5.0 out of 5 stars It isn't just for camping anymore
I first got this for camping and found out quickly that it makes a better cup of coffee with less hassle than many other more expensive methods. I use it on my kitchen stove and it fits right into my morning routine so I can bring a perfect cup for the ride to work without having to make a drop more than I want.

I see that one of my fellow reviewers has had to...
Published 19 months ago by Well Read

3.0 out of 5 stars Tempermental
Published 13 months ago by David J. Sauer

5.0 out of 5 stars It isn't just for camping anymore, November 20, 2012
Well Read (Twin Cities, MN USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: GSI Outdoors 4 Cup Stainless Mini Expresso (Sports)

I see that one of my fellow reviewers has had to replace this item several times and I have a fix for that. The only part that will wear out is the gasket in the screw-on top. Once this gets worn to the point where it doesn't make a good seal, the pressure will seep out and by the time the coffee begins to come out the siphon tube, it is a superheated scalded undrinkable mess. Try the following, your mileage may vary:
1. Carefully dig the old gasket out. A utility knife or paring knife will do. The strainer disk will come free at this point. Take this opportunity to clean the strainer disk and the screw-on top.
2. Get a tube of silicone caulk at the home improvement store. Get the small tube that doesn't require a caulk gun. (Silicone caulk is rated for temperatures well above boiling once it is cured.)
3. Hold the strainer disk in place with your thumb and smear the caulk around the groove you dug the old gasket out of. The caulk should come all the way to where the threads start. (An application of caulk is called a "bead".)
4. Use a wet index finger to smooth the bead. Set the screw-on top at the edge of a counter or table where it won't be disturbed and where the siphon tube can hang off the edge allowing the unit to sit flat, "threads-up." Check the directions on the caulk for the complete cure time.
5. At the end of the cure time, use a sewing needle to make sure the holes in the strainer disk are all free of any caulk (time consuming but necessary.)
6. Fill the lower part of the coffee maker with water up to the safety valve (brass hex nut thingy) put the empty coffee basket in place and screw the top on tightly and place on the stove at the usual heat setting.
7. Watch the unit carefully and don't stand too close the first time out. If the unit won't hold pressure or won't siphon correctly, either dig out the new gasket and try again or ditch the unit and buy a new one.
8. Run several cycles of water through the unit before making coffee. (Silicone is inert and ingesting a bit won't hurt you but it can't taste very good.)

This worked perfectly for me. Hope this helps, comments invited.

5.0 out of 5 stars works a charm, July 10, 2013
This review is from: GSI Outdoors 4 Cup Stainless Mini Expresso (Sports)
nothing like some proper steam brewed coffee over the campfire. This is much better than the aluminum versions. Takes a lot of coffee to work, but worth it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Tempermental, May 28, 2013
This review is from: GSI Outdoors 4 Cup Stainless Mini Expresso (Sports)
This thing takes some experimentation to get it to work right. The directions with it are useless. I had to play with the stove burner setting for several batches until I got it too work right. If the stove burner is too high or too low mostly steam would come out and the volume of liquid ended up much less than the capacity of water put into it and hence the coffee is way too concentrated. I finally figured out that I had to put my burner on 6 to get it to produce the volume of coffee it claims to make. There was no mention of this in the directions. I use the same electric stove burner every time I use this. If I was on different stoves (gas, camping stoves) I'd have to find this sweet spot setting anew for each stove and would waste time and coffee. The little black heat guard on the stem slips up the tube which is annoying but not critical. I have the smaller aluminum GSI espresso maker and that is less finicky and I like the flavor better from it. This big one is stainless steel which is a plus and makes 4 shots at once which is why we got it and still use it.

3.0 out of 5 stars more annoying build quality issues, May 6, 2013
This review is from: GSI Outdoors 4 Cup Stainless Mini Expresso (Sports)
i bought a one-shot and also this 4-shot. The 1-shot was disappointing due to leaking pressure valve and short takeup tube and the black plastic protector being too thin and nothign like the photo.

