Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Outdoor Deals on DOTD

on April 15, 2012
This book is well worth reading. . .it's FANTASTIC!!
Right from the beginning this story pulled me in as I rooted for Diana Racine (the main protagonist)as she psychically fought against another more twisted and deranged psychic.
It was hard to put the book down at the end of each day, and I couldn't wait to pick it up the next.
With lots of unexpected twists and turns it held my interest never letting go until the very end.
The cast of characters are colorful and interesting, to say the least.
If you love a well told story, this one's for you. Enjoy!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 7, 2013
I enjoyed this book for the most part. I think it could have been about 50 pages or so shorter. When I thought the story was coming to a smooth end it started to pick up and almost restart the story, which I thought was odd. I also think toward the end too many new characters were brought into the story as part of the investigation which got a little confusing. The relationship between the heroine and the detective got just a little sappy for me, but didn't ruin the story. The story flowed well, it kept my interest throughout. I disagree with one reader who said the author put too much emphasis on the interracial relationship and the discord it caused the father. Just because this is commonly seen in society now, does not mean that it is accepted as normal by all, and has nothing to do with the south. That in itself was a dumb comment.

I think I will read Goddess of the Moon to get a little more feel for this authors books.
on May 2, 2012
Polly Iyer has found her passion, writing. She shares it with us and you would be doing yourself a favor to enter her World . In Mind Games as well as all her other books, she develops characters that become a part of your imagination. Her story structure is done with the right amount of strong content, plots that will make it hard for you to put down and words you hope will not end too quickly. It is so much fun to read her pages. She keeps your interest in check by using solid conversation with adults who have out of the ordinary lives. Their situations become exciting and while you wait for the next page to turn you enjoy realistic reactions that leave you wanting more. You will smile as well as devour the words off the page. It is hard to find a new writer who has more impact. I have read all her books and I am amazed at her ability to bring suspense, mystery and romance in a form you will enjoy, no matter what your usual reading preferences might be. You will be hooked on the books as you enter her pages. She will have an impact on all who find her works. She is the new exciting author everyone has been waiting to read. Mind games is a fine example of her great talent.

Brenda F. , SC
on January 24, 2013
First let me say that I would give this a 3-1/2 if I had the option.

WARNING: Sexual content & swearing. If you don't like that then you should definitely skip on this book.

For me the story could have been a five star one but the book had some of the same flaws that most mysteries have when there is a "love" story going on at the same time. They fall in love immediately, try to resist & blah, blah, blah. That drives me nuts. For some reason, the aspect of interracial was an issue. Not sure why in this day & age and personally it really didn't add anything to the story.

I think that the book could have been shorter without the parents as well. Yes, you needed to add a little history & why Diane is like she is but to me it just made the story longer.

I applaud the author for actually "letting" Diane be treated like a real victim. Many books the heroin is saved before anything really happens. I don't want to say too much but the bad guy finding someone during this caper was a twist.

Overall, I am starting the second in the series but there are some things that are bothering me already. They leave for three weeks & come back and Diane already has a place & won't live with him for whatever reason? How did she find an apartment so fast before leaving when the detective only had three weeks to get away? Not only that but how did Diane compartmentalize what happened while she was kidnapped? Way too rushed & that could have made an interesting "problem" that she solves during this new book.

This book was good for a read but it is not a book that you want to rush out & purchase the next in the series. Perhaps the second will knock my socks off?
on April 3, 2012
Mind Games is an outstanding suspense novel. Iyer is a fine writer, and here she's at her best. This book ranks with Karin Slaughter's or Mo Hayder's; though the violence is less graphic, it's just as powerful, and I ached for the victims.

