Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: GSI Super Quality Mega Land And Sky 76mm Reflecting Telescope - Optical Glass Lens and Metal Body - Includes Aluminum Tripods and All Accessories
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Eli Paperboy Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

on November 12, 2011
well, this telescope has been pretty good so far. it feels well built and the metal finish is nice and attractive looking. it isn't so big that it is hard to move around so it is easy and portable in that sense. setting it up was a cinch so you don't have a long process to go through before you are looking at the sky. the lens clarity and magnification seem more than fine to me. so i'd recommend it, good choice for me, being somewhat of a beginner.
on December 22, 2013
I wanted a modestly priced telescope for occasional viewing. This particular product looked like a good fit, so I placed my order. Afterward, I read the reviews posted by previous purchasers and began to wonder if I had chosen well.

The telescope arrived on-time and very well-packaged. I am not a handyman. I dislike construction and assembly projects. Mechanical engineering is not my forte. So, after removing the telescope, parts and instructions from the box, I put them aside until I felt adequately motivated to undertake the assembly. Today, 10 days later, was the day!

Unlike some reviewers comments, I was favorably impressed by the initial "out-of-the box" quality of the telescope and the associated parts. I remembered thinking, "this is very nice for the price!"

In my opinion, post-assembly, the GSI Super Quality Mega Land and Sky 76mm Newtonian Reflecting Telescope is one helluva buy for the money! I highly recommend this product to anyone who wants a high-quality telescopic viewing instrument at a budget price. I am well pleased with my decision to buy the GSI, compared to similarly-priced telescopes offered by Amazon.
on November 16, 2012
First I'll say the very few positives. Arrived in a timely manner, had all the parts. Was actually not that difficult to put together, contrary to the other reviews. We followed the picture diagram and the few very poorly written assembly instructions and were able to figure it out without too much trouble.
Other than that, this thing is complete junk. It feels very cheaply made. Other than the flimsy aluminum telescope tube and equally unstable aluminum tripod legs, everything else is made from a very low quality plastic. After getting it adjusted and tightened down as best we could, it was still so wobbly I'm not sure how you could keep it positioned on one object. Though didn't even really have the opportunity to try because we're pretty sure the internals of the telescope itself are either missing something or not assembled correctly. We can get absolutely no light reflection to view through the eyepiece, even when we just simply shine a light down the tube, the view through the eyepiece is completely black. It's like the reflector mirror is completely missing. Unless you already know how to use a reflector telescope, or are able to find instructions off the internet or have someone show you, the instructions provide absolutely no guidance what so ever on how to actually operate the telescope. We are planning to return this item and purchase something a little more expensive but hopefully better quality.
on September 3, 2013
This telescope is good, my first reaction to it was the cheap plastic it was made from, the second day outside the right knob where the telescope pivots up and down busted right off. The lenses are not all that great, mine came with cracks on the sides. There is also dirt/hair (not really sure what) all over them and no amount of cleaning them seems to get rid of it. I also find it impossible to use the locator (the viewing piece on top) It's just terribly aligned. If you are just wanting to check out the full moon this is great.
on August 22, 2012
I'm not sure why everyone was having problems assembling this unit. It was fairly intuitive in my opinion. I just looked at the picture on the box and figured out how to piece it together.

The problem I had was with the lenses. Particularly the 2X tube. The 3 eyepieces that came with this kit do not mate well in the 2X tube. The fit is tight and it's not clear how deep you have to insert the eyepiece into the 2X tube. I ended up getting the plastic sleeve from the 20mm eyepiece stuck in the 2X tube. Luckily I was able to remove a plastic sleeve from one of the other eyepieces and use it on the 20mm eyepiece (this will only make sense if you own the unit).

Overall quality is not great but at this price I wasn't expecting too much.

Documentation is poor. There should be more explanation on usage. Particularly since this is a beginner's telescope. For instance, a 20mm eyepiece provides less magnification than a 12.5mm eyepiece. Not very intuitive.

Overall, not a great product but it does work. I was able to get a view of the moon and it was pretty cool. Would I recommend this unit? Probably not. Maybe spend just a little more and get a higher quality unit.

Warning: the unit is called "Land and Sky" but honestly it is not really useful for terrestrial viewing since everything appears upside down (common for reflective telescopes).
on October 2, 2013
IT is a great product but there are very little instructions for it. I have no idea how to put in the eye pieces or what they do. It is more trial and error than any thing. By the time every thing is set up what I wanted to look at has moved and I have to move every thing again.
on December 26, 2013
I have been reading most of the reviews for this product and have concluded that this telescope is not for a beginner nor is it practical for terrestrial use. Dispute what the box says mega land and sky, a reflector telescope makes the images upside down and reversed left and right. Its great for the moon because simply who cares if the moon is upside down at the eyepiece.
Also, most people who are unfamiliar with reflecting telescopes won't know how to collimate the secondary mirror.
I imagine that the actual eyepieces are of very poor quality and not at all coated and made entirely out of plastic.
If you want a land and sky scope purchase a 70mm-80mm REFRACTING telescope. No collimation required and images should be right side up and correct left-right.
Save your money and invest on a scope of at least $200
Say orion telescopes, celestron, or Meade.
The price is higher but when you see your child's face see Jupiter for the first time with its four moons its priceless!!!
Go with a refractor if you are a first time buyer and just want to get started you'll get more use out of it and then buy a 25mm plossl eyepiece from celestron, orion, or meade. Trust me I own 3 telescopes small medium and very large!
on February 16, 2012
This is the replacement for the first one that was broken. Was a Christmas present for my granddaughter and she has not been able to use it. I think they sent us the same one we sent back because it was broken in the same spot.
on December 9, 2014
More like looking thru rifel scope has the little dot that moves around with in the eye piece I've learned there are couple difremt kinds wish I would have went to store and look thru a couple side by side to find out the kind I wanted
on December 21, 2011
I've always wanted a telescope to peek at the night sky. This one is just what I needed. A little confusing to put together out of the box, but with help from my son-in-laws, we did it. I'm enjoying getting out at night and viewing the stars and moon. My grandkids have joined me several times. I purchased two books at the same time so we would know what we were looking at.