5.0 out of 5 stars Compact and works perfectly
If you just want an extra port on your laptop or desktop without the clutter and bulk of typical USB hubs, this little guy is the perfect answer.
It is exactly as the picture shows, compact with a 12" cord and works perfectly with my 2 flash drives attached and running on Windows 7.
Published on April 27, 2010 by Villhelm

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I needed
I needed this to split a USB port in my car. Unfortunately, this does not work for me in my car.
Published 7 months ago by John G. Zawislak

5.0 out of 5 stars Compact and works perfectly, April 27, 2010
This review is from: GWC Technology HU2024 USB 2.0 2-Port Hub (Electronics)
I tried 2 other name brand hubs, one too bulky, the other too flimsy. This hub, by GWC, is the ideal answer.
By the way, it also comes in a 4 port version.

4.0 out of 5 stars adds new port but power output is exactly the same, December 27, 2010
This review is from: GWC Technology HU2024 USB 2.0 2-Port Hub (Electronics)
does what most will want it to, add a new port. it did that, and i am content with its performance. however, i thought all should know that this will not match output of two separate ports on a pc. for instance, i have a usb port on my keyboard that isnt powerful enough for external drives on its own, where as connecting directly to a port on my pc is powerful enough alone. this device will not have each of the two ports match the output on your pc directly, it divides the output in half for each port. so if you need a whole direct-to-pc port to power something, this device will not work for you. but you can always free up direct ports by using this device for things that consume less energy, like your mouse n keyboard.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent little USB hub...compares well to others, April 8, 2011
This review is from: GWC Technology HU2024 USB 2.0 2-Port Hub (Electronics)
I am doing a project that requires integrating a USB hub. Because of that, I bought several small USB hubs (which I will remove the connectors from) to see which I liked the best. The first thing I did was do a quick functionality check. All worked. Then I cracked open the cases (see photos listed as "customer photos" for this listing...I posted photos to the respective listings for all 3). Here are my reviews for all 3 items so you can compare:

[...]GWC 2 port - [...] RECOMMENDED![...]
GWC HU2024 USB 2.0 2-Port Hub

Personally, this is my favorite.

One problem that's immediately apparent however is that the connector with two ports stacked on top will not always work for 2 devices however. Some manufacturer's insist on putting ungodly connector jackets on their USB cables which would prevent the other port from being used. (Think the giant wall worts that cover up both outlets). However, for my particular project I like the compactness of it.

It is machine assembled with very nice, tight compact design on a multi-layer board utilizing proper soldering and parts placement. The processor is an NEC 720114. I think it might be an obsolete part, but it's at least a proper one to use with low power consumption and certified USB 2.0 performance (datasheet available online). Driver installation for all current version of Windows (and Mac so it claims).

Cable is properly terminated and shielded. It appears (but I'm not 100% sure) that the board may even be conformally coated on the back to protect it. If so this is a very pleasant surprise.

Case was very difficult to pry open (had to actually damage the case to get it open...that's not a bad thing since most people don't want the case to crack off. No wasted space for LEDs either which I approve of...either it works or it doesn't. I don't need an LED to tell me I'm plugged in, thank you.

It also has overcurrent protection. If any port exceeds current it'll shut that port down and protect your computer and devices. For my personal use that's a downside, but for most people, enjoy it and be happy since it's generally a good thing.

Overall, I like it.
[...]Fuse 2 PORT- [...] - NOT RECOMMENDED!!![...]
Fuse Powerslice 06774 2-Port USB Hub
This one was probably the smallest if you are okay with side mounted connectors. It also has the shortest cable. Easiest to open eco-friendly packaging. Then I went to open the plastic case...it popped open with just a small tug, minimal pressure and doing so broke a tab. Inside though is where the truth is revealed.

First, it's a one sided board. This means that the traces for the circuitry are all on one side. You cannot see the IC as it's under one of those protective black gobs they put on things never meant to be seen again, but it obviously has very few traces coming out. This may indicate a very simplified IC (other solutions use proper processors which need quite a few external components and have a good 40 traces). Alternatively, it could be an okay processor with the multiple components under the black dot which would be acceptable. However, the use of a single layer board and the otherwise shoddy construction do not make me hold out much hope. It would be interesting to speed test this unit. I have my doubts that it can perform as the others given this. Considering my computer didn't register a new device when this was plugged in (as it does with other USB things) I have a bad feeling they may just be doing some sort of alternating between the two ports and treating this like a pass through. (Can't prove it though)

