4.0 out of 5 stars If you enjoyed the first book, you should read this
Published on December 12, 2011 by Cupcake120

3.0 out of 5 stars No depth and too short
Published on September 4, 2011 by Anna

3.0 out of 5 stars No depth and too short, September 4, 2011
This review is from: Gamble on Engagement (McMaster the Disaster Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed the first book so much I didn't pause to buy the second one, (at 2.99 no less) and am disappointed to say the least. I should have looked at it's length before purchasing as that would of told me that it didn't have any depth but was just the continuation of her story. Jake was not present in this book at all with the exception of a few phone calls, oh and when he comes over to actually see her it left me wanting just a bit more to the story, and I don't mean a drawn out, intimate scene either. The story was just very superficial.

All in all I feel this book was completed according to a deadline which resulted in it having zero depth. Usually when an author sells a book for .99 it's to introduce themselves and if the reader likes the book, they will be more compelled to buy the others regardless of cost...I was sorely mistaken, actually, I would flip the prices for book one and two.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as charming as the first, but okay enough, October 1, 2011
J S (Chicago, IL) - See all my reviews
The book is just okay. Something about this sequel was much less satisfying than the first one. The first one got off to a rocky start - *everyone* in Josie's life was hounding her about entering the lottery? - but picked up steam after Josie was already in it. This one, however, is mired in silliness the entire time, from the annoying seat mate to the completely expected ending. The problem is Josie, I think. Josie shone in the first book only in her interactions with Matt and Jake, and they aren't here enough to make it enjoyable to spend time with her. The celebrity client is hardly present enough to take their place (and the client is no Jake, or Matt). In the first one, I was rooting for Josie, who seemed like a nice enough girl. In this one, she strikes me as much less mature and incredibly lazy. (Did she really think this was a free trip to Europe and that she wasn't going to have to actually do the job she was being paid to do?)

And then there's this out-of-place story that crops up on Josie's ill-fated trip to Spain and doesn't go anywhere. I imagine it'll come back in the third book. At least, I hope it does, otherwise, it didn't need to be there at all.

At some point in the story, I realized Josie felt like a slightly more likable version of Becky Bloomwood from the Shopaholic series. Even with Josie being a more palatable heroine than Becky, the shenanigans in Gamble on Engagement wore me out a lot faster. I made it to the third Shopaholic book before giving up, but I'll be stopping here with Josie.

4.0 out of 5 stars If you enjoyed the first book, you should read this, December 12, 2011
First let me start by saying I love books that continue on, so I was very happy to find this one. I really enjoyed bridesmaid lotto and was so excited to see what else would happen after the wedding. This book was enjoyable and a really easy read. I finished it in 2 nights, I can't wait until the 3rd book comes out ( btw, does anyone know when that will be?).... anyway, if you read the first one PICK this one up!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good continuation, September 26, 2011
I liked this book and thought it was a very good continuation on her first with these characters. It was very interesting and funny in just the right places. Not a good idea to jump in with this book as you may be confused a bit.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, light chick lit read., November 7, 2013
Gamble is the continuation of Josie's story post bridesmaid lotto. She heads off to London to start ghost writing a biography for someone famous, and naturally she gets herself into some tricky situations. While in London, her separation from Jake starts to put doubts in her mind about their relationship, and the constant mess with paparazzi just complicates things further.

This story was cute and funny, just like the first. I love Josie and love being inside her head because she has thoughts that are just like mine. She is dorky and awkward and clumsy, and I love it. I do wish there had been more Jake in the story because I like him, but I understand that the point of this book was to challenge the relationship.

I wish the book had been longer, but I enjoyed it for what it was. If you are looking for a light chick lit read, then this is a good choice.

2.0 out of 5 stars The klutzy schtick got old...fast, July 26, 2013
Well, the first half of the book was merely one embarrassing episode for Josie after another. Each one being witnessed by someone. Nothing much happened in the plot for the first half of the book.

It was kinda like watching a funny vid where someone comically slips and falls. It's funny, but watching one fall after another after another gets tedious fast.

The lead character Josie seems to have lost a few IQ points since the first book. While she wasn't a complete ditz, she was darned close. I didn't find that very likeable.

By the time I got to the middle of the book with no real plot movement, I got bored and just skipped to read the happy ending.

After the first book (which I liked), I thought I'd be reading all three. After this second book, I think I'll pass on the third one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another hit!, June 6, 2013
This time, Josie is in another fine mess! Her nickname isn't McMaster the Disaster for nothing! The Disaster Diary went viral due to her bribed roommate and now she is jobless and is at loose ends. Due to the "embarrassment" her mother feels from The Disaster Diary going public, Josie's dream vacation to Europe she was promised is cancelled. Impetuously, she accepts a mysterious writing job to ghostwrite an autobiography, person unknown in England! As usual, disaster starts right away! A chatterbox named Missy ends up sitting next to her, recognizes her immediately and cannot made a move without her noticing! Later as usual, Josie's luck as bad as it is, bites her in the behind yet again!
As fir her subject of the autobiography....you are going to have to read the book and find out!

2.0 out of 5 stars Blah!, February 23, 2013
Honestly for anyone interested in the series, I'd suggest you just skip this book all together. It was a complete waste of money seeing as I skipped through most of it. Between how boring this installment was and how gullible Josie continued to be throughout it took me nearly 3 weeks to force myself to read the darn thing. I'm sorry to be so harsh but I like to get sucked into a book, see everything through the characters eyes. And all I could think about in this one was, 'When will something exciting happen?'
Unfortunately I am not the type to give up on a series, I need to see it through and since the third installment has such high reviews I'll probably look into it. However I would still recommend that you not waste your money.
Sorry Rachel, just didn't care for it.

4.0 out of 5 stars To gamble on life and come out blooming like a rose... perfection!!, March 22, 2013
Another hit for Josie! If you read the first book, to you will love this book too. To get to be a bridesmaid and in the process get a gorgeous boyfriend is a wonderful present. Then to travel the world, working your dream job, having the time of your life site seeing while your rich boyfriend is missing you back home is heart throbbing. The best gift if all is coming home and having the rich boyfriend surprising you! Read the book to find out the best homecoming ever:) !!
Lisa

4.0 out of 5 stars A decent follow up, November 13, 2011
I enjoy this second book, just not as much as the first. I still love Josie as a character, although she did irritate me a bit this time around. I wasn't crazy about Leo, nor did I really understand what he or his assistant's purpose to the story was. She should have just stayed in the US and had more of Jake in the story! I am still looking forward to the third book and the rest of their love story (as implausible as it is!).