5.0 out of 5 stars Staple for the Gamecube
If you have a Gamecube you need this memory card. The 251 works well and allows for a lot of saving/deleting of information.
Published on December 26, 2003 by Scarletaka

1.0 out of 5 stars Corrupted Card
The card came completely full of files. I had to spend 10 minutes deleting everything. After the card had room, I tried it and it says that the card is corrupted. It won't work. I'm really disappointed. I'll have to order another one...
Published on November 25, 2012 by Brent

5.0 out of 5 stars Staple for the Gamecube, December 26, 2003
This review is from: Gamecube Memory Card 251 (Video Game)
For a memory card this one is mandatory with many of Gamecube games and this one is the safest bet in order to play many of the games. There are other cards on the market but I don't know how well they function. This one functions great.
My complaints follow for why I didn't give this 5 stars are below.
1. Like many of the companies now they are charging a rather high price for something that probably costs very little to mass produce.
2. Even with the 251 capacity this still falls short and you can save only a few games to this card. Playing the new Sims Bustin Out game it takes up over 100 by itself.
For quality and storage capacity I do recommend this card for beginning with this system. I'll let you know if I find another that works better, so far no luck.

5.0 out of 5 stars Memories, March 11, 2004
"lothodies" (Lakewood, CO USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gamecube Memory Card 251 (Video Game)
Finally Nintendo does it right and comes out with a descent sized memory card. The 51 is simply too small even for some single games. If you have a lot of games (like me) you'll need at least one of these if not more. The 251 holds a goodly number of games in addition to being highly reliable. I've even had a couple close encounters with mild static electricity making contact with the card and it hasn't adversely effected the card's abilities (though I strongly advise avoiding static shocks by touching a light switch before picking up anything electronic).
One thing you all should keep in mind, despite this card's durability is to create regular back-up files. I recommend doing this on a separate card, making sure to label them so you don't get confused. This way if you do manage to fry your 251 card you wont kick yourself in the head for losing all of your hard fought data. As a back-up I have an I-tech card which holds more than enough to back-up two of the 251 cards. I do recommend, however, that you only use the I-tech as a back-up since some sports games aren't as compatible with this non-Nintendo made technology.
Happy gaming.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Quality Product from Nintendo, May 13, 2004
Meg "Livin la vida loca in Maine!" (Presque Isle, ME, United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Gamecube Memory Card 251 (Video Game)
If you read the VERY small print on your Game Cube warranty, any and all 3rd party (i.e. Intec, Mad Catz) products that you use on your system void your warranty with your Game Cube. When people ask me, I always recommend the original. The Original Memory card that Nintendo came out with was way too small for the games they were putting out on the market. The 251 is great! I had 5-59 block memory cards at one time, all with one file on it that was over half the size of the card. Having a 251 allows me to have one card in my system, with all my saved games, and plenty of space left over. This is a definite must have if you're buying a system.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pricey but reliable., August 21, 2007
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Gamecube Memory Card 251 (Video Game)
[Ignore the "fun" rating, as this is not a game. Fun: N/A is not a choice.]

This is exactly what it claims to be. Nintendo's first-party memory cards are expensive (considering their small capacity) but reliable and durable. I've never had any issues with their memory cards. Cheap third-party cards, on the other hand...

In deciding whether to buy a 251-block memory card or a 1019-block memory card, consider how many Gamecube games you have (or will have in the future). Games always list the memory card blocks required (typically in to 10-50 range) on the back of their cases.

And of course, a Gamecube memory card is necessary for saving game data when playing Gamecube cames on the Wii. Just as Wii controllers are not backwards-compatible, neither is the Wii's internal memory.

5.0 out of 5 stars Never buy anything other than Nintendo Brand..., January 6, 2005
Alexandra (San Diego, CA USA) - See all my reviews
= Durability:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Gamecube Memory Card 251 (Video Game)
My family bought one of the "mondo" block cards that supposedly allowed over 1000 blocks of memory to be stored for much cheaper than this 251 block version. Well, the only trouble was it kept saying it was corrupt, that it needed to be formatted, and that all of my data would be erased. Finally we gave in and went and bought one of these cards, and we have had no trouble at all.

I guess it really is true that you get what you pay for!

