Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

Format: Audio CD|Change

on February 25, 2015
Just a great record
on November 1, 2007
From it's blistering opening track berating George W. to the last tune, a haunting bonus track called "Deep Clean" (and one of the best songs on the album), Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga delivers the almost-hooks, clever songwriting, and rock 'n' roll 2.0 that more bands should be listening to for inspiration.

"Black Like Me" and "Finer Feelings" are probably among the best songs of the year, yet Spoon makes their genius seem almost effortless. There's no guile here. Just damn good music that will grow on you until you eventually own the entire Spoon catalog and write about Brit Daniels on your blog...
on May 1, 2008
I'm a huge Spoon fan, and I own all their albums. Based upon their track record, I bought this as soon as I came across it at a record store.

Boy do I wish I'd given it a listen first.

There are a lot of reviews here which are full of flowery prose, but here's the lowdown: this album does not live up to the standard set by prior Spoon albums.
on August 30, 2007
Had a chance to see these guys at the E-town show they did in Boulder. I have to say, they're not the best interview, but man are they great to listen to. As a friend once said to me regarding their earlier Girls Can Tell release, "This is a disc that I will listen to once, then it somehow it gets stuck in my CD player for a month." Well, since mp3's have ruined that a bit, I don't know that this album will ever get the continuous play time the earlier releases did (having to get out the 30-disc case in your car, find a new CD, and then change discs made month long stints in the CD player MUCH more common). Either way, this release has songs that are going to find a good deal of radio play. You'll enjoy it, but definitely make sure you check out their earlier releases, particularly, Girls Can Tell and Kill the Moonlight.
on September 26, 2007
This is a really pleasant album. The songs really have grown on me; the more I listen, the more I can't get them out of my head. Plus, I think they're very well crafted. Whether it's the band or the producer, I don't know, but the sound is crisp and clean.

Oh, and Nunya Biznes, with the dumb review below is crazy! Amazon's files DRM-laden? Excuse me?
on January 13, 2014
I purchased this album for a family member and I loved that I received it before the holidays! Thank you!
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 12, 2007
As an veteran fan of Indie-rock and all of its incarnations, I must say that Spoon is one of the most consistent and pleasurable from album to album. Their latest is just about as good as it gets when it comes to a straightforward studio album. It will probably end up on many year-end top ten lists, so I suggest that you drop a dime and pick it up. Excellent record.
on August 22, 2007
Spoon makes it look so easy, but it sounds so hard. From the stoopid title down to the audio mutts that these kids blend from far-flung sources, this is an absolutely fearless band, caught here at their fearless best. The first time I hear a new Spoon song, I always think I could probably do that in my garage after putting the cat out. The secound time I hear that song, I'm thinking "How inconspiculously catchy...". The third time, it's "Thelonius Monk couldn't've done that!".
on July 27, 2007
Silly album title aside, Spoon have made a good record, and in some ways, it's as good and likeable as 2005's Gimme Fiction. The big difference here is it sounds like they were really trying to be unique and different from some of the things they've done on albums past. After a few listens it becomes clear that it's a more segmented and disjointed record (which is ok). Old school fans might even say this record is zapped of some of the energy that made their last few records so enjoyable, but that doesn't make it dismissible in the least.

Over the years, Spoon have grown both in writing ability and commercial success (Jaguar commercial anyone), yet with Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga (I'm not typing that again Mr. Daniel), they may have successfully shed any of those pesky "indie" labels, they had. This is partly is due to the band's ability to put out thier own brand of music in their own way, and partly due to their overall talent. The new record highlights this talent and makes the most band's incredible, and eclectic skill set. This is especially true when it comes to the anti-pop songwriting dynamic, something they do very well.

Songs start and stop through Ga effortlessly, yet, again, there isn't much flow from one track to the next. Each song definitely stands alone on their individual merit and direction. The album's production and mix are clean, yet not overdone, leading to a sound that sometimes feels like a night with Britt Daniel in his studio. There is a weird intimate jamming aspect to some of the songs (Don't Make Me A Target, Finer Feelings), but its all delivered in a quick manner. Nothing to get hung about.

There are a few potential big singles on Ga, but I don't think anything is showing up in a car commercial this time out. Even though the label of "grower" could be applied here, you can quickly find something on Ga to get excited about. Spoon doesn't shy away from a radio friendly, or sing-a-long friendly tune on Ga. You Got Your Cherry Bomb is about as straight-up hooky as a Spoon song can get, and between that and the bouncy nature of Underdog, the label heads were very pleased I'm sure. But it's the less obvious songs that are the real winners here. The Ghost of You Lingers is what I'm calling the indie version of chopsticks, and somehow, the insistent piano key pounding and droning pace, work like a charm. Don't Make Me a Target would have sounded right at home on Moonlight or Fiction, and it keeps things basic without losing any groovy-ness. Other highlights for me include: Cigarette Case, Ragga, and Don't You Evah, all of which are just stellar tracks that could stand out on any Spoon album, cohesive or not. This rings true for the band on much of this record, they keep things no-frills and take it one track at a time, without alienating their audience or a good album in the process.
on January 24, 2008
What I can't figure out about Spoon's "Ga ga ga ga ga" is how it has become so huge since it came out. Yes, it's a good album, but I'm having trouble figuring out how it's so much higher on everybody's "Top Albums of 2007" lists than a lot of other albums. For some reason, pretentious rock critics everywhere are going GaGa over this album and I just can't figure out why. As far as I'm concerned it's definitely not in the Top 10 of 2007 and probably doesn't make it into the Top 20. I can think of tons of albums that I think completely surpass this album in aesthetic luster (Stars, Of Montreal, Jens Lekman, Andrew Bird, Okkervil River and MANY more).

Don't get me wrong, "Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga" is still a great album. It's just not a fantastic album. For me, I'm looking for lots of sonic color on an album. The thing that I love about many of what I consider to be many of the year's best albums is that the songs paint these colorful images that just sweep me away somewhere else. Unfortunately, "Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga" does not do this for me. The album is relatively monochromatic compared to much of what else I've been listening to. The only songs that venture into another color are "The Underdog" (which is definitely the best song on the album) and "The Ghost of You Lingers" (which though it gives us a change of pace is probably the most lackluster song on this album). Nevertheless, Spoon offers us some solid song writing and catchy hooks that stick with you for awhile (especially on "You Got Yr. Cherry Bomb"). I would just like to hear a little more variety and creativity in the arrangements.