on April 11, 2012
I am a big fan of the books and the previous graphic novels (Hedge Knight, Hedge Knight II), so I was very excited to hear about about this effort.

What I like about it:
They are going through the books, chapter by chapter, in a way that the TV series does not. Fans of the books will enjoy how closely the graphic novel follows Martin's wonderful books. Moreover, it is clear that the creative team behind this graphic novel series is trying to be faithful to the look and feel of the books. The rendering of the Iron Throne is quite good.

What I don't like:
I don't care for the artist. His characters look alike and it is sometimes difficult to tell who is who. It looks like he drew quite a bit of this in quick order...as the artwork is not polished and his characters to not maintain a consistent look. Again, as a fan of the earlier graphic novels, I was expecting a level of artwork that exceeds what can be found here. Mike S. Miller did some of the cover art for this graphic novel series, but he wasn't chosen as the primary artist. G.R.R. Martin writes an intro for this graphic novel and basically says that they went with a cheaper artist. Sad. Miller had a good feel for Westeros and it is his artwork that I often think of when I read the books. Here's hoping they spend the extra coin to get Miller for the rest of the series.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 30, 2012
First off, anyone purchasing this graphic novel should know that this is not an adaptation of the television show Game of Thrones. It is instead an adaptation of the novel A Game of Thrones (which the show is based on). This may seem like a minor detail, but it is an original adaptation, and thus characters will look as they are described in the book, not like how they do on the show.

Obviously this is not meant to detract anyone from purchasing this collection. It is an awesome adaptation in its own right, and if you haven't read the books (you should, by the way, as they are excellent) this graphic novel will do a great job of introducing you to the writing of George R.R. Martin, who wrote the books and will also be writing one episode per season of the show.

The fact that this isn't a direct adaptation of the show actually makes it that much more valuable, because you'll get to see a lot of the little scenes from the books that didn't make the final cut in the show, and also be introduced to plenty of side characters who were either removed completely for the show (for obvious reasons...you can't have a show with hundreds of characters) or marginalized.

The artwork looks very good and the writing is uniformly excellent (which is to be expected). I highly recommend this for anyone who is a fan of the book series (A Song of Ice and Fire) or the show on HBO (Game of Thrones).
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 28, 2012
Being a diehard Game of Thrones fan, I had to get this. Just to let you know, this is the first in the series of the GoT graphic novels, so it only covers the first book up to a certain point. Without being too spoiler-ish, it ends with Dany trying her tactics of womanly love, if you know what I'm referring to. The book is pretty neat, I have never really read a graphic novel before, so this was a whole new experience.

The good part is that it stays very true to the book, that's why it has to be broken up into several volumes. The graphics and characters themselves? Well, they are a little funny looking. Some of them look nothing like the book describes, or are way uglier, and many of the characters look alike. I think the artists could have spent a little more time on accurate looking characters. FYI, there is also a lot of nudity, if you're into or not into that sort of thing.

The end of the book has a chunk dedicated to the making of the book. Kind of neat to read about, and I like "book extras." Also, it says at the end that Volume 2 is scheduled to be released in December 2012, so there is quite a wait!

Anyway, pretty good graphic novel. I would of preferred Mike S. Miller's art, but oh well. Ever trying to get your friends to read the series, but they won't, but they love comic books/graphic novels? Maybe you can draw them in with this. Interesting!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 2, 2012
I have read every book in this wonderful series, and was very excited when the graphic novel came out, right up until I read it. The very first thing I noticed were the misspelled words! At first it was slightly amusing, but quickly became annoying, and very obvious that they not have competent editors. I did not care for the artwork and felt it detracted from the story. The storyline was consistent with the book, but different interpretations of various incidents from the book detracted the power of the story. I will read the next issue, but not be reading the issue after that unless serious changes are made.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 30, 2014
I bought this for Kindle, to see what it would be like reading a graphic novel on an iPad.

The way it is done here, just doesn't work.

In full page view the text is too small to read. Tapping on the individual illustration panels to englarge the panel makes it readable, but rather than be able to swipe from panel to panel, you have to click back to full page view, and then tap on the next panel to bring it up in size so you can read it.

A clunky, unworkable experience that meant I gave up after about 15 minutes.

Seriously, all it would take is the ability to swipe from panel to panel, left to right, back and forwards, with each panel enlarged to fill the iPad screen, to make this format work!

Instead the creators seem to have been wedded to the idea that the full page view should be the default, and that readers would only in exceptional circumstances want to enlarge a panel.

Fine in theory, except the full page view is illegible.

Grrrrr.
on February 13, 2014
First a qualification - I have never watched the HBO series, but I am about 3/4 of the way through the CD book and am thoroughly enjoying it during my commute.

The novel covers events roughly through the 1st half of the book - maybe not even.

I read some of the reviews and particularly noted some of the criticisms about the artwork. I have to say that yes - in some places the characters look a bit wooden, especially when expressing strong emotions. I would say overall the sketches of people are a little more extreme than I would have pictured them in the minds eye, but the backgrounds and overall imagery is stunning, so this didn't seriously detract from my enjoyment of this graphic novel, which I absorbed in a little over 2 hours.

