5.0 out of 5 stars a bit more mainstream than usual but still great...
Life might be full of disappointments but, quite on the contrary, through the years Spoon have proved a reliable source of enjoyment for me.

You might ask: what separates this band from thousands of other samey so-called indie bands? Lo-fi sound & look? checked. Praise from Pitchfork? Checked. Casual name-dropping by other indie acts/scenesters? Checked. Still,...
Published on August 24, 2007 by Simone Oltolina

3.0 out of 5 stars 3 and 1/2
I have to say this is maybe my least favorite Spoon album so far. Weird as it is, that's not really a bad thing. I feel Spoon is typically so good that anything lesser by comparison, is most likely still pretty good...Does that read as stupid as I think?

Anyway, I won't go over the songs individualy, since several people already have. However, I will list it...
Published on July 17, 2007 by Michael Byrd

‹ Previous | 17 8 9 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars More legal (and healthy!) crack from Spoon..., September 23, 2007
This review is from: Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga (Audio CD)
I can't get enough of this band....every single album I've been able to get my ears on is just money. Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga is no exception, and has been in very heavy rotation lately. Hell, I even went as far as to download "Don't You Evah" as a ringtone.....first time I've taken that step, and I feel slightly ashamed about it, but damn it, it's a good song. Makes me want to snap my fingers and dance like Napoleon Dynamite. Crack will do that to you.

Britt Daniels possesses what is currently my favorite voice in rock.....surprisingly versatile, he growls, howls, falsettos, croons (wait a second...what exactly is a croon? Okay, strike that) and harmonizes whenever and however he sees fit. Speaking of which, he has a talent for seeing things fit at just the right time, whether it's a harmony or a well placed chord strum, you name it. He's got many great songs under his belt, and this album is chock full o them.

I won't bother pointing out highlights.....hell, it's only 36 minutes and 26 seconds, and it's all good. My only complaint would be that there isn't more! I understand that people's taste in music differs, but if you don't like this, then I gotta question your taste.

Oh, and if you like Spoon and/or Bright Eyes, Check out the EP, Home, Vol. 4....it's a little 4 song collaboration between Mr. Daniels and Connor Oberst, with Spoon providing the backing, and it's quite good.

3.0 out of 5 stars I don't love it., August 14, 2007
This review is from: Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga (Audio CD)
I'm suprised as Gimme Fiction was incredible. I have never been one to harp on the past when I'm gifted new material by one of my favorite groups, but for those who say that this is as good or better than Gimme fiction - have you heard Gimme Fiction.
Listening to GaX5 makes me want to hear The beast and dragon adored, My mathematical mind, I summon you, I turn my camera on, They never got you, Sister jack (I'll stop).
I get that the sound and content was stripped down on purpose while they get their groove on - and they do, but this album sounds like it came before not after Fiction.

5.0 out of 5 stars one of the best records of 2007, October 23, 2007
This review is from: Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga (Audio CD)
1. when someone calls an album a "grower" that means they think a listener must listen to the album more than a few times to really appreciate it. no elitism there.

2. this album does not sound like REO Speedwagon. or REO Speedealer for that matter.

3. if you are a SPOON fan, this album is more in line with "Gimme Fiction" than their previous work.

4. i have probably listened to this album fifty or sixty times since it came out a few months back and seen the band twice since then (at Schuba's and the Riviera). hard to beat.

3.0 out of 5 stars GaGaGaGaGa...., November 30, 2008
This review is from: Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga (Audio CD)
A couple of tracks just sounded like noise and didn't fit with the rest of the album. But I would say at least half of the album contained tracks that I consider typical Spoon songs. I like Spoon for their sound as they have a unique sound.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I was hoping, September 6, 2007
Marcus Leach (NC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga (Audio CD)
I bought this CD off of an Amazon recommendation and it wasn't great in my opinion. The music and lyrics were both fairly simple and unexciting - nothing melodic or deep. I know this isn't an extremely descriptive review but overall - sub par.

2.0 out of 5 stars No Rock and Roll sensibility, July 17, 2007
Landon Arkens (Queens, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga (Audio CD)
I agree with Black Griffin. And I know that Pitchfork gave this album an 8.5 out of 10. And I know that they called this album a "grower". And I know that that implies that those of us who "don't get it" will be called shortsighted and unfeeling ignoramuses. But there's not much to this album. Nothing has the Rock and Roll energy on this record that is found on "Gimmie Fiction", "Kill the Moonlight", or "Series of Sneaks". But maybe that's what they were going for... Maybe their idea of becoming more experimental this year means lilting around on half hearted riffs and singing words that are entirely replacable over and over again. If that's the case, then yes, this album is experimental, but I hope that for their next release they get back their Rock and Roll sensibility and put out something Good.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great While It Lasts, July 10, 2007
Cale E. Reneau "Mound of Wires" (Conroe, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga (Audio CD)
There are very few bands around today that can consistently put out decent album after decent album. Spoon is one of the bands that can. "Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga" is the band's follow-up to 2005's stellar "Gimme Fiction." With a band like Spoon, you have to be expecting a lot, especially after such a great album. So does "Ga x5" live up to the expectations? You'll have to keep reading to figure out my verdict (or just scroll down to the bottom).

