5.0 out of 5 stars Valar Morghulis (Spoilers)
Published 6 months ago by Ryjacork

3.0 out of 5 stars Another great season but whereas seasons 1-3 all featured blu-ray
Another great season but whereas seasons 1-3 all featured blu-ray, UV, *AND* DVD in the box, season 4 is only blu-ray and UV. Now I know many won't care about this change but it was incredibly useful to be able to watch the show with friends when many of them don't own blu-ray players of their own. This just seems very cheap of HBO to exclude the DVDs from their blu-ray...
Published 6 months ago by Paul Haffely

5.0 out of 5 stars Valar Morghulis (Spoilers), July 16, 2014
This review is from: Game of Thrones: Season 4 (DVD)
What a fantastic season of Game of Thrones this was! So much happened. Every season has one really big episode that everything builds up to, but this one had several. The acting was top notch, maybe the best since the show started. At first I didn't think Game of Thrones would have a chance at this year's Emmys since they're competing against last year's Breaking Bad finale, but then I saw Tyrion's trial. WOW, the emotion, the betrayal, the hurt, is all palpable. The Mountain vs the Red Viper fight was amazing, and the ending just as shocking as it was in the book. Arya and the Hound absolutely stole the show this season by the way. If they made a separate show just about them wandering the countryside murdering people, I would watch that show. The battle for the Wall was every bit as epic as the Blackwater, and let's not forget Daenerys and her ever more difficult to control dragons.

I also want to give a nod to Jack Gleeson. We all hated Joffery, which is kind of the point. The kid is a terrific actor to bring such a rotten little monster to life and make us all revile him so much. It was great to see the little turd get what he had coming, but in a way I think I'm actually going to miss him. He certainly brought something to the show in the form of a memorable villain.

I simply cannot say enough good things about this season of Game of Thrones.

Not much to say so far about the box set itself, but I LOVE the cover art). There are at least two deleted scenes thus far that we know of, and more of the typical extras. An interview with the man himself, George RR Martin, a look back at the effects that the Red Wedding had on the war in season 3, commentaries of course, a thirty minute documentary about the battle for the Wall, a look at some of the cast members and their character's deaths, and more history and lore from the books that the show skips over.

I'll update this review with more information when it's released, and of course when I have the box set in hand.

5.0 out of 5 stars This season was excellent. I can't even begin to express how I ..., December 4, 2014
This review is from: Game of Thrones: Season 4 (Blu-Ray+Digital Copy) (Blu-ray)
This season was excellent. I can't even begin to express how I loved it without giving away things that you need to experience first hand. The momentum just builds and builds. Looking forward to this release.

To the people who gave one-star reviews because they somehow thought this was released already, some insight: None of the previous three seasons were released to home video before mid-February. It's for marketing reasons and isn't going to change. The new seasons begin airing in late March or early April. They put out the box set in mid-February to build the attention for the new season and give people a chance to catch-up or refresh. If you are new and didn't know this, now you do. If you are upset you pre-ordered a show you can't watch for 3 months, understand that it is a pre-order, and you can just cancel the pre-order to get a refund. It's actually faster and easier to do than come here and complain in a review because you didn't know.

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST SHOW ON EARTH., August 15, 2014
This review is from: Game of Thrones: Season 4 (Blu-Ray+Digital Copy) (Blu-ray)
I was a little late into the Game of Thrones fervor. I finally started watching it about 8 months ago. Since then this show has grown on me like a teasing lover, I can't leave alone. The story is compellingly intriguing, the production is fantastic and the more I watch, the more I want to watch. I have watched all 3 seasons 3 times. Now I'm 2 episode into the fourth season. Nope I'm not doling out spoilers :)
The characters have started living in my head, sometimes I go "wait a minute, who is that again and where did he or she come into the story?" What is unusual, is that minor characters are often just as important and intriguing as the main characters. At least for now, the relationship between The Hound and Arya Stark is my favorite, it's sweet and creepy at the same. The chemistry between these two actors is amazing. I'm in love with Tyrion Lannister, I am aware that I have few million competitors, (makes me feel like I want to be a young hoe in King's Landing, gosh I'm blushing) however I find Jamie Lannister to be the most complex and fascinating one. Then there is Jon Snow, he is mysterious and I have a feeling there is much more to him than being a bastard. He has the look of someone you only see in your dreams. He makes me dreamy.

Game of Thrones is a well balanced show, between complex characters, violence, compassion, love, hate, scheming, sex and other human factors that belong to life and a great show. It is the most luring show I have ever seen in my life. I just got the first book, but somehow I feel like I have to save reading it, for fear of loosing something after I read the series. I know I will get just as lost in the book as i do in the show. I want to relish in it like I do watching it and never let go until I die. I just don't want it to end.

