4.0 out of 5 stars A Long Time Coming
Having very fond childhood memories of this movie, I have been waiting a long time for this film to arrive on VHS or DVD. Retromedia has kindly provided the film on DVD, and I am most grateful. (Now, I hope that Retromedia will release Gamera vs. Gyaos on DVD!)
Published on March 3, 2004 by Thomas H. Ayers

3.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly fun Gamera flick, but Gappa...
Published on February 24, 2006 by Matt Frank

4.0 out of 5 stars A Long Time Coming, March 3, 2004
Thomas H. Ayers (Bowie, MD United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gamera vs. Monster X / Monster from a Prehistoric Planet (DVD)
1) Opinion of film: Several things stand out: a) a monster that reproduces via parasitic larvae--this movie was way ahead of its time--and shoots darts out of its head, which is really neat; b) I liked the fact that Gamera was a friend to children, and the children had exciting and (sort of) plausible adventures to save his life--as a kid, I was fascinated by the children taking a sub into Gamera to find out why it was sick and then saving it from the parasite; and c) I was also greatly amused by Gamera sticking telephone poles in its ears to protect them against loud noise.
Although the film looks very different to these adult eyes, I still enjoyed watching it, and my children did, too. The more recent Gamera films from the 1990s are far superior in most every way, but this film was a special treat for me as a child, and I'm glad to own the DVD of it.
2) Opinion of DVD: All of the DVD versions that I have seen of the old Gamera films look faded with poor color. Although you can tell the print is old, this one isn't as bad as some.
This movie is pan-and-scan; I have never seen a completely widescreen version of this or any other old Gamera film, though the fight scenes suggest that they were filmed that way. (Gamera vs. Barugon is a good example, and I can't help but remember seeing fight scenes of that in widescreen--none of the VHS or DVD versions of that film are widescreen, though, so I can't confirm that.) Nevertheless, this version does mirror what I saw on TV as a child, so I won't complain.
Although I would prefer a restored print in widescreen format, if available, with all of the bells and whistles of a modern release, I accept that this is a cult film with a relatively small following; I'll take what I can get. The price is a little high, but, because I've wanted to see this again for so long, I can't be too picky.
3) Overall: As old monster movies go, this is neither a classic nor a dud, so I should rate it 3 stars. However, it is one of the better installments of the old Gamera series (Gamera vs. Barugon--aka "War of the Monsters"--being the best and most dramatic, in my opinion, and Gamera vs. Zigra or Gamera vs. Guiron being among the worst), and it has been my sentimental favorite for years (definitely a children's film compared to Gamera vs. Barugon!). Since it is one of the better ones from the old series, I'm giving it 4 stars. Adult fans of the old series will mostly be grateful for this, and, if my children are any indication, kids who like monster movies will probably enjoy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars CAN'T SAY ENOUGH GOOD THINGS....., November 29, 2004
I just saw this film for the first time ever. I am 33 and I never cought
this one when I was a kid. And boy oh boy I just cant say enough good things about this. This is on a par with RETURN OF THE GIANT MONSTERS and WAR OF THE MONSTERS. A decent and fairly realistic opponent for Gamera is featured and the plot is really clever.
Far better than the previous films, DESTROY ALL PLANETS and ATTACK OF THE MONSTERS and the awful one's that followed, GAMERA VS. ZIGRA and GAMERA SUPER MONSTER.
I WAS REALLY ENTERTAINED BY GAMERA VS. MONSTER X!!!!!
My only complaint about this disk is the awful muddy copy of MONSTER
FROM A PREHISTORIC PLANET. This same terrible print is also being offered by Alpha Video, Lazer and Brentwood. I like nostalgia, but I
never saw a print this bad on TV when I was growing up. Orion Home Video's VHS tape from about fifteen years ago was far superior. Other than that its a pretty good monster movie. It was originally called GAPPA- THE TRIPHIBIAN MONSTER or MONSTERS but American
International changed the title when the sold it to TV in a package with
VOYAGE TO A PREHISTORIC PLANET.

