5.0 out of 5 stars Superior to the competition for my purposes
I bought the ESBIT 600ml Hard Anodized Aluminum Water Kettle and the Optimus Terra Kettle before I tried this one.

Published on October 2, 2012 by S. Bufe

2.0 out of 5 stars Too small
WAY too small. I like the material that is used, very light and durable. I agree with other reviewers that say this is a great single serving backpacking item....but not for a family campout where everyone wants coffee and hot chocolate.
Published 1 month ago by Technobabble

5.0 out of 5 stars Superior to the competition for my purposes, October 2, 2012
S. Bufe (Boulder, CO) - See all my reviews
This review is from: GSI Outdoors Halulite Tea Kettle,32 Ounce (Automotive)

I found the GSI model to be superior in a few important respects. First, the opening in the top is large enough for me to fit my ESBIT Pot Stand and Folding Stove into. Second, the spout doesn't leak, which the Optimus and its clone the Primus Litech both do. The Esbit one was unable to fit my collapsible spoon from the Jetboil Utensil Kit either.

The width of the base is wide enough to catch a lot of heat from the stove, but the rise is also nice, because I can fit my whole cook kit inside, which includes my mini pop can stove and a bottle of alcohol fuel.

The capacity of this is just under a liter. By comparison, the Esbit one is 600 ml and the Optimus one is 700 ml. I would put this one at 800 or 900 ml. That extra capacity doesn't hurt any. It's nearly as small to pack, but big enough to pack what you need to inside of it, and you can have plenty of water for two servings of food. You can still prepare a bit less water if you prefer.

I upgraded the wire handle (see pic in the gallery). I am allergic to the plasti-dip stuff that came on the original, and so I took the advice of another user and bent up a coat hanger wire to replace it. I then used my Dremel with a buff wheel to take off the sharp edges on the wire and on the protrusions on the top of the kettle which hold the wire upright. I don't want it wearing through my reflective meal cozy bag, which I also use as the stuff sack for the cook kit.

The lid can be fixed to stay on with friction by bowing out the inner rim into a slight oval with your thumbs. The Esbit lid fits quite loosely around the outside of the kettle opening, and doesn't seem able to be fixed to stay on. The Optimus lid fits on the inside and might be able to be bent to fit snugly as well, but it doesn't come as a snug fit.

The workmanship on this item seems far superior to the Optimus. The Esbit is gorgeous quality, but the specific design and sizing didn't work out for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight and sturdy, April 15, 2010
This review is from: GSI Outdoors Halulite Tea Kettle,32 Ounce (Automotive)
Loved it. Worked perfectly. Can even remove the handle and use as a small pot to cook a small meal in. The item is very light and seems pretty durable. The handle did bend a little, but this was probably due to having it packed up tightly. The handle stays up straight while boiling water. This doesn't really hold a quart as advertised. A quart of water fills the kettle to the bottom of the spout and would definitely boil over.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential gear!, February 13, 2013
This review is from: GSI Outdoors Halulite Tea Kettle,32 Ounce (Automotive)
I found this kettle at the start of last year's season and have given it some pretty good use. Without beating around the bush too much, I'll just go ahead and say that this thing is great! It has now become the backbone of my kit. A nested Sea to Summit X-Bowl and X-Mug fit underneath, and my stove (Trangia), small fuel bottle, camp soap, collapsible spork, seasoning packets, bandana, lighter, small sponge, etc... all pack nicely inside. In addition to boiling water/coffee, I also use this for cooking pasta and boil-in-the-bag rice. If you're considering this kettle, you should pull the trigger, but I'd like to give you a few tips, as well. First, go ahead and remove the silicon coating from the handles. Second, by pulling on the underside of the lid you can get a more secure fit. Third, trimming a cork down to fit the spout will decrease boil times and increase the kettle's volume by allowing the user to fill above the spout. All in all, a great value and an even better kettle. Absolutely no complaints here. In fact, I'm considering buying a second just in case they stop production.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect, July 27, 2010
tsunamiscott (State of Jefferson, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: GSI Outdoors Halulite Tea Kettle,32 Ounce (Automotive)
The Handle can melt if high heat is used or if the wind blows the flames from the stove up the side of the kettle. The insulation material needs to be able to handle higher heat or removed all together to be considered perfect to me. The kettle does heat water fast and the size and weight are great for ultralight backpacking.

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect backpacking kettle, August 10, 2008
This review is from: GSI Outdoors Halulite Tea Kettle,32 Ounce (Automotive)
This teakettle was a perfect purchase at the right price. It served us well so far. The capacity was perfect for 3 persons. About the only thing I would change is some way to make the lid captive. We kept losing the lid or having it fall out of it storage place we made for it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Backpacking kettle, August 28, 2013
This review is from: GSI Outdoors Halulite Tea Kettle,32 Ounce (Automotive)
This pairs well with a homemade alcohol stove (search: DIY cat-food alcohol stove). It rests well directly on the cat-food tin, packs well and seems to be durable enough for many years of use in the outdoors. Like other reviewers have said, the coating on the handle will melt when exposed to a direct flame or high heat, but I haven't experienced a problem while using the alcohol stove to boil water.

Good purchase if you don't feel like departing with the cash for a Jetboil or MSR quite yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rocken little pot!, August 17, 2013
This review is from: GSI Outdoors Halulite Tea Kettle,32 Ounce (Automotive)
Small, light weight, very packable.
Quality piece that works very well.

I particularly like how wide the mouth of it is....in case I lose my bowls,
I could eat right out of the kettle if I had to.

4.0 out of 5 stars Close to perfect, August 20, 2013
This review is from: GSI Outdoors Halulite Tea Kettle,32 Ounce (Automotive)
I really like this kettle, it's light, easy to pack and feels sturdy enough. I do think the kettle has a few shortcomings, not anything major but enough to rate only 4 stars.

# 1 The handle is wire and has fairly sharp ends so you need to keep that in mind when packing it. They can scratch or poke holes in objects that rub up against the sharp parts.

#2 The silicone on the handle isn't able to take much heat and melts too easily. The shape of the handle makes it great for hanging over a campfire but unless you're extra careful the coating will melt.

#3 The kettle is just a little on the small size. If you put a whole quart of water in it the level is to the top of the spout and will boil over. (The size issue is my personal opinion, others may think it's the perfect size)

If you're looking for a small, lightweight kettle thats much cheaper than titanium this is a great choice.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enhance your experience in the Great Outdoors, May 24, 2011
Luc (Northern NJ) - See all my reviews
This review is from: GSI Outdoors Halulite Tea Kettle,32 Ounce (Automotive)
Picked this up after seeing it at my local sporting goods store. It is replacing an often used teapot that came nested in my old stainless steel camping pot set. The material is fairly durable and heats up very quickly. It's small enough to take on a group backpacking trip and has enough volume for use even on family camping trips. Bring along some nice tea and enhance your next trip to the great outdoors.

5.0 out of 5 stars outdoors dude, February 15, 2013
This review is from: GSI Outdoors Halulite Tea Kettle,32 Ounce (Automotive)
Perfect pot. makes a great self contained cookset. You can pack everything you need for a lightweight kit with minimal weight. Perfect for use with a cat ,alcohol, stove.
I'm a backpacker, but you bugouts might be advised to check them out.

GSI Outdoors Halulite Tea Kettle,32 Ounce