For anyone who hasn't start watching, I promise, Game of Thrones is better than sex an wine combined. It gets better with age, like wine and lures you in like a lover you are hurting with lust to bed with. Simply irresistible. If you like these two things, you will love it. On a second thought, maybe if you are young, you should wait until you are old like I am now. Today my only child is 31, do the math if it pleases you. There are things and actions going on in Game of Thrones, better understood after life has beaten you down for few rounds. You can also watch it again, later in life with new perspective. The show will be there and it 's getting better than better :)

5.0 out of 5 stars One word that pretty much sums it all up... "EPIC!!!" Hope that was informative., December 1, 2014
This review is from: Game of Thrones: Season 4 (Blu-Ray+Digital Copy) (Blu-ray)
Simply flawless! I have seen seasons 1-3 twice and season 4 once and this show is just undeniably amazing! It only got better on that second watch-through, and I'm already itching for that next marathon when season 4 releases on Blu-ray. There's a lot of story, so it really helps to have multiple viewings to help follow it. I feel sorry for the fools who have only seen a needle of the show and have already crossed the show off their lists because they didn't like it. You really gotta watch at least one whole season to test it out, but since all seasons are amazing thus far, I would only recommend watching all of them. But the show is just great, top notch writing, acting and overall presentation. It's a masterpiece. The story is full of drama, suspense and characters you will learn to like, love and loathe. All seasons are truly as amazing as the last, and season 4 is no exception as it's just another step up the ladder of Game of Thrones epicness. Season 5 cannot come soon enough!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great season - just giving it 5 stars to help ..., January 7, 2015
Great season - just giving it 5 stars to help bring up the rating due to the many morons who can't read well enough to see that this is clearly a PRE-ORDER for a product that will be released in FEBRUARY. Amazing that there are so many people who can use a computer and open a browser, go to Amazon, and find a product but can't read!

5.0 out of 5 stars The option to review a program should not be available until the show is available for screening., November 18, 2014
The option to review a program should not be available until the show is available for screening. Most of the folks here are reveiwing Amazon's misleading marketing practices, not the show, which is not yet available for veiwing, therefore no one can yet provide a useful review of it. Amazon should provide a public and visible forum for crtiques of their business methods. I a placing 5 stars here because I loved the earlier seasons and expect that I am likely to like this one also. When the show comes out, if I no longer think it rates 5 stars, I will change my rating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Suspenseful continuation of a great series, December 5, 2014
A. Stanton (Clifton, Virginia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Game of Thrones: Season 4 (Blu-Ray+Digital Copy) (Blu-ray)
I've already watched Season 4 but I will order the DVD as soon as it's released. Overall I loved Season 4, but that's not to say I loved everything about it. Without giving anything away I felt that one story line seemed to drag on and on and never really went anywhere (plod, plod, plod), but that's been the case with this particular story line since the first season. On the other hand all the other main stories are getting even more interesting. Be prepared for the usual gore and sex (a lot of gore) and some shocking plot developments. And the last episode was really, really intriguing and ramps up your anticipation for Season 5.

5.0 out of 5 stars in which the Starks (sort of) strike back, July 14, 2014
H. Bala "Me Too Can Read" (Recently moved back to Carson, California, or as I call it... the center of the universe) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Game of Thrones: Season 4 (DVD)
Season 4 is the best season yet, and I don't think it's close. A grip of elements fall into place: the complex storytelling, the pacing, the jaw-dropping twists, the phenomenal acting... Just hand Dinklage his Emmy already - sorry, Bryan Cranston. As well, fork another Emmy over to Pedro Pascal whose electrifying performance as the Red Viper merits him one. Season 3, watchable as it was, was still undermined by a catalogue of gone-nowhere-fast story arcs. Conversely, Season 4 seemed to hurtle by. The trademark big, visceral moments aren't withheld until the ninth episode but instead are sensibly spaced out. I loved the heady sense of forward momentum, never mind that, okay, Dany and Stannis were still essentially treading water in their storylines. Thankfully, Bran's scenes - which locomoted at glacier speeds - were kept to a minimum, even though this meant less Hodor. Incredibly, Season 4 ends with that rarest of things for this show: a tentative whiff of hope. That rousing, triumphant score - a tweaking of the theme song - that sends off a beloved GoT character as Season 4 called it a day, oh man, I want to download that version.

I was tidying up the other day when I came across an old, tattered scrap of paper on which I'd written a wish list for what I'd hoped to see for the fourth season of Game of Thrones. (Man, was I naive back then.) Here's that wish list - it comes with a huge honking SPOILERS ALERT:

- For Daenarys to mobilize her massive army to Westeros already, so she could commence to tearing sh-- up at Kings Landing
- A touching father/son bonding moment between Tyrion and Tywin, maybe during a spot of debauchery at Littlefinger's brothel? Oh, but hold up, Tywin is too classy for that
- Much as I like Sansa's hanging out with Tyrion, it's an icky marriage; I hope GoT avoids putting those two in a borderline ped0 relationship
- I am ba11s deep into Season 4's best and most charismatic new character, Prince Oberyn, who promises to monopolize the season's cheekiest lines; After the brutal gut punches of Ned and Robb Stark's executions, I am certain there's no way GoT would dare for the trifecta
- Please, some (or any) clarification of Bran's weird and boring dreams
- A few intense minutes of Ser Pounce batting around a ball of string
- Ygritte and Jon Snow's romantic ice-fishing honeymoon
- Arya and the Hound branching out into their own sitcom (maybe call it The Road to Moon Door Castle)
- More, please, of Tyrion and his sardonic bud, Bron, and their special tale of steadfast camaraderie
- "The Rains of Castamere" and "The Bear and the Maiden Fair" only whet my appetite for more ballads out of Westeros - more ditties, please
- Cersei Lannister for Mother of the Year

