5.0 out of 5 stars Good variety
Published on November 3, 2006 by GU Boy

Published on October 22, 2011 by Responsive Reader

5.0 out of 5 stars Good variety, November 3, 2006
Like most users of GU, I run marathons. I chose this package because I wanted to find a flavor that I could stomach later in a race and this let me experiment. This package has eight separate flavors: orange, vanilla, espresso, berry, lemon-lime, chocolate, banana, and plain. I won't comment on the taste because that is an individual preference, however, I do prefer GU to Clif Shots, which to me are pastier and harder to get down without a good amount of water.

5.0 out of 5 stars Some flavors include caffeine - and 2x caffeine, July 2, 2012
Updated. I started researching gels while training for a marathon. GU stood out (online and offline) as the preferred brand for runners, so I ordered this as a sampler and hoped a few flavors would be digestible. Fortunately, all of the 8-10 flavors were decent (some are quite good!), the gels have gone down easy and work as intended. Very satisfied with the GU brand choice. After finishing the first box, I have since ordered two more.

My review is really to highlight the addition of caffeine--if you are strictly avoiding caffeine while training, do not order this 'mixed flavor pack'. Some of the flavors include caffeine, and several contain 2x the amount. If, however, you're at least not completely opposed to caffeine, order this. It's the best price/value I could find at $27.49 (free shipping), and the dose of caffeine at 20 mg is hardly noticeable...less than one-fifth the amount in a cup of coffee. Personally, I'd still like to have known this upfront, but hope the review is helpful for others considering gels.

Updated 8/27/2012 - Looks like this SKU is no longer available, which is disappointing. Should it return, the flavors are: Vanilla Bean x3 (caffeine), Mint Chocolate x2 (no caffeine), Strawberry Banana x2 (no caffeine), Lemon Sublime x2 (no caffeine), Mandarin Orange x2 (caffeine), Jet Blackberry x2 (2x caffeine), Espresso Love x2 (2x caffeine), Tri-Berry x2 (caffeine), Chocolate Outrage x2 (caffeine), and five new Roctane formulations (one each) that GU is marketing as premium: Chocolate Raspberry (2x caffeine), Vanilla Orange (2x caffeine), Cherry Lime (caffeine), Pineapple (no caffeine), Blueberry Pomegranate (caffeine).

5.0 out of 5 stars Likely Product Mix, July 29, 2011
I purchased the flavor mix pack a few months back. It wasn't from this link, but I assume this is the same product. I will agree that it is very frustrating they don't tell you exactly what it is. This is the review I posted - hope it helps.

I just wanted to leave a note of what the composition of the Mixed Flavors pack looked like. I had a hard time finding information on what exactly I'd get. I'm sure they change could change this from time to time, but this is what I had:

"Roctane" Gu packets (1 each): Blueberry Pomegranate, Vanilla Orange, Cherry Lime, Pineapple. These are the high endurance packets. The Blueberry Pom and Vanilla Orange are both double caffeine, Cherry Lime is normal caffeine and the Pineapple has no caffeine.

Regular Gu Packets had 3 of Chocalate Outrage and Vanilla Bean. The rest had two of each flavor: Strawberry Banana, TriBerry, Expresso Love, Mandarin Orange, Jet Blackberry, Mint Chocolate, Lemon Sublime. The Strawberry Banana, Mint Chocolate, and Lemon Sublime have no caffeine, while Jet Blackberry and Expresso Love are double caffeine - everything else is normal caffeine.

If you're looking to shake it up or find a favorite flavor, I think this is a good buy. I don't know that Gu is the best energy gel out there - I actually think everyone just has to find out what they like in taste and texture and what their stomach can handle. I've had good luck with Gu myself and I look forward to trying all the flavors.

5.0 out of 5 stars This probably saved me during the marathon., November 20, 2011
N (Moon, Space) - See all my reviews
In a nutshell: Energy gel that keeps you going when going gets you tough. Well, until your knees give out or something.

What it is: It's an energy gel formulated for endurance athletes (never mind that not a lot of us who use the products like these will ever win a New York Marathon or something; if you participate, you're an athlete, right?) I've got the Chocolate Outrage version, which has 32g of mixture containing various carbs, amino acid, and rather marginal amount of caffeine. The price comes down to roughly $1 per pack, which might be a bit hard to swallow (no pun intended).

What it's like: It's a chocolatey paste that's easy to squeeze out and suck on from the pouch while running. It recommends you to drink water while eating this; I recommend the same (and try for water instead of sports drink; water works better for washing this down). I used this for my first (and last?) marathon, at the recommended pace of one pack 15 minutes before the race, and every 45 minutes of activity... it was cut closer to an hour than 45 minutes, as it does take some time to get absorbed to your body. Thanks to it, I was able to finish the marathon despite my body basically refusing to run the last few miles. If nothing else, I had the energy to go further, if not the joints. And that's probably due to my inadequate training; this is no miracle worker in that it lets you do things you normally wouldn't do. Or maybe it does... it's just that having the energy to do things doesn't translate to having the physical capacity to run ridiculous distances.

