5.0 out of 5 stars The X's and O's for the Gridiron of Life
Joe Gibbs has had an incredible professional career in sports - three-time Super Bowl winning head coach of the Washington Redskins and owner of a three-time NASCAR championship team that has nearly 500 employees - but it was never a clear trail to the winner's circle.

Published on July 23, 2009 by Best Of All

2.0 out of 5 stars Underwhelming
I bought and read this based on the reviews and my high opinion of Joe Gibbs. The book however was handed off to too many different people whose stories and opinions I was not looking for, and I didn't find Gibb's stories very insightful.
Published on November 10, 2010 by John D

5.0 out of 5 stars The X's and O's for the Gridiron of Life, July 23, 2009

He has stumbled off the path and needed to double-back a few times due to feeling that he had all the questions and answers to life. Yes, this successful head coach sometimes thought he could outsmart the Head Coach.

"Life to me is a game, and you and I are the players. God is our Head Coach, and no one wants to lose the biggest game of all," writes Gibbs. "In the game of life, our Head Coach loved us enough to send His Son to die for our sins."

Christian faith is the cornerstone to gaining a true understanding to the meaning of life - through the Head Coach (God) and Playbook (the Bible) - and Gibbs utilizes personal accounts that are candid and conversational in tone to set the foundation for tackling a number of issues within the 14 chapters of Game Plan for Life: Your Personal Playbook for Success (2009 hardcover; Tyndale House Publishers).

Gibbs personally commissioned a respected national public opinion research firm to survey men and find out what they are most concerned about and where they'd like to have success in their lives. It revealed 11 areas of prime concern - including health, finances, relationships and overcoming sin - which then allowed him to develop a team of experts to address each topic.

"See, the bottom line is that I have found something special, something that works, something that has given me a sense of peace and purpose and fulfillment. But despite what a few sportswriters and a kind business associate or two have said along the way, I'm about as far from being an intellectual as you can get," Gibbs writes. "I was a P.E. major. You know, physical education: ballroom dancing and handball!

"I'm no scholar. I'm a regular guy who saw his dream come true."

There are 11 unique voices, with Dr. Ken Boa (The Coach: Who Is God?), Ravi Zacharias (Sin and Addiction: How Do I Deal with Sin?), Charles Colson (Salvation: How Do I Get on God's Winning Team?) and Don Meredith (What Does God Say about Marriage and Sex?) delivering particularly strong messages.

The book is truly organic in design and an educational tool that can be utilized and shared with others for many years. "Remember, life is a team sport," Gibbs writes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Read for Men, July 30, 2009
Joe Gibbs - the man behind Joe Gibbs Racing (NASCAR) and two stints as head coach of the Washington Redskins - has released a book with his new "team" of experts.

Game Plan for Life is written for men. But I don't understand why women couldn't have been involved as experts. Maybe it's just his way. (But don't be offended, it's still a great book)

Each chapter is devoted to an area of life men are concerned about. Gibbs asks 11 different people to address each topic after he shares a few pages from his own life.

The topics include:
Sin and Addiction by Ravi Zacharias
Salvation by Chuck Colson
Purpose by Dr Tony Evans
Heaven by Randy Alcorn

As a fan of football and those who profess to be followers of Christ in the national media, I greatly enjoyed reading about the struggles and success of Coach Gibbs and how he became a devoted man of God.

5.0 out of 5 stars better than Tony Dungy's book, August 8, 2009
I have been reading Joe Gibbs book "game plan for life" and wanted to share my thoughts so others will also read this book. I was expecting a book like Tony Dungy's. I really enjoyed his book and was hoping for another good one. As I started reading Gibbs book, I realized that his book is much deeper than Dungy's. Game plan for life goes deeper into topics of Christianity and lets ones know the truth about various topics.

This book is broken up by various authors who share their thoughts on various topics. Gibbs selected various ones who are educated in certain areas to share their thoughts.

Football is mentioned in this book, but it is not the main topic in this book. Gibbs does a good job of introducing different religious topics.

I would recognmend checking this book out at your local bookstore.

2.0 out of 5 stars Underwhelming, November 10, 2010
John D "John" (Wake Forest, NC United States) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Life Changer, October 23, 2009
This is an inspiring book.Joe Gibbs is a great man, and tells us all how God led him to overcome obstacles and become the incredibly successful and happy man he is today. An easy read, and his co-authors are wonderful. All three, Joe Gibbs, God, and this book are winners.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring and uplifting!, October 21, 2009
My husband and I are reading this along with the members of our Sunday school class. We cover a chapter each week, so we're only about 1/3 of the way through it so far, but we and everyone in the class (men and women) are enjoying it a great deal! Coach Gibbs has gathered some great people to help him address topics everything from addiction to salvation and MORE! This is an easy and inspiring read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Especially recommended for spirituality collections, September 18, 2009
Successful coach Joe Gibbs has always been driven to reach for the top - of two elite competitive professions in his own lifetime: Super Bowl and NASCAR racing. Here he shares the basic ideas that have led him to success, offering a Bible-based discussion of eleven issues a national survey identified as the most important facing men today. From mastering finances and succeeding in relationships to understanding God and sin, different contributors work with Joe Gibbs for maximum impact in a title especially recommended for spirituality collections.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring., September 12, 2009
Nice to know about his positive Biblicaly founded leadership to influence young people for more than just a game but for life.

5.0 out of 5 stars My New Game Plan, September 5, 2009
James P. Rivera (Frederickburg, Va.) - See all my reviews
If you are familiar with Joe Gibbs then you know he is a man of integrity and great insight. I find this book to be a must read for ANY man who is struggling and searching for thagt one thing that will turn his life around. If you a new believer in Christ then Men you have to read this book. On a scale from 1-10 I give it a 10.

5.0 out of 5 stars Game Plan for Life, August 28, 2009
Joe Gibbs knows how to surround himself with the right people. This book is an easy read and has the basics on how life should be lived. Granted these individuals are very successful in their lives but we really all can be successful no matter what we do if we have the right values and follow the Game Plan. Enjoy.

Game Plan for Life: Your Personal Playbook for Success
Game Plan for Life: Your Personal Playbook for Success by Joe Gibbs (Paperback - January 24, 2011)
$14.99 $13.20