Game Party - Nintendo Wii
Price:$12.65 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on November 30, 2007
Revising my review after a week of owning the game. Here's a rundown of each of the games:

Darts - once you get the hang of it, which doesn't really take that long, it's fun. Especially nice is the fact that up to four players can compete in this game at once. Custom darts/boards are unlockable.

Hoop Shoot - this can get tiring, but is fun for quick competitions between friends. Getting the ball to stay straight can be a little bit of a challenge at times.

Skill Ball - aka Skee ball - is fun. The controls are pretty much the same as Wii bowling, and the only thing you need to watch out for is throwing too hard. Also, this only has a one player mode, but you can easily just select "play again" at the end and pass the remote to a friend.

Shuffleboard - this is not what you're thinking. This is the tabletop version. Controlling the direction that the puck goes in can be a bit sporadic. Perhaps most frustrating here is that in one player mode, the computer will always, and I mean always, get the second turn, allowing them that last chance to knock your pucks out and score the win. Oh, and you can unlock curling if you get enough tickets.

Air hockey - the controls for this are similar to real air hockey, which means you hold the Wiimote parallel to the floor and actually push it left/right and forward/backward to control your player's hand. It's a little easy to score on yourself until you really get the hang of it, but it's a fun game to play in two player.

Ping cup - aka beer pong - frustrating to no end. The controls seem incredibly sporadic on this, and I still have not been able to clear the table before getting irritated to the point of quitting. If this is the only reason you plan on buying this game, be prepared to spend a lot of time with it before you start drinking, or you're just asking for a fight with your TV.

Trivia - I still haven't actually tried this; I'll update again when I do.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 1, 2007
Verified Purchase
Several of the games are quite fun, and work well with the Wii-mote. We like darts, ski ball and shuffleboard. The motion sensor in the Wii-mote seems to behave as expected for these games. Table hockey is a little harder getting used to, the Wii-mote works well, but we keep bumping the puck into our own goal! The pong cup (beer pong) is really annoying - it takes forever to finish a game. The trivia game is okay. Wish you could use your Mii to play the games; instead it comes with a large number of characters to choose from. For the price, I'd say it is a good value. Wouldn't pay more than twenty for it.
VINE VOICEon December 2, 2007
The only reason I gave it a two was because of the amount of activities. We played it for several hours and not once did it inspire a laugh or any real spontaneous celebration. Skee Ball and Mini Hoops are single player games only, Beer Pong is the most tedious waste of time ever, and Darts is ok, except every shot is followed by an exaggerated crowd reaction and the same Irish song loops endlessly (double arghhh - and I'm Irish!). So that left us with Shuffleboard, which we found most fun (we didn't bother with Air Hockey because we already knew it wouldn't compete with the Wii Play version). Shuffleboard had some catchy music that actually changed during gameplay, and the physics seemed to be good - but again, Billiards in Wii Play has the same general idea and looks 100 times better. If you bought Wii Play to get a second Wiimote you'll never bother with this one most likely. SORRY!!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 1, 2008
Verified Purchase
This is no WiiSport. Not by a long shot. The darts game is annoying due to the limited range of motion used. If you throw the dart too fast it flies off screen. If you move your hand too far, the dart flies off screen. What's the point of having a target if, when you throw something at the target, the game takes it off screen??? There are aiming issues when playing this game on a big-screen too.

The air hockey game is horizontal and not vertical. Yes, they put the table on screen SIDEWAYS -- meaning instead of left/right motion used to defend the goal in most air hockey games, this one requires an up/down motion. The left/right motion, in this game, is a forward/backward. It's an utterly absurd design choice that ruins the game.

The rollerball game doesn't follow the usual control standards used in other games either. To adjust angle of roll, instead of pressing A then left/right arrow, you have to press +/-.

The hoops game was mildly entertaining though again it suffers from a very limited range of movement. The action movement could be more realistic too. Any wrist movement during the shot sends the ball off too high or too low.

The trivia game was mildly entertaining -- though I somehow managed to spin the wheel seven different times and still managed to get the same category, Music. Being asked a question about Brittney Spears ruined it.

The pong/cup/whatever toss game was hopeless.

Didn't try shuffleboard.

I'm trading this one ASAP.
Verified Purchase
*Warning* I'm over 21 and I don't condone anyone under the legal drinking age of 21 to play this game in the manner below. 21 means 21. Drink Responsibly.

It's clear that Midway targeted the college demographic with this game. Ping Cup confirms that.

I myself have graduated from college but I still live with roommates I went to college with. This past week I was looking for a really cheap game for the Wii that I could buy my Nephew and I spotted this game. When I read the game modes I immediately became intrigued and decided to go ahead and buy 2, one for me and my nephew for Christmas. And I'm glad I bought the game.