3.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly fun Gamera flick, but Gappa..., February 24, 2006
Gamera flicks have rarely been known to be good movies, but Gamera vs. Jiger (or Monster X) isn't half bad...of course, it isn't half good, either, but it's entertaining enough for the kiddies, and has some rather creative elements, but, like all of the Showa Gamera R1 dvd's, the transfer is absolutely horrid, but the dubbing is only somewhat painful. Get it to complete your collection.

As for Gappa, aka "Monster From a Prehistoric Planet," it's a nifty extra treat for kaiju fans...if you enjoy absolutely awful dubbing and rather sub-par SPFX. The Gappa monsters themmselves are basically combinations of Godzilla and Rodan, but they're still pretty creative (especially their roars).

Overall, a decent disc, considering that it's the best that we're going to get here in the US.

3.0 out of 5 stars Meh, November 11, 2005
A Kid's Review
I'll do each in different catagories.

GAMERA VS. MONSTER X

When a group of ignorent explorers accidentally unleash a demon powerful enough to destroy all life, Gamera must confront the beast and stop the end of the world. Jiger(aka Monster X) is a cool foe of Gamera's and can be safely said as one of Gamera's much tougher opponents. The dubbing is aweful, the acting is mediocre, and there are a few obvious fight mess ups unedited(when Gamera's head starts to lean offly far to the right in the second battle), but the movie has a solid outline and is very creative compared to some of the movies in the saga. Definately one of the better Showa Gamera films. OVERALL: A

MONSTER FROM A PREHISTORIC PLANET

The Japanese remake of "Goro", the film is about exxplorers who uncover a baby dinosaur and bring it back to Tokyo. The baby monster's parents wake up, realizing the baby is gone, and head for Japan in rage. This film is very droll and long. The two parent monsters are ok, but the baby Gappa is hidious and pathetic. Another Minya, if you will. The destruction parts are cool, though. OVERALL: D+

DVD

This DVD is fairly poor in quality. There are sadly no extras and the video is mediocre. Not much of a DVD. The audio is pretty good, unlike the video. OVERALL: C-

IN TOTAL

This is not the best DVD out there. If you are going to buy this, get it only for the Gamera film. OVERALL: C

4.0 out of 5 stars Finally Monster X on dvd!, February 15, 2004
By A Customer
Okay, the dvd is not good quality. But it isnt supposed to be. I think this is a cool look at these movies just as they appeared on TV in the 70's and 80's. After all the dvd is released by a company called RETROmedia right? So why would you look for widescreen and all kinds of modern features? If you enjoyed watching these movies back in the day on TV, you will probably like this disc. GAMERA VS MONSTER X is a rare treat, not seen on tv or an officially released video in years. MONSTER FROM A PREHISTORIC PLANET makes a cool bonus. Overall, an enjoyable journey into the past for me, but if all you care about is quality of the prints instead of the movies you should stay away.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not The Best in Showa Gamera Series, December 7, 2005
The movie is slow and it takes a while before it gets going, but when it does, the movie is pretty good. It has a classic scene when Gamera puts electric poles in his ears to block out the high frequency noise. It's funny to watch him fight Jiger a.k.a. Monster X with electric poles sticking out of his ears! Overall pretty good, but definitely not the best out of the Showa series.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the better Gamera films, June 26, 2008
Although the first three of the Showa series are the best (Gammera, the Invincible, War of the Monsters and Return of the Giant Monsters), this one is just as good as those three and much better then the following two Gamera films (Gamera vs. Zigra and Gamera Super Monster). Jiger (Or Monster X in the Dub) is possibly the first and only kaiju to ever impregnate another kaiju making her quite a lethal foe for our beloved turtle friend. The kids aren't that annoying but one thing that did bother me is that they would usually say "Fight Gamera, fight!" or "Gamera, use your fire"! They treat Gamera as if he was a pokemon! No offense to fans of the games. Gamera does a few silly things as well. Like putting two poles in his ears so he could block off Jiger's beam thing (Hard to describe). Now for the second feature, Monster From a Prehistoric Planet (AKA Gappa, the Triphibian Monster). It's not bad but it's not great. A pretty fun kaiju flick if you ask me. The effects in MFAPP aren't too bad but are pretty fake looking. Why wasn't this on Mystery Science Theater 3000, I'll never know. Could have been a great episode. Anyways, now onto the DVD. The disc isn't that great in quality or extras. GVMX is in poor shape as colors are washed out and some scenes are just a bit too bright. The audio is good though so that's something to clap for. MFAPP is in very poor shape but better then the Alpha Video's disc of the film. Some scenes are so dark that it's hard to see what's going on. The only extra here is the Retro Media website info but it isn't much to satisfy our hunger for kaiju extras. One of the better Gamera films from the Showa series and a fun kaiju flick on a single disc that may disappoint some fans but at least you won't have much of a loss.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Gamera Movie! Poor Quality Copy!, August 13, 2005
When you see a message at the beginning of your DVD that says "We have done our best to preserve the quality... blah blah blah" then you know you've just been had. Yep! The quality of the movies on these DVDs - both pan/scan are poor quality. The Gappa film is very dark and "muddy". It looks like a very old 16MM dub.

