5.0 out of 5 stars best choice
Published 19 months ago by Rich D.

1.0 out of 5 stars GE Washer Model #GTWN2800DOWW
This is my first experience with GE products. My parents only bought Sears products during my childhood and for 23 years I have owned Sears Kenmore models, Samsung, and Whirlpool appliances.

This is my second GE washing machine in the past 6 months, and it is definitely another huge dud.

Can you say never again! I originally purchased the GE 3.6...
Published 22 months ago by Tabitha

1.0 out of 5 stars GE Washer Model #GTWN2800DOWW, November 18, 2012
Tabitha (Orlando, FL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: GE GTWN2800DWW 3.9 Cu. Ft. White Top Load Washer

Can you say never again! I originally purchased the GE 3.6 DOE CU. FT. Model GTWN4250MWS (White) stainless interior no agitator bar with matching dryer for $1520.00.

It simply did not wash even a small load (see my review on this model). I washed one t-shirt in the machine and it came out dirtier than when I put it in--I kid you not.

I showed it to the GE tech who serviced the machine, and of course he could not say anything even when he saw it with his own eyes.

To appease me, GE offered me choices. Replace the machines with new machines within a similar price range, or upgrade and pay hundreds of dollars more for their top of the line models.

I chose the match and they replaced the other machines with the GE Washer Model #GTWN2800DOWW, and a matching dryer.

Well folks, apparently GE knows very well they're selling a mechanical mess. The load switch on this particular model gets stuck in position and floods your house--ask me how I know.

I have new construction and it is good I was paranoid and bought flood insurance, and I have a home warantee.

The reset switch is suppose to automatically switch back by itself, but as the tech stated, "Sometimes it gets struck in position and overfills and over flows."

He also found that I needed a replacement part in the machine so we made an appointment for him to return on the Tuesday, and he never showed.

As soon as I get my tax return, I am selling these two buckets to a second hand appliance shop with full disclosure, and upgrading to Samsung or Kenmore.

1.0 out of 5 stars No "delicate" cycle and goes out of balance with horrible noise, February 16, 2013
This review is from: GE GTWN2800DWW 3.9 Cu. Ft. White Top Load Washer
GE exchanged our HE(High Efficiency) washer GTWN4250DOWS we had recently bought for this model, GTWN2800DWW. The so called High Efficiency model was anything but as it refused to fill the tub more than 7 inches even for extra large loads and even after 4 separate service GE calls. This is because of the UNIVERSALLY hated "Precise Fill" feature apparently imposed on most manufacturers in an effort to save water. But instead, in many cases it WASTES water as the poor housewife/househusband must wash twice or ADD SEVERAL PALES OF WATER BY HAND. So, GE assured us that the model they suggested for an exchange doesn't have the "Precise Fill" feature but otherwise it is identical with the HE model we couldn't use. Little did we know that this Model GTWN2800DWW DOES NOT HAVE A DELICATE CYCLE and thus now my wife has to wash our delicates by hand or risk ruining them with the high velocity speed this machine has. Additionally, it goes out of balance with large loads REGARDLESS of how carefully you distribute the load inside the tub in a round/uniform way. BUYER BEWARE! No delicate cycle and prone to unbalancing with an unbelievable noise, as if someone took a sledge hammer to the floor and walls of your laundry room with intent to demolish it.

5.0 out of 5 stars best choice, February 10, 2013
This review is from: GE GTWN2800DWW 3.9 Cu. Ft. White Top Load Washer
The way to appreciate this machine is to use a High Efficiency top loader for a year like we did. Unless you wash in an area with water rationing do NOT buy an HE machine. After struggling with ridiculous low water levels I put a 12 lb weight in the tub of our new Kenmore top loading HE machine to test the "auto adjusting" water level for a really large load and we only got 8" of water. There is no soak capability because there is not enough water. A NORMAL load only gets 3" of water and that won't even cover the clothing. If you complain about stains, the sales men say you aren't using the right soap and if you tell them you are using the right soap they say there is a lawsuit with your brand. We bought this GE model and gave that machine away.
If you have heavily soiled clothes like a mechanic, wash children's clothing, are interested in washing diapers or work with any body fluid contact this is the machine for you. You have control of the water level, wash time, you can soak with bleach. If the laundry doesn't come out to your liking it is probably YOUR fault with the settings. It is quiet, reasonably priced and the laundry looks and smells clean.

