5.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected, very good value
I bought a set of Continental tires for my Golf TDI in spring. They are very nice tires and have a good wear rating. Unfortunately I put off repairing my inner tie rods and then put off getting a front alignment even longer. This caused the front tires to wear the outer edges of the tires within 20,000 miles. The rear tires are still in very good shape.

Because...
Published 13 months ago by Bloose

2.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for...
I guess you get what you pay for. Bought these for our 2010 Prius, tire guy said they'd give the same or similar mileage to the tires that I was replacing. Not so much, MPG is approx 20% WORSE (not similar by a long shot). Definitely disappointed in that area.
Published 3 months ago by Steve Funk

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected, very good value, December 5, 2013
This review is from: GT Radial Champiro VP1 Tire - 195/65R15 91H (Automotive)

Because I just bought a set of tires I wasn't prepared to buy more. Once I realized my procrastination cost me two tires I went looking for some replacements. I of course wanted to spend as little as possible. I looked at getting two more Continentals because they are actually nice tires, but at over $100 each I was hoping to find something less expensive.

That's where these tires come in. These were priced at just over 1/2 the price of the Continentals. So for a little more than the price of a single tire I got two new ones. The wear out warranty is 40,000 miles where the Continentals were 60. That means that these tires should need to be replaced at about the same time as the Continentals I still have on the car.

When I bought them I was a little skeptical because of their low price. My hope was that they were made by one of the OEM's here in North America though I knew that in today's day and age that was a little optimistic. Turns out they are made in the worlds low cost producer, China. That may not matter to some, and in this case I was willing to look past that.

Upon receiving them I noticed that they look a lot like the Continentals though not so much to suggest they are a copy but close enough that it is hard to tell them apart on the car. I mount and balance my own tires in my home shop and these mounted easily and took very little weight to balance. On a tire this size that should be expected but severely imbalanced tire are an indication of poor quality control. These didn't have that problem at all. They also ran very true on the balancer another indication of a well produced tire. So far so good.

Once on the car I was greeted with a smooth and quiet ride. Very much on par with the Continentals. I've had some pretty loud tires on this car in the past, thankfully these are not among them. I've only had the tires on the car for a week but I do commute 50 miles each way for work. In the last week most of the days it has been raining so I got a good introduction to their rain handling. I'm very impressed with them. This car is very sensitive to hydroplaning, or it has been with other tires, and these didn't hydroplane at all. They also have well above average grip on wet roads. One things most tires do on this car is they slip when starting out on wet roads when you cross the painted cross walk lines. I noticed immediately that these tires didn't do that. When starting out from a light in the rain and crossing the painted lines there is no slippage at all. It should be noted that I didn't try to make them slip, but I didn't have to try with other tires. Their wet performance is impressive indeed.

Coming up shortly here we will be getting snow and I'll have a chance to experience them in snow and likely on ice. I fully expect their performance to be on average with the name brand tires I've used over the years. If the tires are exceptional either way, good or bad, I will add an update.

One point I should make is that I do not drive this car as a sports car in any way. My driving in this car is pure commuting. My biggest concerns are traction and wear but the traction I am talking about is the type you need only to keep from sliding around while driving at legal speeds and not "pushing" the car in any way. If you want to know how these tires "handle" corners at higher speeds or any other type of performance driving I have no idea how they would work. Then again, if your looking for a sporty tire these likely are not what your looking at.

Overall if you need an inexpensive tire, are OK with them being made in China, and just need them to handle daily driving, these are likely a good value for you. When it comes time to replace these I will likely go with something else. Not because they are not a good tire or a good value, but because normally I seek out tires made in the USA or North America if possible. If the country of origin make no difference to you, or you just don't have the money for some name brand tires, you should have no problems with these.

***Update***

We have gotten some snow here in SE WI now so I now know how they work in the snow. The answer is terrible. Before deciding these are not for you though I should explain.

The car these are on is a 2003 VW Golf TDI. The car has 230,000 miles on it so I've had many different brands of tires on this car. I can say that not a single brand or style has been anything but terrible in the snow on this car. I have to believe that for what ever reason, the chassis dynamics of this vehicle are such that traction in the snow is a challenge for any tire. I have no idea why but again, there is no tire I've ever run on this that hasn't been terrible in the snow. I'm certain that some snow specific tires are about the only tire type that has any chance at all of working decently. I've never run any of those though, I may in the future.

With that said, these tires are really no better or worse than any other tire I've ever run on this car. Because of that I would say these tires performance in the snow is about on par with every other tire in its range. Even the ones that I have paid over twice as much for. In that regard these are still a very good deal.

The final determination on these tires will come down to wear. If they make it the 40,000 miles of the wear out warranty I will be very happy with them and recommend them to anyone on a budget. Again, when the time comes for new ones I will likely buy something else, but only because I'd prefer domestically produced tires, not because of quality or value. When these tires have lived their useful life I will do a final update on my findings. The problem is that will likely be two years from now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Champiro GT tires, January 1, 2014
This review is from: GT Radial Champiro VP1 Tire - 195/65R15 91H (Automotive)
It is great reasonable price and high quality with safe drive and saving money and will recomend it to all my friends

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous deal, March 17, 2014
This review is from: GT Radial Champiro VP1 Tire - 195/65R15 91H (Automotive)
Great price on tires for my remote location. Look forward to using it again. Please keep these items available to us. Thanks

5.0 out of 5 stars tire, February 1, 2014
This review is from: GT Radial Champiro VP1 Tire - 195/65R15 91H (Automotive)
This tire is a little more stiff than others of the same size. Mounting using Pledge as a lubricant does require a brief application of a pair of tire irons when slipping the second bead over the rim where with other tires only one iron is required. Not a big deal as it takes about 2 minutes or less to do it in my driveway flat on the ground. Inflation is easy due to the extra stiffness where with another brand of the same size requires the first bead to be seated over the narrow margin and letting gravity begin the seating of the second bead over the ramp margin of the rim. TOOK A WHILE TO FIGURE THAT ONE OUT ON THE OTHER BRAND as even banding did not work. This seems to be a better tire and balance check revealed none needed on pre balanced rim. I love it.

2.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for..., October 25, 2014