As for the story line, it necessarily does compress the story line a bit, but all the key moments were depicted and I found myself not wanting for anything that was left out. I found it to be a good companion piece to the book.

It should come as little surprise to anyone familiar with the story, but be advised this is pretty solidly and R-Rated depiction of the story. There is a fair amount of nudity and explicit depictions of sex acts in places (characters in these scenes seem curiously well rendered, but I digress...), as well as lots of explicit scenes of violence and bloodshed. If that is not your thing you should probably avoid this entire franchise.

As for me, the book as a whole was definitely good enough to warrant purchasing volume 2.
on May 18, 2015
A Game of Thrones: The Graphic Novel, Volume 1, is the retelling of George R.R. Martin's book in a comic format. The story is the same as the original novel, A Game of Thrones and it does a good job of keeping to the story, while enhancing it visually.

The Plot

The plot line of this graphic novel mirrors the original plot of A Game of Thrones, which is a good thing. The story is already as good as it needs to be and this adaptation does not take a lot of liberties or leave important plot points out. While the story is obviously condensed for space and ease of reading, everything works well and you get a full view of the story while getting to appreciate the graphics.

The Artwork

The artwork of A Game of Thrones: The Graphic Novel is very stylized and slick. It looks great and each character is very differentiated and original. All of the illustrations, which are in full color, fit my mental vision of what the characters looked like. It was lovely to get a good look at what the characters and climates in Martin's world really look like. Each frame is a work of art and can be appreciated on its own as such. The graphic novel as a whole is striking.

The X-Factor

I am a fan of A Song of Fire and Ice, so I really enjoyed this comic. I liked the fact that I already knew the story and the characters and that I was just getting a different, but canonical, view of the story. This would be a good graphic novel for a non-fan to read but, if you're a lover of George R.R. Martin's books, you'll be able to appreciate it even more.

The Verdict

I love this graphic novel and I highly recommend it to anyone who likes their comics to have full color artwork, a striking style, and a lot of movement in the artwork. If you're a fan of the book series or television show, you should check it out all the more!

Visit my blog for this review and many more: http://www.cayt.com
on April 18, 2012
So, I like this comic book in general. The art is good but no remarkable, the faces faded in my eyes, the most seems to be the same in all the characters who shared some features. And about the adaptation, looks like Daniel Abraham extract the spoken lines in the book, copied here and cut the descriptions. That makes the scene's cuts poorly constructed and without any grace. The overall work diminished the original book and erase almost all of the magic in it. I think that's because it was no adaptation at all, just a "copy and paste", unlike the tv series. Every gender needs some changes in order to fit and don't lose what makes "A song of Ice and Fire" special. And I don't count as changes some wacky and rude cuts in the scenes. That's just poorly work.

The thing I like it the most is the cover, even when is just a layer, not printed in the actually cover, a white "beatles" cover that also like. Back on the cover art, it features a draw of Ned Stark made up with a pencil-like, just gray-scale and a red crow shape. He has the eyes close and the head down, somehow reflecting all the burden he is holding above his shoulders. Yes, in one draw. That's what rocks!!! I wish all the comic was make it like this adding vintage colors and using gestures of the characters instead of spoken lines surrounded by white blooms. Here, all I see is every person with the mouth open, the same look in their faces, no expression at all. Yicks. Destroyed all I ever imagined in my mine.

Well, I'm gonna stop because it seems that the comic is terrible and it isn't. Is just that I expected much more. I expected love for GoT. And I think neither Abraham nor Patterson are true fans. Was another contract work they have to finish in time for Tv Series Second season premiere. Better keep looking in Devianart for draws with more heart in it.
on January 8, 2015
The Short:
This was just another way that I could fall in love with this series. There was a lot more backstory and histories than I noticed when I read the actual book that this was adapting. I had a very good time reading this book, and I'm very glad that I did end up picking it up.

The Good:

I really liked how each of the characters were depicted. They were very different from how the TV show characters looked, and they were more true to the descriptions that were given in the original books. I really appreciated how the artist did that.
The authors did a very good job adapting the story, and knowing what to take away without losing the details. The pictures made it so there could be less words, and more of a scenic view of the story that I am already very familiar with.
The pacing of the story was commendable. They could have rushed it and taken out huge passages, or they could have made it so long that EVERYTHING would have been covered, and it would have been like reading the full book all over again. I'm glad that the book was fairly short, and a lot easier to read than the original book.

The Bad:
I didn't really have any true problems with this book, but instead I was kind of iffy on how everything was put together. There were not really any clear transitions, and I would have liked that. It was very easy to follow, but I don't think it would have worked out too well if someone hadn't watched the TV show or read the books.
on January 27, 2013
The story is nice but the only thing that I felt this graphic novel didn't deliver is the graphics. Pay closer attention to it and you'll see that it is pretty poor in some frames. Graphically, its a let down.