2.0 out of 5 stars Makes holes in clothes, January 29, 2014
This review is from: GE GTWN2800DWW 3.9 Cu. Ft. White Top Load Washer
I bought this machine through Home Depot back in August. At first we loved it. It did a great job cleaning clothes (and I say this with a family of 4 boys!!). However, over the last few months the machine started "eating" our clothes. It literally looks like there was a mouse in the machine eating little holes in the clothes. It has destroyed 3/4 of our underwear and socks, many dress and polo-shirts and even some pants. GE sent out a technician. The first one blamed on the government regulatory requirements for water efficiency but wrote in the report that nothing was wrong with the machine. I insisted on a second technician who thought that the issue was with sharp edges on the agitator. They sent us a new agitator this weekend and I will see whether that resolves the problem.
I am giving this 2 stars because to GEs credit they had a technician at our house within 48 hours of the call. They also have an outside insurance company. I called the insurance company over the phone and they were willing to offer me $300 w/o any questions.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very easily goes out of balance during spin cycle and will tear holes in clothes and towels, October 31, 2012
Linda Robertson (Heavener, Oklahoma) - See all my reviews
This review is from: GE GTWN2800DWW 3.9 Cu. Ft. White Top Load Washer
I bought this washing machine from Home Depot 3 months ago. At first, the washing machine was very quiet and operated without any problems and just in the last 3 weeks I have been having trouble with it going out of balance during the rapid spin cycle. Sometimes I have to re-arrange the laundry several times before it can finish spinning. I would not recommend leaving this washing machine unattended because of it going out of balance. I have been doing laundry for 40 years and I have never had a washing machine this sensitive during the spin cycle. Otherwise, I like this machine because of the large capacity and the ability to control the water level and temperature.
April 19, 2013-After owning this washing machine for about 9 months, I have experienced another problem. It will tear holes in items that are allowed to agitate for very long. I don't know how it is happening but I have washed new sweat shirts and pants just once and they come out with little holes in the material that turn into big holes with repeated washing. I now put clothes into zippered laundry bags to protect them and that seems to work, although it is a hassle. The washing machine mysteriously completes all spin cycles without going out of balance. It somehow corrected itself of that problem. Doing laundry with this washing machine requires a watchful eye. I definitely would say avoid this washer!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible!!!, February 14, 2013
This review is from: GE GTWN2800DWW 3.9 Cu. Ft. White Top Load Washer
Purchased this item locally brand new. It was DOA. Would fill with water and drain but never agitated or spun. Contacted GE and they walked me through resetting the motor and made sure the shipping pin was but nothing helped. Returning the set.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good washer for the price., February 17, 2014
This review is from: GE GTWN2800DWW 3.9 Cu. Ft. White Top Load Washer
This is a basic washing machine. For my family this is a good unit. I had a front loader and had nothing but problems. This machine does it's job, drum is very large and gets the clothes clean.

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible waste of money, November 2, 2013
Diane Champagne (Fountain, CO United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: GE GTWN2800DWW 3.9 Cu. Ft. White Top Load Washer
Never have I had so many issues. Exchange only to recieve another of the same quality. Garbage. Do not buy this model. Do NOT I repeat. Run, as fast as you can away.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, but has some issues, March 2, 2013
This review is from: GE GTWN2800DWW 3.9 Cu. Ft. White Top Load Washer
We bought this washer almost two year ago, and for the most part it is adequate. Good things to say about it inlcude it's large capacity, quiet washing cycle, and stainless steel tub. Like other reviewers, however, we have a huge problem with it going off balance. This is especially true with a load of towels. We can't wash more than two towels at a time with out having problems. When off balance, it also does not get all the soap rinsed, even when the extra rinse cycle is selected. The spin cycle is incredibly fast, which I'm assuming makes it more sensitive to load imbalance. When it stays balanced, it's fine, but when it goes off balance, it makes for more work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Product, May 5, 2014
This review is from: GE GTWN2800DWW 3.9 Cu. Ft. White Top Load Washer
I have owned this washing machine for almost a year now and have had no problems with it. It does make some noises that my old washer did not, but GE explains them in the instruction booklet. I just put the clothes in with some soap and let the machine do it's job. I don't care about the noises. Good machine and good value. When sales people steer you away from the HE machines that told me that an old style washer was what I wanted.

GE GTWN2800DWW 3.9 Cu. Ft. White Top Load Washer