5.0 out of 5 stars Good for the price and for the Beginner
Published on March 23, 2010 by Charles Alfred Walters

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for beginners - VOD version does not come with separate tabs
This is great for beginners because it has clear achievable goals to get to which is the entire song, which I think psychologically develops confidence if you can play an entire song even if it is relatively easy, and the pacing is great.
However, this is not for intermediates, I'd think intermediate would involve tapping, legato and some more techniques and levels...
Published 4 months ago by TheArchitect

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for the price and for the Beginner, March 23, 2010
Okay, I bought this from one of the vendors on Amazon under the new section for about $8.00 and for that amount it was well worth it. Now I'm not really a beginner, but I haven't played in a long time and wanted to see what I can learn from it. What I really liked about it was that in the beginning the instructor talks about how to get that Metal sound from the Amp and effects, and he doesn't use or illustrates expensive guitar equipment to show you, he used items that anyone can buy at a low cost. The one thing I wish the DVD had was downloadable PDF's of the lessons. Now if you have played guitar and feel you are still pretty much a beginner this DVD is for you, but one worming...this DVD does start out slow and builds from there. All in All it's a good DVD.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Sure About Intermediate but Definitely for the Beginner, May 11, 2012
I play guitar and have played since the late 80s but am by no means a maestro on the instrument and am always trying to find a new way to do what I enjoy doing. Mark John Sternal has done an acceptable job with how he shows a simple way to play some of the typical things Heavy Metal guitarists play like chuggin on the low E string as well as using a scale (here he uses the E minor pentatonic scale) and explains why he's doing and how he's going to do it.

Not sure if I'd label this intermediate because while some of the tricks may seem intermediate they aren't really. Metal guitar gets heavily into Modal Scales as well as heavy arpeggiated riffs which aren't discussed here.

What Mark DOES do is explain things like how to get a heavy tone by how to set up your amps as well as your stomp box settings. Then he explains some of the things Metal guitarists use such as pull offs, hammer-ons as well as scale use. The material is graduated to a point where you are playing the very song that plays through while the DVD is parked at the Menu. It's not a bad tune but nothing all that intermediate.

If you're an intermediate player, you may want to pass on this however if you're a beginner and you've been wanting to learn how to jam with some of the big boys, this DVD will give you a step in the right direction. If you learn the song on here, you can pick it apart in pieces & use them to comp with others in a garage band.

Overall I give this DVD 4 out of 5 stars due to it being an excellent beginner starting point but not quite intermediate (in MY opinion - your mileage may vary).

5.0 out of 5 stars Stuff I always wanted to learn, but was afraid to ask, April 3, 2011
Well here goes, when I started playing guitar in the 80's, all i wanted to do was learn songs, and it was usually a familiar intro or favorite solo here and there, didnt take the time or have the patience to learn how chords fit together with scales,playing in the right key etc. now that i have really got into this DVD, it is an excellent learning tool, learning notes,scales and chords by the key that I've always played but didnt take the time to get educated, was in to much of a hurry to be a "rockstar" back then and not learn the essentials, $12.00 give or take for this DVD is a steal, I would say beginners through intermediate, would get a lot out of this DVD, do yourself a favor, buy it,lock yourself in a room for the weekend, put this baby on and start jamming, wish they had quality DVD's like this back then. I have the AC/DC DVD as well, its great and the EVH is on the way Thank you Mark John Sternal, for keeping it simple and making it a blast to play/learn again. Gary P.

5.0 out of 5 stars easy metal guitar ideo video heavy metal guitar lessons for beginner to intermediate, January 30, 2010
This review is from: EASY METAL GUITAR video VIDEO Heavy Metal Guitar Lessons For Beginner To Intermediate (Amazon Instant Video)
this a great video and helpful I use it just about every day. the best

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast and easy, March 1, 2013
Well worth it. Very easy and a nice pace for a beginner. I like going back to review chapters. I see a major difference in my progress in a very short time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good for Beginning Metal Minds, November 29, 2010
Imperial Book Man (Oklahoma City, OK USA) - See all my reviews
I'm a long-time beginner, and played mostly blues and rock, but no metal. This is a great program for beginners who want to know more about the basic "tricks" behind metal music. I love the fact that the teacher walks you through the basics on how to set your amps and special effects. He answers questions that you may feel too stupid to ask your friends local guitar shop, since we all know that sales persons in the local guitar shop specialize in that. There are several basic lessons that work you up to a simple metal song, and you can go back to those lessons and work on them later, which is great. Yes, this is very basic, but a solid program. It's a real savings if you consider how much money you would spend in lessons.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Christmas Gift, January 29, 2013
Stephen Slack (terlton, ok United States) - See all my reviews
Got this for my son as part of his Christmas gift along with Fender Presents and easy guitar scales. He loves them and learning fast!

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Good DVD, January 6, 2013
I know some what of a lot of guitar theory and such. This DVD is absolutely what it sets out to do teach you three metal songs that the author has created. Way too many people expect this DVD to turn you into Mark Morton (All That Remains Guitarist) that comes with years and practice. But this DVD will set you on the right path, it teaches you all the foundation techniques in order to understand and play metal. He gives good examples in the music to show you how the tecniques are applied musically. I also own his lick by lick Metallica which is amazing, too many people out there try to write tabs for music and some of those people tab the music wrong the author gets it right in a easy to understand format without all the laden guitar terminology. This book is good for a beginner or advance beginner.

5.0 out of 5 stars great technique builder, June 5, 2012
i like this dvd for alot of reasons.it is thorough,and goes slowly for the beginner,it gives you excercises for developing chops,and i could go on and on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it says..., February 28, 2012
I'm a self-taught church keyboard player for over 10 years and beginner classical/pianist, I've been playing and learning guitar on the side for 5 maybe 6 years. When I purchased this for direct download I didn't know what to expect. But when I played it for the first time I ended up finding a tremendous amount of information although I already know how to use and am proficient at "Power Chords", this video includes much more than power chords. You'll learn many "riffs", "solos", and "hammer-ons" used in modern metal songs. The techniques and chords he shows you can all be put together to play different "songs" and I guarantee every time that you watch this video you will find something worth while. He slows down so he could teach you how to play it step-by-step, then he teaches you to keep the pulse or the rhythm by adding a metronome. I'll admit that this video doesn't cover everything that you'd need to know but if you want to be a well-rounded guitarist you need to add as many playing style to your arsenal as possible. Every guitarist aspiring, beginner, or intermediate should buy this.

Rate and Discover Movies