Does it work?: I think so. But it doesn't seem to have replenished any electrolytes... so I guess you should use sports drink with this, after all.

In conclusion: these packs work wonders in keeps you going in the energy department--follow the instruction and I'm sure you won't bonk halfway through. Don't forget to train, though!

5.0 out of 5 stars These are good, September 19, 2007
GU Energy Gel, Chocolate Outrage - 24 Packets

This is a good product to use when you are training for a half marathon or a full one, and also during the race itself. I always take it when I run 10 miles or more. I carry it in pockets in my fitness shorts or shirt (they are coming out with more fitness clothes with pockets, and it's really convenient). It makes recovery faster and I find my legs feel a whole lot better if I take it. I also like that the caffeine in it is not that much. I can't even tolerate a small cup of coffee, but the amount of caffeine in GU is just enough to give me a little fast energy while running, without giving me a "caffeine rush". The chocolate outrage tastes pretty good too. It can be messy too, so be warned and have somewhere to put the empty packets (because you wont want to carry them in your hand). I wash it down with some fluids and stick the empty packet in the empty bottle. If the bottle is not empty, I put it in my pocket.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, August 31, 2010
After having tried a handful of gels, blocks, and drinks - the Gu products are far superior. Gu gels are tasty, and easy to digest. The gels mix with water well so there isn't a residue left on the tongue after consuming.

Highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tasty, May 14, 2012
This review is from: Energy Gel 8 (Health and Beauty)
If you like Junior Mints, go for the Mint Chocolate flavor. It tastes exactly like a melted handful of them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff, definitely worth a try, October 13, 2012
When I was in high school some of my teammates would always use this product and have great races. I thought it was dumb because we weren't running particularly long distances and I always thought GU was for marathoners and stuff. Anyway now I'm in the marathon club at my college and decided I'd buy a pack just to see how my stomach likes it before I actually used it during a race. I ate some before a 5k time trial (about 30 minutes before) and I must say I felt AMAZING before and during the run. I had so much energy and everything was clicking.

I was skeptical before but this stuff really does work. I wish I could eat it before training every day but it's too expensive. Also the flavor I got (lemon sublime) I thought was actually pretty tasty and completely bearable.

I guess the most important thing to get out of this review would be that GU works for ALL distances; you don't have to be a marathoner or extreme endurance sport guy to enjoy this product. I always thought those guys on my track team were idiots and now I feel like an idiot for not eating the GU before races because it definitely helps.

It is also important to note that there's no caffeine in this stuff so NCAA athletes you're good to go.

Also one more thing, for those of you guys who eat this stuff on distance runs, don't be a doosh and throw your trash on the ground, just fold it up and put it back where you took it out of!

3.0 out of 5 stars One complaint: opening GU gels are problematic in colder temperatures!, October 22, 2011
Responsive Reader (Eastern Seaboard, USA) - See all my reviews
I highly value GU as a supplement, its the only gel I use in running and cycling. However, most of the popular fall marathons, such as NYC, Chicago, Philly, and MCM, are scheduled when temperatures are cooler -- sometimes downright cold! Well, I'm running Philly, which in 2011 is scheduled for November 20th. To train for this marathon, I run at night when temperatures drop. One thing I've noticed on long runs is that when the temperature is 40-45 degrees, and I reach for a GU at mile 13 (about the time I usually do), opening the package is labor-intensive, and ripping it with your teeth isn't the answer when breathing through a challenging point in a course. Try opening a GU gel when running up or down a hill in colder temperatures. Even the top tab (or nipple as I call it) is hard to open. My complaint: THE PACKAGE NEEDS TO BE PREFORATED AND MADE EASIER TO OPEN! I'll say it again, GU needs to make the packaging easier to open for runners and cyclists. It has nothing to do with hand strength. It has nothing to do with sweaty hands. The package should be easier to open. Period. Other than that its a 5-star product in my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great burst of energy when you need it, July 27, 2007
I have tried numerous products before trying Gu and was not happy with them. I could not find any where I liked the flavor, consistency, or the burst of energy that I needed. I bought a few Gu packets before a long run one day and really helped during the run. I thought this was fluke, so I tried Gu for about a month on my long runs. I found that I consistently do better with Gu than any other product. While I don't care for the Chocolate flavor (like eating frosting), all the other flavores are very good.

Rate and Discover Movies