Not one of those panned out. So here's an alternate list, this one of takeaways and of life lessons as imparted by GoT Season 4 (and again huge SPOILERS alert):

- The only thing love and honor will get you is your teeth punched out and your skull graphically 'sploded
- The Hound really, really likes chicken
- Tywin has got no patience for elderly hype men
- Gods laugh at trial by combat; Arya laughs during those awkward moments
- When winning in a fight, go for the kill, son; DON'T take a page from those old wrestling shows and strut around and posture and hover over your fallen adversary
- also, refrain from Inigo Montoya impressions
- Poor old Ser Jorah - but at least he's done getting friend-zoned to death by Daenarys
- Tywin is now taking Khaleesi seriously
- a dire wolf makes the best pet/auxiliary killing device
- I wonder what other amenities the phrase "Valar Morghulis" will get you in Braavos? Maybe a free taco?
- Sansa is finally playing the Game of Thrones and is now being dressed by Cher's glam squad
- Must take up half the night before our little psychopath, Arya Stark, gets to go to sleep
- The only thing more scary than Westeros weddings are baths with Reek
- The sheer satisfaction of the Purple Wedding
- Ramsay Snow is a more depraved, more cunning, more formidable version of Joffrey
- It's super-hard to get a loan from the Iron Bank of Braavos... although absent body parts may grant you an extended audience with the loan officers
- We suspected it, but now we know: Jaime Lannister doesn't give a dusty f--- about rules
- At the Wall, Jon Snow's heart gets shattered by an orphan kid's bro nod
- The Wall is no place for sex ed talks
- Sam Tarly went for it; about time
- On Grey Worm's playlist - Pink Floyd's "Empty Spaces," Air Supply's "Making Love Out of Nothing at All," and Spike Jones' "Yes! We Have No Bananas!"
- "Pillar and stones" - because there aren't enough euphemisms
- Who knew Tywin and Elvis had something in common? Or Brienne of Tarth and Mike Tyson?
- Those thinking that Arya didn't deliver the coup de grâce because she didn't want to kill her friend haven't been paying attention
- No Lady Stoneheart, guys - maybe in Season 5

The DVD and Blu-Ray release is scheduled for February 17, 2015. The following is info from the "tvshowsondvd" website:

"Blu-ray with Digital Copy - includes all DVD features plus:

*In-Episode Guide - In-feature resource that provides background information about on-screen characters, locations and relevant histories
*Histories & Lore - Learn about the mythology of Westeros as told from the varying perspectives of the characters themselves

DVD:

*Behind the Battle for the Wall - Follow the cast and crew as they create the most ambitious battle to date. This 30-minute documentary explores the challenges of putting together one of the series' most intense episodes, with never-before-seen material
*The Fallen: A Roundtable - Writer Bryan Cogman sits down with a few of the many cast members who meet their demise in Season 4. From first learning of their deaths to shooting their final scenes, this 30-minute feature will shed light on what it's like to live-and die-in the Game of Thrones world
*The Politics of Power: A Look Back at Season 3 - Revisit the brutal events of Season 3 to see power shifts that define Westeros at the start of Season 4
*Bastards of Westeros - Hear showrunners David Benioff & D.B. Weiss and author George R.R. Martin discuss the role bastards play in the Seven Kingdoms
*Deleted/Extended Scenes - Two deleted scenes
*Audio Commentaries - Commentaries with cast and crew, including showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, A Song of Ice and Fire author George R.R. Martin, Sophie Turner, Maisie Williams, Pedro Pascal, Aiden Gillen and more!"

Now, excuse me while I install a moon door.

5.0 out of 5 stars The closest thing to a perfect show we have seen so far, January 1, 2015
This review is from: Game of Thrones: Season 4 (Blu-Ray+Digital Copy) (Blu-ray)
The closest thing to a perfect show we have seen so far. GoT raises the bar for television and movies alike.
Season four is no exception to this. It follows the book faithfully where it is important and alters the story where it makes sense just enough to keep the plot flowing.

5.0 out of 5 stars A+++ series!, January 20, 2015
So many more great scenes and unexpected twists from season 4! Obviously we are reaching a point where the show is going to differentiate even more from the books which was expected but overall the show has been quite consistent and in it's own right it has definitely a great hour of television each week. The acting has been great all along and I think we are lucky that they were able to cast people like Peter Dinklage, Charles Dance, and Jack Gleeson. I hope everybody else is enjoying the show as much as I am.

Game of Thrones: Season 4 (Blu-Ray+Digital Copy)
$79.98 $39.96