Well-developed characters grow stronger throughout the book, and the villain is marvelous--evil but human. I almost felt sorry for him. The main character, Diana Racine, is a complex woman who tries to disguise her very real psychic ability, but when the struggle for her mind begins, she can't hide it. Iyer presents her visions vividly, with powerful emotions that will have your heart racing. I really felt them with Diana. Ernie Lucier, the New Orleans police detective who gradually learns to believe, has his own tragedy and conflicts to deal with. The supporting characters are equally well-drawn and necessary to the twists and surprises in the plot.

Iyer's skills grow with each book, and this one is terrific. I'm already a fan, and I was impressed. I highly recommend this book.
on July 15, 2015
As a child, Diana Racine had a psychic gift – she could read people’s thoughts by touching them, or something that belonged to them. She was able to help the police solve many cases, but the devastation she encountered eventually wore her down and she pretended to lose her gift.

Fast-forward to adulthood. While hiding her true self, she earns a living as a “psychic entertainer,” giving public and private readings, all for a hefty fee. Some of what she shares is from reading people or from information her computer hacker assistant digs up for her, but some of it is actually from psychic flashes. Racine travels to New Orleans to give readings at a Mardi Gras Ball. While there, she accidentally touches someone and is instantly transported into the body of a dead woman submerged in freezing water. As she passes out, she hears the man whisper that the “game has begun.”

Because she’s a psychic entertainer, skeptics tend to heap abuse on her. She gets called a fake, a cheat, and a publicity hound. Some of that is true (or she wouldn’t need the assistance of a computer hacker), but sometimes it stings because she really does know things. She has to convince a police lieutenant that her vision is for real. He’s desperate for clues, so gives her a chance to help and when she leads him to the body, he becomes a believer. Another vision leads to another body and it becomes clear the killer is really after Diana, the others are collateral damage.

Being a novel of suspense, this is fairly graphic, and it contains “adult language and situations”, but the situations and language move the plot along, rather than being gratuitous.

I was intrigued by the struggle between the public Diana and the private one, and her relationship with her loving but overbearing parents. She ends up in a relationship with the African American police lieutenant, much to the dismay of her old school racist father. But there’s some growth on all sides by the end of the book.

In the interests of full disclosure, I won a copy of this from a Goodreads giveaway. I thought the story sounded interesting – and it was. I liked it enough that when I was done, I immediately purchased books 2 and 3 in the series.
on March 14, 2015
Psychic performer Diana Racine uses all the tricks of the trade in her entertainments, but when she is grabbed by a stranger at a Mardi Gras ball, the jolting vision of a dead young woman is real. Thus begins a relentless life and death mental struggle with a man who wants her dead, but violated and humiliated first. With half-caste detective lieutenant Ernie Lucier, Diana gradually peels back the layers of mind hate to discover why. Her violent voyage through the mind of a madman leads to a surprising conclusion. Ms. Lyer lets us into the “show biz” elements of the pshcyic performance and leads us on a furious chase to save Diana from her captor.
on February 20, 2014
What a unique concept! This book drew me in from the beginning with Diane meeting a man at a party who was in costume and touched her giving her an image of a girl being killed. She knows the man is responsible. He told her he was testing her and the game has begun.
I have not read anything similar to this story. It was unique and suspenseful. Some parts (to me) were a little sadistic, but it didn't stop me from finishing it. I don't think I could have handled what Diana went through in this book as well as she did.
Parts of this book will keep you on the edge of your seat. All in all, a challenging test of willpower.
on August 11, 2014
I read the low star reviews, but decided to give it a try anyway. I was intrigued by the heroine as the story began. However, about a third of a way through, the protagonist became more and more perverted. Then f bomb began to drop regularly, and the descriptions of depravity were lengthy and gruesome. I stopped reading at the half way point. Had the author stayed with the original plot and stayed away from sensationalism, I would have been a big fan. As it is, I won't ready another of her works.
on July 13, 2015
I read the 2nd book in the series first, then read this one. I really enjoyed it. I feel like I have the background now because I intend to read the whole series, these books are that good! The villain is as bad as they come. This one was a real nail biter. I couldn't put it down.