The album begins with the inexplicably infectious "Don't Make Me a Target," in which Britt Daniel simply sings the song's title as the chorus. With such a simple hook, one would think that the song would not be as memorable as it actually is. However, the song is a great lead-off track, and definitely gets the listener hooked immediately. It is a perfect showcase for the album's two greatest assets: Daniel's voice and flawless production. Unfortunately, any momentum that was started by the lead-off track is immediately squandered by the song that follows it. "The Ghost of You Lingers" is a shockingly plain song, with only repetitive 8th-note piano phrases and vocals to show. The song seems to exist for the sole purpose allowing the band to say "Hey, listen to all the cool things we did to this song in the studio! Hear that? That's called reverb!" It is a distraction, and just plain not worth listening to.

"You Got Yr. Cherry Bomb" picks up the pace and helps you forget what just happened. The song features some extra instrumentation courtesy of a saxophone and finds Britt singing "Life could be so fair, let it go on along" in a beautiful falsetto. The song is a fun affair and sure to be a hit at the band's live shows. It's followed by my favorite track on "Ga x5," the funky and soulful "Don't You Evah" that utilizes an awesome bass line to keep the groove going for the song's entirety.

"Rhythm and Soul" is a fairly decent pop rock song, but at the same time it seems utterly throwaway. It's fragile and utterly unmemorable vocal melody is really only bolstered by the band's instrumentation, but even then I only got a few good listens out of it before skipping over it. "Eddie's Ragga" is in a similar predicament. While it's not necessarily a bad song, it just gets lost in the rest of the album.

Fortunately, Spoon is smart enough to pick the pace back up, and they do so flawlessly with "Underdog," arguably the strongest song on the album. The song is truly one of Spoon's all-time best, complete with trumpets and off-beat hand claps. Again, Britt's vocals are unbelievably effective when he sings "You aren't here for the messenger. Don't want to know 'bout something that you don't understand. You got no fear of the underdog, that's why you will not survive!" Everything about this one is great and "Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga" really climaxes here.

"My Little Japanese Cigarette Case" is another song that could get lumped into the "forgettable" category. It has a pretty solid guitar part and a chorus that is almost there, bordering on greatness. "Finer Feelings" once again brings things back to a respectable level, with some catchy "do do doos," another great guitar part, and a spot-on vocal melody. "Black Like Me" is exceptionally well produced and it ends the album on a positive note. Though the song may start out sounding like your standard end-of-album ballad, it soon builds into a welcomed upbeat closer.

"Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga" is a fairly decent accomplishment from a band like Spoon. There are truly a few moments on the album that are "wow" inducing. At the same time, there are other times where you're bound to be scratching your head. While none of the songs on
"Ga x5" are downright terrible, the album as a whole is incredibly hit and miss. It's amazing highs are weakened only by it's forgettable lows. Expect the album to be really great the first time through, only to slowly fade away from your good graces after several listens. "Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga" is a good, fun album, but the fun won't last forever. Enjoy it while you can, for there are truly some awesome songs on it.

Key Track:
1. "Don't Make Me a Target"
2. "You Got Yr. Cherry Bomb"
3. "Don't You Evah"
4. "The Underdog"
5. "Finer Feelings"

6 out of 10 Stars

3.0 out of 5 stars Completely Boring, August 15, 2008
This review is from: Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga (Audio CD)
If you're just now starting to get in to Spoon, then by all means check out this album. It might sound new, strange, and yet brilliant all at the same time to you few folks who haven't indulged in the brilliance that is Kill the Moonlight, or Gimme Fiction. But Spoon's newest album, Ga Ga Ga Ga is one of the most boring albums I've ever listened to. It seems like Spoon got tired of coming up with melodies so they stuck with the idea of a few throughout. Perhaps Kathleen C. Fennessy finds this bold move as Beatlesesque, but few Beatles fans would agree. The critics failed to notice Kill the Moonlight and Gimme Fiction, so they decided to give Spoon the win with Ga Ga Ga Ga. Or at least that's my opinion, have a listen and decide for yourself.

2.0 out of 5 stars Should have called it wawawa, October 23, 2007
This review is from: Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga (Audio CD)
I first came accross Spoon on MySpace and really liked some of their sounds. I did a search on amazon and didn't sample any of it first just went with my gut because the earlier stuff I'd heard was so good. Big mistake. This is a good band. The cd left me flat. I was disappointed. All the songs seem to blend together which bummed me out because some of the other stuff I'd heard from them was amazing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterpiece!, July 10, 2007
saddyboy (indianapolis, in United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga (Audio CD)
This is far and above the best record that Spoon has recorded yet! In a career full of steller records, Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga exceeds my expectations completely!

‹ Previous | 17 8 9 | Next ›

Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga
Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga by Spoon (Audio CD - 2007)