this so we could make coffee (instant) while camping, but you can also use it for cooking too, so long as you are prepared to clean it out so you can use it again for your morning cup of joe!

It is really small - but it's 4 cup size and heats well over a camp fire. We always carry dish towels in case handls get hot over the fire, but the handle stays upright on this and doesn't seem to get too hot - but I suppose it could, hence the dish towels, just in case (we never camp without them).

Compared to other tea kettles, this one was a really good price AND good quality AND has multiple uses (you can cook popcorn in it over the fire beside your ten, the old fashioned oil based way - the lid is very handy then!).

Would recommend to campers and backpackers as it's small enough and light enough to be easily carried!
on August 28, 2013
This pairs well with a homemade alcohol stove (search: DIY cat-food alcohol stove). It rests well directly on the cat-food tin, packs well and seems to be durable enough for many years of use in the outdoors. Like other reviewers have said, the coating on the handle will melt when exposed to a direct flame or high heat, but I haven't experienced a problem while using the alcohol stove to boil water.

Good purchase if you don't feel like departing with the cash for a Jetboil or MSR quite yet.
on June 30, 2015
I used this kettle for several years while kayak camping, tent camping, even in our home and travel trailer. Its light weight, extremely sturdy, never sputters or boils over, saves fuel, and is easy to handle without getting burned. I LOVED this kettle! I say, "loved", because it was stolen with our camper and the rest of our gear! So now that I need a replacement kettle, I did not hesitate to return to this brand/model; I didn't even bother to give any other brand a single thought! And, its one of the very first things I purchased to start restocking our gear. I expect as many years of reliable use out of it as I had before.
on June 23, 2016
I'll start off by saying this thing looks great. I love the grey and orange combo, and the handle is detachable so you won't burn the handle if you wish to put it close to the fire. The item seems to be very sturdy except for the bottom, which is terrible.

I just took it out of the box, and it made a tearing/popping noise while feeling it up for integrity; if the sound was micro tears in the aluminum, that's pretty much exposing the user to a lot more aluminum than expected, and defeating the main purpose of anodized aluminum, that is to have a thicker outer layer of non-reactive oxidized aluminum. There are scratches around the rim where the lid rests, which is absolutely unacceptable for a brand new product.

The tea kettle has a chalkboard like feel to touch, in a bad way, and it left a sticky residue on my finders after handling it. After washing it, is wasn't as bad but still seemed to be sticky around the rim. The bottom was bent slightly; enough to pop in and out when pressed gently, leading me to believe it was previously used, defective, or just a bad product. I've used cheapo, don't-care-if-get-stepped-on pots that were more sturdy than this one, granted they didn't look as nice.

It was smaller than I expected, but just fine for boiling water, which is seemed to do in a typical amount of time for any pot with the same amount of water. If it had cost $5 I would keep it, because it is convenient and you can boil water in it. Heck, I'd probably pay $10 for it because it looks great, but for $25 the quality is atrocious.

My search for a nice camping kettle begins again... if anyone has any suggestions please let me know.