5.0 out of 5 stars Great, June 3, 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Galatians (IVP New Testament Commentary Series) (Hardcover)
This book is fearless and readable. It takes on some difficult theological issues without being strident. You come away with an appreciation of Paul's ferver in protecting the early church from the effects of racial and national elitism. There is no hesitation in saying that the law is temporal and that the Spirit is the force for a Christian's moral direction. Christians overcome their sin through faith in what God has accomplished through Christ's death, burial, and resurection.

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful, December 19, 2008
Recently I preached/taught through Galatians and was shocked to find that this commentary was more useful to me than some of the more exegetical and academic tomes.
By this I mean not only was it helpful for preaching and application, but Hansen often provided more insight into the context and gave a more theologically reasoned interpretation to this admittedly difficult letter.
I recommend this commentary to the lay person, pastor, and academics.

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing, June 29, 2010
I own a dozen commentaries on Galatians and this one surprised me by its readability and usefulness. It is not very technical. It makes common sense most of the time. It is brief and concise in comparison to some other titles I own, but full of well spoken phrases and exegetical gems. You will be tempted to quote the author. I was pleasantly surprised by depth despite the size. It is not about what doctrines the author affirms; it is about how he approaches the text and what he highlights as major issues, perhaps even useful in our day and not just in Anatolia region. I actually do not agree with quite a few points the author makes, but that is personal, not business to borrow the cliché from the Godfather movies. I still feel that most pastors and serious Bible students will find it refreshing and udefull.

4.0 out of 5 stars succint but missing Paul's nuance, June 13, 2012
Jeff E. Martin (northern part, ny United States) - See all my reviews
It is a great achievement to be so succinct with such a dense letter such as Galatians, and for this Hansen should be commended.

But in the main point that Paul has against the readers Hansen misses. Paul has no issue with a Jew being a Jew, that is performing circumcision, Sabbath keeping, and having food laws. Paul had no problem circumcising Timothy and shaving his head to win over Jews. If it was such a specific issue he should have ever refused to do such a thing to avoid confusion.

What Paul is doing however is attacking the Law itself, not only on those who rely on the Law. The law states that unless one obeys it one is cursed. The Law is a power that curses. And that becomes a problem not because one cannot obey the Law so much, but because it decieves one into thinking that one can find life through doing the commands. Lev 18:5 is a false promise which Romans 7:10 admits to.

It is true though that no one can obey the law because of our corrupted flesh. In fact our corrupted flesh makes it impossible to ever obey the law that forbids coveting. Of course what appears to people that see you from the outside it appears that you are obeying the law, but in your mind one cannot.

For sin, like the snake in the garden, used the command not to eat of the fruit, and decieved us into thinking how oppressive the law really is to us when it was just trying to protect us. But in the garden, even grace abounded in that they depended on the tree of life to sustain them which God watered. They really were trusting but the snake turned it into a contest of wills and put all the focus on the law not on the things that were sustaining them.

This is what makes focusing on Law so problematic, it always ends up reminding us of the wrong we are doing where as trust reminds us directly of God's provision, and Leviticus 18:5 does not help clear things up just muddies things

Galatians (IVP New Testament Commentary Series)
Galatians (IVP New Testament Commentary Series) by G. Walter Hansen (Hardcover - March 24, 1994)
Used & New from: $1.52