Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Color: Blue|Change

on February 28, 2006
I purchased this Gaiam Balance Ball Chair in late December 2005.

It's an item you have to get used to if you've sat in regular office chairs for a long time (I've sat in padded-foam/plastic chairs for over 15 years, over 40 hours per week). I'm 6 feet tall, 155 lb., and practice Vinyasa Yoga every now-and-then, and I am no Yoga expert by any means.

1. The purpose of doing Yoga ball exercise is to align your body through training the core muscle in your torso--your abdominal muscle will help support your back. This practice, over time, will give you better posture. Also, "constant-centering" myself on the ball reminds me not to bend forward my shoulders or slouch.

2. My old office chair has a pneumatic height adjustment at 19"-20" This ball seat height (with the doughnut-shape base) is about 23" tall; sitting down on it, at my weight, brings it down to about 18"--of course, it will depend on your monitor/keyboard setup and on how much air you put in the ball. I raised the table height 3" higher and purchased an adjustable keyboard/mouse extension tray. I make the ball as firm as possible.

3. The back support is detachable (which I've done) and allows you to center yourself over it more. Don't lean on the back support for too long, or you may hurt your lower back.

4. You will experience some back pain for a few days, some shoulder pain if you're use to having an armrest, and neck pain if you had a headrest. Keeping my chest open and head up help my abs stay taut.

Minus half-star for the rolling wheels because they sometimes trip me over when I get up and stand. So, I spread my feet and use my leg muscles to stand upright. I recommend it still because it motivates me to get up and walk around. It's not healthy to allow the legs be pooled with blood (which causes veining) over two-three hours at a time. This item is at a decent price range, offered here on Amazon. Hope this helps!
3333 comments| 1,260 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 31, 2007
I purchased this chair because I have lower back pain. I've had it now for about 6 months and find that at the end of the day my back feels much better. I don't use the ball for working out, I only use it as an office chair.

It definitely takes a little while to get used to it. The first few days, my back was sore and I almost went back to my old chair. It was sore, but it didn't hurt. After about a week, I stopped noticing my back being sore. I'm pretty sure it is because my back had to build up the muscles to support my body. Which is exactly what I was hoping it would do. The chair doesn't allow you to lean on the back of a normal office type chair, therefore forcing you to use your back muscles.

It doesn't force you to have perfect posture, but without the ability to lean on a backrest, it reminds me throughout the day to sit up right. After a couple of months, I do it naturally now.

I realized how much the chair has helped with my back pain last week. One of my co-workers asked to try the chair out for a couple of days. My back hurt at the end of the day significantly more than it has in months. Pretty conclusive proof that this works for me.

Be warned, you'll get a lot of funny looks when people first see it. Even the UPS guy laughed at me while delivering it. I don't care! It makes me feel better.

The bottom line: Be prepared for a week or two of time to get used to it and build up the back muscles. I think afterward you'll thank yourself.

***UPDATE*** Almost 2 years now since I bought this chair and I still sit on it every day. Have not had lower back pain at the end of the day since a few weeks after I bought it. Still 5 stars for me!
66 comments| 613 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 19, 2006
The chair is surprisingly comfortable. I'm not sure how *much* it helps me with balance or toning, but I do actually feel like I'm using my muscles a little more than usual while sitting all day at the office, so I feel pretty good about it. And it looks really nice, too.

Overall I like the chair a lot, just one real complaint. There is no height adjustment. For me it's not much of an issue because my desk happens to be at around the right height. But this might be a problem for someone else. I suppose you could let some air out of the ball to make it a little lower, but that doesn't strike me as an ideal solution.

I do have one suggestion for anyone buying this chair. There are four wheels that you snap into the proper places onto the bottom of the chair when you're assembling it. Two of the four have locks you can flip down to prevent the wheels from rolling. I have found that with these two wheels attached on the front side of the chair, my feet keep accidentally hitting the locks and activating them so that it's difficult to roll the chair. I'd suggest putting these locks on the back side of the chair unless you plan to leave the locks activated most of the time.
77 comments| 498 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 5, 2015
I actually loved this chair when I got it. It seemed to be everything that was promised. I bought the cover to go with it, so it looked good with my other furniture too. Literally the day after Amazon's 30-day return policy expired, however, the part of the base where the front right caster is inserted, collapsed. Caved in on itself. The heaviest person who sat on it was not even close to 300 pounds specified as the upper limit, so it wasn't a matter of exceeding that. I looked at their website, I dug around on Amazon, I asked the question on the "Questions" section here, looked at the box and instructions and could find NO stated warranty period. That means I paid a lot of money for an exercise ball. My only recourse is to warn others. Sometimes, you don't get what you paid for.
review image review image
1515 comments| 338 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 3, 2005
I used one of these at my last job. This is a wonderful chair. The first time that I sat on it I fell off, but then once I learned how to sit on it, it was amazing. It kept my back straight, and kept me sitting upright, and I didn't feel so sleepy after 8 hours at the computer. I love this chair. It it worth the price.
0Comment| 401 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 19, 2014
Chair shipped with too small of a ball. Replacement chair same issue. I'm cutting my loses and moving on. If you look at the reviews this has been happening since 2011. Avoid!!!!!!!!
review image
99 comments| 180 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 7, 2015
I have two co-workers who also ordered this chair. Theirs appear to work correctly but my ball seems to be a different thickness and much bigger than theirs. This causes a problem because my ball does not sit down into the chair and then it rolls out of the chair and shoots the chair out from under me sometimes. This has caused some embarrassment and noise and has come very close to causing personal injury :) It also causes me to sit up higher, straining my neck to look down at my monitor. It's not a deal breaker but I feel cheated a bit :(
review image review image review image
11 comment| 73 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 12, 2012
I just put my chair together and the ball is significantly smaller than the one pictured on the site. It doesn't touch the backrest or the front constraint and it is about 5 inches shorter than the one pictured. I feel like I am sitting on the ground and the ball is not held in place very easily. A lady in my office has the exact same chair and same brand but her ball is a lot bigger than the one I received. I would still love to find a ball chair but am at a loss of where to look, this is the second one I have ordered and received with a ball that is too small. I took pictures of my chair and did a side by side comparison with the one featured on the site and would love to upload it but am unable to.
review image
55 comments| 138 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 3, 2015
I ordered this ball chair plus two others (same brand) and got three completely different sized balls . . . so far. I have inflated all three and will wait the suggested 48 or so hours to see if they "stretch" to a usable size. At this point, only one out of the three appears that it will be large enough to actually use as a chair. This ocean-colored one (on the right in the pictures) is by far the smallest, with the purple (on the left) being the largest and looking like the advertised pictures.

Two stars (instead of one) for being very easy to assemble, no missing or bent parts. Time will tell if these will actually work for us or if I'll have to go through the return process . . .
review image review image review image
22 comments| 85 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 28, 2015
Sitting is killing us. Every week that headline is somewhere. This chair is so much more than a punchline on "Portlandia". I have used it for over a year in my office job and I am an active 39 Year old male. Funny looks? sure. But it's not for them it's about my health and lower lumbar strength. For the first few weeks I had a "regular" chair close by, to ease the transition. Now, I wish that I could take my chair with me to client locations.

We slump so easily. I used to "sit" with my chair rolled all the way under the desk leaned back so that my butt and shoulders were the only thing supported. This balance chair forces you to sit up straight and support yourself. It forces you to pop-up out of your seat. It will force you to strengthen your legs, back and shoulders. You will find yourself sitting more upright even when you are not using the chair. Back rests used to be for decoration, not for a handicap.

This chair is not for comfort. It is for you to get better.