I bought this because I wanted a copy of "G Vs. Jiger" on DVD. It was cheap so I am not complaining more than I already have.

As Gamera films go, I really liked "Gamera Vs. Monster X" (Jiger). The two main kid heroes are a little older in this one, so they were not so annoying. The fact that they are wearring scout outfits throughout is kind of strange and the little girl in the movie is just creepy. Watch it and I am sure you will agree. I don't know if it is the fact that an adult actress is doing the English child voice in the dub or if its just the fact that she looks like one of the flying monkeys from the "Wizard Of Oz". I am shuddering now just writing this passage about her - WEIRD!!!

Anyway, Jiger is a ridiculous costume. He is a quadruped like Barugon and Guiron with a stinging tail, suction cup skin, and rhino-like horns that shoot bone darts. He also has a bitchin' heat ray. Though the costume is a bit silly, the effects in this movie are not too shabby. There is some serious city devastation in this one. More than in most Gamera films. The Expo center set is not too remarkable, but it beats a wooded area with a few popsickle stick electric towers anyday.

The best part is the boys venturing into Gamera (Yeah - right. Their parents are going to let them do that!) to find out what is wrong with him. Great homage to "Fantastic Voyage". Inside they must battle a mini Jiger with no weapons. Now that's tension.

A hysterically silly kaiju film with an incredibly gory escape from death by Gamera, where he has to pull a bone dart through each of his limbs in order to fly again. Ahhhhh! That's gotta hurt!

Come to think of it... I could never understand how Gamera could fly with fire jetting out of his shell holes and never get burned. Hmmmm.

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah. Don't think. Just enjoy. This Gamera is a fun one. Get a copy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gamera vs. Monster X/Monster from a Prehistoric Planet, March 27, 2009
Gamera vs. Monster X is a movie about Gamera fighting a monster known as Monster X aka. Giger. The two monsters battle and as usual Gamera defeats Monster X. Monster from a Prehistoric Planet is the story of a baby monster called the Gappa which is captured and brought to be displayed in public. It's parents arrive and are reunited with their baby. In between the adult Gappa's destroy buildings and set buildings on fire. The movie is also known as Gappa the Triphibian Monster. It is similar in style as Gorgo.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gamera vs Monster X, September 18, 2005
My favorite kaiju movie I almost forgot, I saw this movie once when I was a child & liked it. But they never gave it again. I finally found it here at Amazon. And was taken back to happier times {Ah to be young and oblivious} But I digress. This Dvd has good audio quality and good video quality, on a scale of 1 - 10 I give it a 9. Only thing that sucks is after I sent for it I found it at the Dollar Tree dollar store, as a double feature with War of the monsters.

Gamera vs. Monster X / Monster from a Prehistoric Planet