A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire book 1)
Used & New from: $326.13
Game of Thrones - Each Book follow Each TV Season? Would any of you know if each of the Games of Thrones Books follow each HBO series season? So, if I were to start reading Book 3 of the series, would it pickup where tonight's season's finale leaves off? Any info. would be appreciated. Thanks. :)
asked by Kathy W. on June 3, 2012
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 answers
A
I do know for sure that book one of the series follows season one, appropriately both titled "A Game of Thrones." From what I gather about the second season so far (which I'm halfway through watching) it follows the second book, titled "A Clash of Kings," (and predictably there is a clash of five possible kings throughout the season, and book). However, to answer your question I would not necessarily start on book three if you're thinking of getting a jump on the storyline. I haven't read far into the book series, but what I've read so far the books differ slightly but significantly from the TV series in a few ways.
(Trust me, try reading the books from the beginning and you'll enjoy them way more, and especially appreciate the TV series more as well :)
Hope this helped, and from what I've heard the third book (A Storm of Swords) will be divided among two seasons, so there may be more time to read the series--which I probably need to do!
Evyan G. answered on June 5, 2012
Comment | 7 of 7 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Season 2 was mostly A Clash of Kings but there was some A Storm of Swords (book 3) in there too. For example, there are some characters that are "off screen", per say, in Clash of Kings and we catch up with them in book 3. Chronologically speaking, this stuff happened during A Clash of Kings so that's when we see it in the show. There is a new POV character in book 3 who was also around in Game of Thrones (book 1), so in his/her inner thoughts we get some flashbacks to things that happened during book 1's timeframe. We actually saw that scene in season 1 of Game of Thrones.

The producers'/writers' stance is that they're adopting the entire Song of Ice and Fire series and not necessarily a book per season. Next season will be mostly book 3 but they have already gone on record saying that they'll be splitting it into 2 seasons. Since there are so many great story lines in the very large A Storm of Swords, this is a great decision. But, for all we know some of books 4 and 5 could creep into season 3 as well! I was trying the whole book per season approach but once I started A Storm of Swords, I just couldn't stop. Almost done 4 now and gonna go right to 5. I get so much more from certain scenes in the show now having read ahead. But everyone has a different preference on how they like to view the show! Enjoy the series whatever you decide to do!

(oh yeah, and definitely agree with Evyan's advice. The story is diverging enough in season 2 that it makes sense to read books 1 and 2 as well. The end result, plotwise, seems to be heading in the same direction in all of the storylines, but you might be confused if you just jumped into book 3 after watching seasons 1 and 2.)
Mike208 answered on June 7, 2012
Comment | 3 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Thanks EvyanG. I am 1/2 way through Book 1 so, I guess I will continue through and try to get to Book 3 before the 3rd season of Game of Thrones is aired in 2013. Thanks again!
Kathy W. answered on June 5, 2012
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Thanks for all the great info. Mike. I think I will continue to read all the books.
Kathy W. answered on June 11, 2012
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   Next ›

See all questions about this product