This 4-shot one is disappointing due to the black protector actually sliding up and down the shaft of the output tube. It is loose. (incidentally it looks like the photo, and this is also the protector that I received on the one-shot). For a supposedly premium quality product this is a poor result - two items, two disappointing build-quality experiences.

It does however make a nice coffee, it is stainless steel rather than aluminium, and it is a convenient travel accessory. If I had not also had the bummer one-shot I would have been more forgiving on the sliding plastic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Capacity?, January 13, 2014
Colleen "Crock" (Arch Cape, OR, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: GSI Outdoors 4 Cup Stainless Mini Expresso (Sports)
I have both sizes of this item, and I noticed the larger one makes approximately the same amount as the smaller one...I think it is the placement of the steam vent in the bottom part...I would just replace with the smaller size in future...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great coffee at the campsite!, March 12, 2014
This review is from: GSI Outdoors 4 Cup Stainless Mini Expresso (Sports)
I love this coffee maker, but warning, it splatters because of its design, so you have to chose the right cup to accompany it. The cup must be tall and able to accommodate a full cup of coffee, because near the end of the 'brew', the water jets out with a lot of force, and splatters, so the wrong mug could make a mess. Also, it helps if the cup has a protective handle, or doesn't get too hot, as the metal base transfers a lot of heat. The ideal mug would be tall and wide, with an insulated handle, and a cover that allows just the spout to enter. I am surprised that GSI hasn't developed one, yet.

I used to have the single cup aluminium version, and I found I had to waste a lot of time as a decent coffee for me is about 3 or four of what the smaller one produces, but this one gives me a nice healthy mugful, in about the same amount of time, and at not much extra weight. Also, I was a bit sketched out at using aluminium at such a high temperature, so the stainless steel is worth it to me, as it is less likely that I imbibe some of the metal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent service, January 26, 2014
This review is from: GSI Outdoors 4 Cup Stainless Mini Expresso (Sports)
I was looking for this mini expresso for a long period of time because I wanted stainless steel and they have it. Excellent service of the people of GSI.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, August 4, 2013
This review is from: GSI Outdoors 4 Cup Stainless Mini Expresso (Sports)
This worked great camping! The espresso tastes wonderful and we're even using it at home as it brews enough for two servings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than cheap electric expresso maker, May 29, 2013
slf (GRAPEVINE, TX, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: GSI Outdoors 4 Cup Stainless Mini Expresso (Sports)
I bought this for our RV and it is much better than the cheap expresso maker we were using. It's small and does not take up much space. I am glad I got the 4 cup version because after using it I'm sure the smaller one would have been to little. I use a little stainless steel creamer pitcher and measure the water with that. It does leave a little water that won't pump out in the base of the unit. It does sputter a bit and splatter some coffee on the stove but its not to bad. Its very easy to use and clean and its easy to store with storage being an issue.

5.0 out of 5 stars The second best piece of camping equipment ever..., July 30, 2012
Michelle Holcomb "Jerry416" (Carrollton, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: GSI Outdoors 4 Cup Stainless Mini Expresso (Sports)
The first was my kelty microfleece sleeping bag warmer, but if I have to get out of that on a cold morning, at least I can slide ride into a nice hot espresso to make up for it. This thing will take the worst ground coffee (stale folgers that was left over from the last camping trip) and the worst tasting water (North Texas lake water in August) and turn it into wine...wait...wrong time of day. But you get the idea. Easy, fast, worth the weight, you can make regular coffee if you water it down, or drink it straight up. The trick is to screw the thing down as tight as you can when you put it together. I use it with a jetboil stove, you will want a large mug to catch the espresso, because it does splatter and sputter. Totally beats any coffee I have ever made outdoors, and I own the lot of camping and backpacking coffee makers - drip, propane, press, percopot - tried em all and nothing comes close to the flavor this little device doles out. I have taken to using at home too as it does a better job than my electric espresso maker. I will not hesitate to take this backpacking - at a pound of weight, its absolutely worth it!

GSI Outdoors 4 Cup Stainless Mini Expresso