Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Voyage Cyber Monday Sweepstakes in Prime Music Shop Now HTL

Hand Orientation: RightChange

on August 8, 2011
I would probably give the KingTuk 5 stars if I was trying to conceal a smaller pistol, like LCP size. I bought this for my XDm 3.8 Service, definitely a full size pistol.

The holster by itself: great quality fit and finish, nice leather, kydex fits my gun perfectly. The kydex cover leaves a small portion of the trigger guard, behind the trigger, exposed; but this doesn't bother me at all. If you insist on your holster covering the entire trigger guard, check with Galco about your model before ordering. Because of the shape and location of the clips, it is very difficult to put the holster on - you can't just slide it inside your waistband and clip it in. You have to either struggle with it behind your back for a few minutes, or do what I do and put your belt through your pants, then clip the holster on BEFORE pulling up your pants and tightening your belt. The height the holster hangs off the clips is adjustable, but only the last (highest) setting works - on all other settings, the mouth of the holster is below the waist of your pants, making reholstering a chore, and impossible to do fast. No adjustment for cant.

This part only applies to using the KingTuk with a full size gun: It is as comfortable as an IWB concealment holster and full size gun can be - which isn't saying too much. I have been wearing it at the 4:30 position, but I could totally see buying a lefty model and using it for small of back carry. At the 4:30 position, the grip prints somewhat. More cant would probably cure this, but cant is not adjustable. I may try adjusting the back clips to higher screw holes (so the front rides lower = more cant) to fix this. My pants bulge out unnaturally at the kydex sheath, if you look closely, you can tell have a gun in my waistband, even when tucked.

If you have to IWB concealed carry a full sized gun, your options are limited, and most are very uncomfortable. This is the best of your (bad) choices. People say the Crossbreed Supertuck is better, but they appear to be 95% identical. How could te CBST be so much better?

Bottom line - you'll probably spend $500 on different concealment holsters trying to find something to conceal your full size gun confortably, and never be happy with the results, so why not just get a $500 subcompact gun and a kingtuk to start with?
If you have to conceal a full sized gun IWB, this is your best bet (CBST excepting, haven't owned one yet - the 8 week wait turned me off!)
on January 9, 2013
Hello Amazon customers,

I wear this holster all day, every day. I have done so for 18 months. That speaks to the comfort level as being outstanding. We can assume that. Lets talk about the longevity.

1) The first thing to fail was a screw. It backed out and was lost, but the nut remained. The screw was easily replace and I recommend lock tight as soon as you settle on your cant preference.

2) Next to falter was one of the clips. It got hung up while I fit through a tight space and it bent a little bit. After this accident, the clip frequently gets hung on shirts and other obstacles in my environment. This spring steel is very difficult to bend back to original shape. Although only slightly deformed, it needs to be replaced.

3) My Kydex is now beginning to fail. Located at the "mouth" of the holster, I have a chip with cracks by the trigger guard and cracks at both corners of the slide. These stress cracks are a result of normal use of the holster and not some isolated incident or misuse. These cracks are expected to grow, ultimately rendering the holster useless.

I have used this holster for approximately 18 months and I would estimate that my gun has been holstered 1600 - 2500 times. The leather is in fantastic shape and is more than adequate. The ease of draw is fantastic as is conceal ability.

The kydex is thin and lacking for long term durability. Thick kydex would result in a thicker envelope. This is a compromise in quality that you will have to evaluate for yourself.

I have not contacted Galco about repairs to this holster. I read the FAQ on their website and they DO NOT warranty their products. The have a repair program at the users expense. I will contact them to see what it costs to replace the kydex and clip.

FYI Minotaur sells spare bodies on their holsters and CrossBreed has a lifetime warranty on ALL their products.

In conclusion, I have enjoyed this holster for it usable life expectancy of 2 years. I plan to contact Galco about repairing it. I purchased the holster for its features and good value for the money. I will probably replace it with a CrossBreed. While the CrossBreed has a higher initial price point, I expect that it will prove a better value in the long run with the lifetime guarantee.

If you KNOW you will keep your gun for more than two years, you would be better served, financially, with a CrossBreed Super Tuck.

Good luck with your decision,
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 27, 2011
great quality and great price! finally found a conceal and carry holster that works with my springfield xd 3" sub-compact it! wear it and drive with it on..
on December 18, 2011
I ordered this for my Springfield XD sub compact so I could get it almost right away. I thought the quality was good but it is smaller than the Crossbreed super tuck I used before. At first the holster is very very tight. It took some time to get it broken in some. It will work great for concealed carry though.
on January 20, 2012
This is my second purchase of the King Tuck holster. The first one was for a 1911 Commander and this one was for the Springfield XDM 3.8 .45 ACP. Both are high quality, feel great when worn and distribute the weight of a large weapon well.

I would have given the product five stars except for a minor quality control issue. Both of the holsters were ordered in the Black finish. This finish is in the form of an overlay of what appears to be cowhide over the thicker brown leather. Recently, Galco changed their manufacturing process to remove the sewn edging around the entire permieter of the holster in order to improve comfort when worn. Unfortunately, with the 1911 hoslter, the two layers seperated at the top after three days of use. To Galco's credit, they paid for the shipping and repair and returned the holster quickly. Since the repair, the holster has held up great. I would have simply assumed that this was a one-off issue but the XDM holster appears to be suffering a bit of wear in the same location after only one use. I will keep an eye on it and, of course, have Galco fix the issue if it actually separates. I hope that they correct the QC issue at the source. These are great holsters.
on July 4, 2012
It takes up a bit of real estate inside your pants but for that it gives you complete concealment. With or without a jacket this makes your buddy invisible. You really don't even notice the two hooks that sit atop your belt to keep the holster steady. Seems to be built from really quality materials and it's a good value.
on December 8, 2011
Just got my ccw last month (finally WI). I have been carrying as much as possible, and this holster is great. I carry it in the 4 o'clock position. Most of the time I dont even notice it is there. I am carrying a xd 9sc.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 13, 2011
If you are looking at the crossbreed super tuck, this is definitely a choice worth checking out. I've worn it all day and it has lived up to it's promise, and then some. With a pair of jeans and regular fitting T-shirt no one even looked twice at my hip area. I even took a nap with this on, and slept like a baby. It still has a little bit of break in time to feel perfectly comfortable, but all gunleathers do, even the extremely pricey ones. I feel like I can cartwheel, run, climb, rappel or roll on the ground with this holster and gun (Springfield XDm9 compact) and never feel as if I would lose either. The only reason I give 4 out of 5 stars is that I wish canting options were a little more than nothing, which is what the kingtuk offers. But overall, great product for about half of what the supertuck would run you.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 11, 2011
All in all Ive been happy with it. It took a little time and moving it around on my belt to feel comfortable while sitting. Its the first Concealment holster I've used so I was worried how comfortable it would be. After the first day it wasn't really that noticeable.
on August 10, 2013
Upon openning the package I was impressed with the quality of workmanship. The stiching and leather looked to be of great quality. The reason I did not give this 5 stars was because of the choice of height settings for the holster. I could be wrong on my opinion, but here's what I found. It comes with the clips set for the highest position. At this setting the top of the kydec is just about even with the top of my pants and belt. For me any other possition placed the kydec shell below my pants, which resulted in making it hard to reholster the gun. The pants actually roled slightly over the top edge of the kydec shell. Now with different styles and different guns this may change. I bought the right handed KT440B for a Springfield XDM 3.8 compact .40S&W. Extemely comfortable to wear, good retention and stays in place no matter where I put it. Would I buy it again knowing what I know now? You better believe it! Really like this holster.