4.0 out of 5 stars Save Game, January 29, 2004
Mars Burton (Minneapolis, MN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gamecube Memory Card 251 (Video Game)
With Memory Card 251, Nintendo addresses an issue that, quite frankly, should have never been an issue: lack of save game space. Even before launch, many felt that Memory Card 59 was a waste of space (and money) due to its paltry sum of bytes. As it is, some current GameCube games alone wouldn't even fit on the meager 59.
So, here comes Nintendo with Memory Card 251. Still smaller than Sony's card, and a mere speck in comparison to Microsoft's Xbox hard drive, Nintendo's 251 just barely gets the job done. In comparison to the 59, it offers much more memory space in which to save games. So it succeeds on that level. But with the competition offering such advanced features/items, you'd think Nintendo could have upped the amount of space to at least 512 or so.
To be fair, Memory Card 251 is a better card than the 59 model. It features a good amount of space to save a good amount of games, but pales in comparison to the competition. And it's Nintendo-produced, so you won't be worrying about missing data anytime soon.
Bottomline: The only quality choice for GameCube game saving.

5.0 out of 5 stars It doesn't get better than Nintendo!, August 4, 2004
A Kid's Review
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Gamecube Memory Card 251 (Video Game)
This memory card is GREAT!! It's got more than 3 times the memory space of the Memory Card 59 and is very reliable!

The great thing about this memory card is that it's licensed by Nintendo and offers a HUGE amount of storage space. The non-licensed memory cards may offer even more space, but here is what happens 9 times out of 10. You save tons of prized data on the card, and then all of it is deleted when an error occurs when saving. If you want to risk your data, go ahead, but as a hardcore gamer, I recommend nothing but the Nintendo licensed product.

5.0 out of 5 stars FINE FOR CASUAL GAMERS, January 30, 2006
A Kid's Review
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Gamecube Memory Card 251 (Video Game)
These memory cards are great! They have just the right amount of memory for me (a casual gamer). I like them because they store all of my files. In my Memory Card 251, I have about 100 files, and they all work perfectly. I have never had any problems with it in the past, and hope I never will. Since I only play Gamecube when I get tired of Xbox, I never save many games. It is my brother who uses up a majority of the space on this Memory Card. I recommend this Memory Card to anyone who doesn't have any games that take up more than sixty blocks. The price is a bit much, considering that this is a Gamecube acessory. I think that the size is a bit too small. I often lose this Memory Card in my vast amount of games, but then again, it is black, so you can find it without much trouble. Overall, this is the best Memory Card for the Gamecube.

Note: If this Memory Card doesn't have enough memory, do not get any other off-brand Memory Card. Get a larger one of the Nintendo brand.

5.0 out of 5 stars The BEST!, June 22, 2004
This review is from: Gamecube Memory Card 251 (Video Game)
This is definetly the best memory card for this system. We had the Mad Catz card that came with a "starter kit" when we first purchased the system, but lost all of our data after only a month.
The first one of these Nintendo Memory Cards that we purchased was almost destroyed when my husband put it in our hanging lamp for safekeeping when we were re-arranging the living room. Of course, I turned on the lamp, not knowing the card was right next to the bulb. 50% of the plastic was melted off the back of the card, but when we plugged it into the Game Cube, all of our data was still there. We were impressed, and decided to buy a back-up Nintendo Memory Card.
Definetly the best.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Pretty Good Device for the Casual Gamecube Owner, November 18, 2005
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Gamecube Memory Card 251 (Video Game)
Make no mistake, this is the memory card for you if you've got a Gamecube (which I'm assuming you do, or you're planning on getting one soon).

Anyway, there are 251 blocks on this baby, which may not seem like a lot, but it is. It gets the job done, and you don't have to worry about it corrupting data or anything. I've had mine for a while and nothing has happened to the files saved on there. It's also easy to save and delete information from this thing with the simple click of a button.

Please, don't get that damn third party memory card from Madcatz, my experience with that is corrupted data, and constant reformating of the card (which erases your files anyway). Only go with Nintendo, they're the only ones who know the divine nature of their memory card.

I must say, though, this is for the casual gamer. Someone who doesn't have every game they can possibly get a hold of. Some EA games, for exammple, take up over one-hundred blocks of memory. Basically, what I'm saying is simple: If you're one who has a ton of games, you may find yourself buying more than one of these memory cards before you know it. Not every game has a save for just the game. Resident Evil, for example, saves on a different block every time. Just like a playstation memory card. If you're like me, however, you probably don't have THAT many games that it's a bother.

The other thing I must caution is simple: This thing, like every other memory card, is small as hell. This one even more so. If you can, keep it plugged in your Gamecube at all times.

The great thing about memory cards, just about everyone of them, is simple: You can take them anywhere. Does your same friend also own Super Mario Sunshine? Hey, that's great, now you can leave your copy of the game at home and take your memory card. It lightens the load.

It's essential to have a memory card if you buy a Gamecube, and this is a good one. If, however, you happen to be someone who has a TON of games, this won't hold you over long enough, and you'll have to buy another.

No Gamecube owner should be without a memory card, though.

Gamecube Memory Card 251
Gamecube Memory Card 251 by Nintendo (GameCube)
$19.99 $15.94