Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on March 13, 2012
A very good starter book to get to grips with the basics of game theory. Everything is well explained and I was able to breeze through it and start analysing situations for myself.

It doesn't have all the answers, but what it does is give you a firm grounding on the workings of game theory. Other explanations on the same subjects in other books that I've read don't even compare. This really was brilliantly explained.
on April 4, 2012
I'd always wanted a primer for game theory and leapt on this with its low price. I found this book an excellent introduction, easy to understand, no-nonsense, dry in a good way. I want to learn more, and may go on to buy the longer version, but I'm not sure. My concern is that some proofreading really should have been done, not for mere persnicketiness but because errors occur in the worst places if you're trying to follow the logic. In the introduction to mixed strategies, the very first calculation contains a typo (4/5 instead of 1/5, if I recall correctly), which stymied me until I verified, checking the equations, that the author had set it down wrong in the explanation. Similar if less drastic typos occur later, with player 1 named instead of player 2 and a few more with confusing consequences. The author ought to consider rechecking the numbers in the later sections of the book.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon January 10, 2015
I knew a little bit about Game Theory, and found it very interesting so I wanted to learn more. The author starts with the basics and then goes on to explain how Game Theory applies, and then delves into some of the more complicated rules. If you're not familiar with this Theory, the core scenario is the "prisoner's dilemma," where two people who robbed a store together are both in the police station, being separately interviewed. The question is: Do you confess first? Do you hold out on the hope that your co-thief won't confess, knowing that if he confesses first, they'll throw the book at you? Basically, the Theory is about strategizing how to act, based on calculations of how another person might act.

This book was terrific. The writing was clear and very easy to understand, which I appreciated because I was not familiar with all of the terminology. The author uses charts to help visualize things, and he also used real life examples of situations and world events that illustrated the principles. Seeing the actual application of the principles in a variety of contexts was great.

This book doesn't take too long to read -- it's not incredibly long, and the writing is very accessible. Still, I'm sure that I will come back to this book in the future as a kind of reference.

OVERALL: I definitely recommend this book to someone who wants to learn more about game theory, which is a really cool way of analyzing decisions.
on September 27, 2013
As a Math student I found interesting this book, because it is an elective course I might take very soon, so I started to read it. Though Game Theory is a complex subject, this book takes you by the hand and and guides you through this fascinating path of the Mathematics, although it be just the basis.
on April 24, 2012
Tried to read this on the Kindle, as I am a great Kindle fan, but found the with the diagrams and having to go back and forth to them it was not really that easy. Might get the hard copy one day, as the book actually looked quite good.
on August 7, 2013
This book provides a solid introduction to game theory, outlining basic games and the tools required to solve them. Spaniel's explanations are clear and concise. He avoids over explaining any concept which makes for a rather quick read. He also makes a point of clarifying Game Theory's fallibility as a tool for exploring human behavior and cautions readers to be ever vigilant for those shortcomings. Any person new to game theory will leave this book with a clear understanding of what to expect from further study in the field.
on August 12, 2015
I liked this introductory book. It is easy to read and follow the examples on Kindle. He uses a simple format to diagram all the examples so moving from one to the next was straightforward. I found it best for me to follow along in Excel and compute the identical results to be sure I understood how it was done. All in all a good introduction but if you are trying to solve for the probabilities associated with a 3 by 3 matrix that can't be reduced then you need more information than this book provides. I actually bought this book due to clumsy thumbs on my one click button and intended to by the next more involved edition in the first place. So if you really intend to solve a problem and want more than an introduction skip this one and go to the next book. All the material in this book appears to be repeated in the next one.
on May 28, 2012
An easy-to-follow explanation of the basic arguments and logics behind game theory. A must for any novice. Be aware, however, that it is not necessarily easy bedtime reading and you must put on your thinking cap to extract the most value out of the book.
on February 27, 2013
The book is very poorly structured. It has almost no actual description of what Game Theory is, it just jumps into formulas and situations. I stopped reading it, and instead switched over to another ebook "The Game Theory"
on February 10, 2013
Provides a good introduction to the topic. Having known almost nothing before reading this book, I feel that I understood the basic concepts. A lot of examples are explained in detail to elucidate the theory which is very nice and helpful for a non-expert.
Recommended if you are interested in the topic and like hands on examples.