Now, taking a look at the side of the board and what components and connections you can see, it's IMMEDIATELy apparent that it's a really, really sloppy hand soldering job. Solder is crazed, not smooth and shiny, big gobs in places, holes not completely filled, jumpers made out of little wire bits (which is how they get around having a 1 layer board). This was not done by a trained technician. Many of the connections would be completely unacceptable for anyone with any form of certification. Lots of flux and glue mess too...no one bothered to properly clean the board after assembly. This is a hand solder job and a bad one. I don't mean to criticize the poorly paid labor of some 5 year old in China, but cripes! It's amazing it works at all and makes me hope they test all out of the factory, because if not, expect failure rate right out of the box to be high.

Run a full 1/2 A (max USB load) through either port and those bare wires are going to heat up big time as well. Without the protective resistors and caps between the ports, I could see some sizzle potential if you had the wrong two devices plugged in attempting to share power.

I would expect poor performance even when it's working perfectly and if it fails, I'd not be surprised at all.

[...]Belkin 4 port - [...] MOST HIGHLY RECOMMENDED[...]
Belkin USB 2.0 4-Port Ultra Mini Hub F5U407
Tiny gripe...way too much packaging and not very easy to get into.

Cord is also a bit short, but seems to have the nicest construction. I'm also very please to see the proper termination, and the nice connection to the board. It's potted! This means that the wires have very little chance of coming out even if tugged on quite hard.

Like the GWC, this one is machine assembled, multilayered. Nice, quality soldering. It could have been more compact, but not by a lot. It has fewer components overall when compared to the GWC, but that's likely because it has a nicer processor. It's running a Genesys GL850G which is a very high performance USB hub processor with lots of buffer and capability. Shouldn't bottle neck at all.

Ports are on each side. This makes it take up more space but is more versatile if that's not an issue for you. This is the shortest of the 3 through in height.

Again, a stupid LED on top. Really guys...LEDs are pretty, but not necessary unless they tell me something more useful than that it's plugged in and has power.

Nice case, not too bad to crack open, but I don't think it'll fall apart if you don't want it to.

Works with all modern versions of Windows and supposedly MAC too. Installs it's own drivers.

Overall a nice choice...a little bigger than the one I'm choosing, but it's also got double the ports.

This is the cheapest and most capable. If I weren't as interested in space, I'd choose it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works like a hub should, February 28, 2011
This review is from: GWC Technology HU2024 USB 2.0 2-Port Hub (Electronics)
This hub works great, it splits from one port to two ports so you can use two USB devices in a single port. The design is sturdy although the wire seems a bit thin, might be just the material used. It does what it needs to do and only requires a USB port. Power output would be cut in half though since USB only provides so much but that shouldn't be a problem except for power hungry devices like USB powered drives and disks. All my devices work on it flawlessly since I only have 4 USB ports in the back which this extends to 8 (I got 4 of these).

I'd recommend this if you want a small amount of new ports without anything being super bulky, but if you want more power you may as well get a powered hub.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good product., March 21, 2011
This review is from: GWC Technology HU2024 USB 2.0 2-Port Hub (Electronics)
If you just need one more USB 2.0 port this is the ideal device. It was received in new condition and worked immediately out of the box.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfectly, February 1, 2012
This review is from: GWC Technology HU2024 USB 2.0 2-Port Hub (Electronics)
Needed a usb doubler to attach mouse and external keyboard to notebook PC without using up 1/2 my usb ports. This small device works perfectly and was cheap what more needs too be said ?

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I needed, June 9, 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Works fine., July 2, 2014
This review is from: GWC Technology HU2024 USB 2.0 2-Port Hub (Electronics)
Have had this for some time now, and I've had no issues with it. Works fine.

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT AS PROMISED, May 7, 2014
This review is from: GWC Technology HU2024 USB 2.0 2-Port Hub (Electronics)
I purchased this splitter for the sole purpose of having two phones charging, does not work and not worth the shipping to return.

5.0 out of 5 stars This one works, March 28, 2011
Jonathan Kopke (Cincinnati, Ohio USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: GWC Technology HU2024 USB 2.0 2-Port Hub (Electronics)
I bought a different USB hub at Big Lots, and it worked for some devices, but it didn't work for connecting two printers, which was why I needed it. The GWC 2-Port Hub does work with my printers, and it didn't cost much more than the loser from Big Lots.

GWC Technology HU2024 USB 2.0 2-Port Hub