My roommates and I like to drink before we go out on the weekends. We also like to play drinking games with Wii Sports(Bowling) and we have an absolute blast. Wii Bowling is the only game we like to drink to unfortunately. That's where Game Party comes to the rescue.

1. Ping Cup- Literally "Beer Pong" without the beer. Me and a roommate played our fist game and we finished it in 20 minutes. The mechanics are a bit off and were tough to get used to for a whole 10 minutes and then we started making cups left and right. This is the most fun game in my opinion and is literally a clone of Beer Pong with all the rules included. The game even re-positions the cups after you make about 5 in(just like real Beer Pong). The bounce rule is also in effect where 2 cups are taken away when you make one on a bounce. They nailed this game.

2. Ski-Ball- Wii Sports Bowling dumbed down. It's easy and it's also fun and it too can easily become a drinking game. You can give out seconds for points scored. 170 points= 17 points giving out to other players. You miss the target hole and you drink 5. Believe me, it adds up both ways.

The sad part is these are the only 2 games we've had time to play. But I wanted to share how much fun these 2 games are if you play them the right way. With buddies, beer, and less mess, this game does it's job. I'm almost positive my 6 year old nephew will love it, but obviously not on the same level. Every game type from what I can gather can be turned into a drinking game in some way shape or form. But Ping Cup sold me and it alone was worth the $20. Darts, Hoop Shoot, Table Hocky, Shuffle Board, and Trivia are the other game modes. To me, the games outside o Ski Ball and Ping Cup are an added bonus.

In conclusion, to all you college kids out there who are *21*, buy this game if you have a wii. You only need 1 remote, a couple college buddies or 6, a clean table, and a Friday night. Heck, I'm out of college but it's game like this take me back in time where we played the real thing.
on December 28, 2007
Verified Purchase
The Wii games, like this Game Party, are so fun that the whole family can enjoy. Instead of card game night, add this as a new dimension to your family's enjoyment. It is good clean fun and can be very competitive.
on November 28, 2007
I JUST BOUGHT THIS GAME TODAY AND I REALLY LIKE IT. ALL THE GAMES ARE PRETTY FUN BUT THE AIR HOCKEY TAKES A LITTLE WORK.YOU HAVE TO UNLOCK DIFFERENT STUFF LIKE COLLORS OF THE PUCKS AND BOARDS TO DIFFERENT KINDS OF PEOPLE YOU CAN USE. THE WII REMOTE IS EASY TO USE IN THIS GAME. THE GRAPHICS ARE GOOD AND THE SOUNDS ARE PRETTY GOOD AS WELL.OVER ALL I GIVE IT 4 STARS. I THINK IT IS A STEAL FOR $20
THANKS,FRANK C.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 22, 2007
I bought Game Party about a month ago and still play it quite often. My favorite games in this title are Hoop Shoots, Skill Ball, Darts, and Shuffle Board. The game's graphics are not very good but the presentation is much better. The music is memorable and groovin', while the characters range from tattooed punks to skater chicks. While this game hasn't gotten the best reviews overall, I personally think Midway did a commendable job at capturing the party mood.
on January 7, 2008
Verified Purchase
Purchased this game for the trivia, but ended up having more fun playing darts and basketball hoops with my friends. It took a while to figure out a technique for those games, but once we did, it was nonstop playing! If you're a darts player, then this game should be easy for you. You really need a steady hand and good timing coordination to aim and throw the dart at your intended target area. What's funny is, that same type of throwing works better for the basketball hoops game. Tried to shoot the ball like you normally would when playing basketball, but all the throws would go off to an angle. Couldn't figure out why that was happening when I was standing directly in front of the basket and throwing "straight". As a joke, my friend suggested throwing the ball like a dart, and when I tried it, the ball actually went in to the basket. Another thing good about the game is the expressions your character makes when you do a bad throw at darts. It's pretty hilarious! My friend enjoyed this game so much that he wants to get his own copy of the game. If you like these types of games, you can't go wrong with this one!
on December 31, 2007
Verified Purchase
This game is far from perfect but when you compare the game to the price it's really not that bad. One thing I really look at is the game quality versus the playability of the game. In most cases you spend $50 on a game you will have beat or get bored with in a matter of days, here though you are spending $20 on a game that can be played multiple times.

These kinds of games are really great for get togethers with friends, my wife and I often invite friends over to hang out and we play a wii game or two and Game Party was perfect. The trivia was quite fun and there's questions that suit everybody, shuffle board is entertaining though a little confusing, however darts is very poor. We tried for awhile to figure out the controls for darts but never got it down, I find this strange because other wii dart games are great such as the mini game on Wario Ware.

Over all though this game is worth the $20 especially if you like to have friends over to play games.

A well deserved 4 out of 5.