6,395 Reviews
 (4,651)

5,106 of 5,355 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Well plotted and paced; excellent, fresh fantasy tale
First off, I'm a heavy duty fan of GRRM. I've read over a 100 different fantasy authors in my time (started at 12; I'm now 32). Took about 5 years off from the genre b/c I felt it was all getting too formulaic and cliched.
So, when I came back to fantasy at the end of 1999, I read the usual: Goodkind, Jordan, etc. and then someone told me about GRRM and man,...
Published on May 9, 2001 by MISTER SJEM

2,790 of 2,991 people found the following review helpful
2.0 out of 5 stars Kindle editing - AARRRGGGHHHH!
NB: THIS REVIEW REFERS TO THE KINDLE EDITION ALONE! This is a great book, and I've eaten up the series and have been on tenterhooks for George RR to get his finger out and publish A Dance with Dragons for YEARS now. (And the tv series!! Be still my beating heart!!!) But I have to comment on the extremely bad editing of the Kindle edition of A Game of Thrones. It is...
Published on April 13, 2011 by triquestral

‹ Previous | 1263 264 265640 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Another request for Christmas., January 4, 2014
kathryn marrs (Santa Barbara, CA, US) - See all my reviews
My son-in-law loves this series, so it made a good choice to give him as a gift.
Good quick delivery.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, January 4, 2014
Ramona A. Milburn "Ramona Milburn" (Philadelphia, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Game of Thrones: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book One (Kindle Edition)
It's been awhile since I've read a book that makes me want to look up words :) This is a good period book

5.0 out of 5 stars outstanding, January 4, 2014
The story line is great and the author delves into each character amazingly. You really get attached to the characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful Picture of an Imperfect World, January 4, 2014
I have to admit, this is the rare occasion that I was a fan of the TV show before reading the book. Though I loved the show so much that I just HAD to check out the source material, I did so with a little fear that the book couldn’t possibly be as good as the show (see: The Vampire Diaries). Happily, I was mistaken.

Because I started with the show, it’s difficult for me to evaluate how effective Martin’s writing style is. I began the book with a clear picture in my head of the fantastic characters, situations, and plot twists of the show, so there wasn’t much discovery of new information for me. However, what struck me over and over again as I listened to the audiobook was how much of that came directly from the text. Many things that I was giving the showrunners credit for—character details, beautifully written scenes, particularly great bits of dialogue—were pulled straight out of Martin’s mind, often word-for-word. There was also the delight of getting new background information that I missed in the show, such as Jory being Rodrick’s son, insight into Jon and Catelyn’s relationship, or ***SPOILER*** the delightful awkwardness of Cersei trying to seduce Ned***END SPOILER***. While some might find this tedious, I tend to think that the quantity and quality of the details is every bit as important as the main plot of the story in a book like this.

And make no mistake, there are a LOT of details. Like the show, the book revolves around multiple narrators, each of whom has their own storyline in their own location, each of which has its own main characters around whom secondary characters revolve, etcetera and so forth. Some storylines progress rapidly, some at a snail’s pace. Some made me smile and some made me wish for a physical book I could throw across the room. There are a lot of characters to remember, a lot of events, a lot of places, and a lot of history, all of which make up the world that Martin has created.

The beauty of having so many details and so much space is that, used correctly, the world comes alive on the page in ways both good and bad. Another reviewer said Martin isn’t afraid to let his characters live, die, and be human, and that’s true. There is love, hate, tenderness, violence, honor, betrayal, sacrifice, sex, and everything in between. In the middle of it all lurks the ever-present murkiness that makes life and choices hard, and those shades of gray multiply the further on you get in the book. It is a powerful look at an imperfect world and one well worth the time it takes to finish.

Audiobook note: Though the reader of the audiobook had a big job that he mostly handled well, his choice for Tyrion’s voice was horrendous. If you choose to go the audiobook route, I encourage you to close your eyes and think of Peter Dinklage.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review, January 3, 2014
Cheryl L. Young (San Diego, CA, US) - See all my reviews
Happy with it would not have ordered it if I wasn't happy. Great book Great book Book is great period

5.0 out of 5 stars 6,7,8 stars, January 3, 2014
Chris Schilling (Brookfield, CT USA) - See all my reviews
This is my third reading of A Game of Thrones. I love these books so much. They will bring you high on power and honor only to dash you on the rocks below of greed and avarice. You will discover characters to love and those to detest and to fear. There are so many characters and so many stories, that you will never hold them all in your rush to discover what is to come. Now that the series is so well known, you may think you do not need to read the books. You are wrong. These books add so much more to the story. Everyone takes a little bit of something different from their reading and even in this third pass through them, I am discovering those hints and clues that I missed twice before. Reading them on my Kindle this time is more fun as I can take notes and save highlights. My only warning for the reader is that these are very graphic stories in terms of violence, passion and that which occurs when the two combine. Considering myself definitely on the prudish side of the fence, I am still reading them yet again. They are that Great ...

4.0 out of 5 stars Looking forward to the next in the series!, January 2, 2014
Great adventure! The character are so well written that I feel like I know them. Wordy in some spots but still hard to put down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Long...burt good!, January 2, 2014
Martin does a great job of setting up the series in this first book. A good and exciting read, even though I have already been a fan of the HBO series. Still worth the read

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, January 2, 2014
This is my first book I've read on the kindle and I've wholly enjoyed the experience. The story is compelling and after watching the show I've enjoyed the book even more. Highly recommend!

4.0 out of 5 stars Intense story, January 1, 2014
I enjoyed this book but it was very intense to read, with a lot of blood shed, different names to remember (and pronounce). It was very descriptive, with a bit of humour and sadness thrown in. I loved the dwarf, Tyrion, he is the best character! Need a break though before I read the next one. And I will read the next one.

‹ Previous | 1263 264 265640 | Next ›