Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Baby Sale

on August 28, 2012
I've been waiting a long time to find a gamepad that would work with my phone for classic game emulation. The Gametel pad is exactly what I wanted, and it works great. The setup guides on the company website are easier to follow than the instruction sheet in the package. The only hitch I noticed during setup was that my phone couldn't find the pad during the blutooth scan if the pad was attached to my PC with a USB cord (I was charging it). It found it just fine after I unplugged the USB.

So, how's it like to use? Overall, the Gametel is about the size of a 4 or 4.2-inch smartphone. Slightly larger than an iphone, and just a touch smaller than my Galaxy S-2. The control is obviously designed to replicate the SNES controller, and the button layout closely matches the size of on-screen touch controls in SNES emulators. I have very little experience with the Nintendo DS, but I'm guessing it's close to that in how it feels in the hands. It is definately more comfortable to hold than the tiny Game Boy Advance SP. Build quality is acceptible... nowhere near the quality of an original SNES controller, but it is very lightweight. The buttons and D-pad all feel solid and the unit does not rattle when shaken. The L and R trigger buttons feel a bit chincey compared to the others, but they work fine and tend not to be used much, anyway.

In-game response has, so far, been great. I have not noticed any lag, stuck buttons, or other errors. I imagine there will be some issues with all the different combinations of software and hardware people are using, but SuperGNES on my Galaxy S-2 running Android v4 has been excellent. It's such a great feeling to be playing classic games again with real buttons! I have played games on phones with physical keyboards, and the Gametel pad is a drastic improvement over those as well.
on May 16, 2013
the controller is a bit bulky, and the clip is really annoying, however what absolutely kills this product is the D-pad. it is nearly impossible to press just left right up or down. because the d-pad is one large circle it constantly presses left/up or right/down and so on. don't expect to actually control any game you are playing. it is easier to control games with the on screen controller than to fight their D-pad.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 26, 2012
Not only had I been looking far and wide for a controller for my Samsung Galaxy S3 - but was always hopeful of a bluetooth controller for my laptop/pc.
This IS IT.
Glad I put it on my wishlist - and glad "Santa" thought I was good enough this year :)
Although worried at first, it works perfectly with my Samsung Galaxy S3. The retractable "cradle" needs to stretch to the max - the phone fits if you slide it from the side. After pairing with the Samsung, it says it needs a firmware update via your pc, but it is easy enough to do. Not sure if it was meant to improve usage with the phone, but I think it was meant to improve functionality with pc usage.
I must admit, pairing it with the PC was a bit tricky. After a few failed attempts, I checked their website for Q/A's or FAQS. Good thing they have a great website (yes - the same one you visit for the firmware update). After some browsing through it, I learned the controller has 4 modes that you can set it to before you turn it on:
1. Android
2. iOS
3. HID Gamepad
4. HID Keyboard
I think the 1st time I tried pairing it with my pc, it was in Android mode (default?) - and therefore was not working. However, once I tried it on HID Keyboard mode - bingo.
The feel reminds me of a classic Nintendo controller (plus 2) - with the added buttons you'd expect for the trigger fingers - for a total of 6 buttons for playing. The "select" and "start" are intuitively placed where you would expect them. The pad feels and responds as you would expect as well.
Haven't tried it in HID Gamepad mode or iOS yet (can try it on my wife's iphone someday). If it works, I'll ask Amazon to add a 6th star just for this product.
I can't recommend it enough for any Android smartphone user that has MAME4Droid and may also want to use it on their "classic" MAME on pc.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 26, 2012
I've actually been interested in this thing since last year when it was announced at an E3 or something. I looked everywhere for it and finally found it for $100. That was a bit high so I was excited when I found it for only $50 on this very website. You can imagine my glee when the price was lowered a whole $20!($30)
First off, start up was not hard but not too easy either. You have to download the app for Gametel available on the Play Store and App Store. Once the app is downloaded, you can pair the devices together over Bluetooth.
I highly recommend buying this ONLY for emulation. There are not very many good games for the Play Store that are compatible with the controller. After you pair the devices, you will have to map out the buttons for A B and others.
There is absolutely no lag in the gameplay so no problem with the wireless there. The clip to hold the phone is nice, but be cautious in making sure your phone is small enough to fit. The buttons are nice and soft, not hard and noisy. It's not overall 5 star comfortable but its comfortable enough.

UPDATE
After a couple of months with my controller, I've decided to knock off 2 stars for a couple of reasons. First, I've realized over time just how terrible the D pad really is. It has started to creak, and using it can be troublesome when playing games. Battery life is still solid, though. Around 3 weeks with heavy usage. All the other buttons are still fine, but the R and L buttons are uncomfortable to ergonomically
control. Also, after some time, the green light to pair stayed solid and refused to pair with my device. Fortunately Gametel has wonderful customer service and was quickly able to fix my problem. The biggest thing I still love about it is its portability. I might have to sacrifice that though for comfort, because I'm thinking about trying out the MOGA Pro, which resembles a true console control.
on November 14, 2012
Ive owned this device for about a few months now and its great. not without its faults but still a really good investment. first the pros: this thing turned gaming on my phone into a breeze. i use emulators like sgnes (snes) and my boy(gba), and gbc emus etc, and the touch screen controls that come with these emus ARE WORTHLESS! pairing it is easy and attatching it fits perfect on my exhibit ii.ive never ran out of battery so i guess i can say it had good battery life. some cons: ....the dpad...why....the circle pad? a cross would have been awesome. it works well, but sometimes i noticed for games like street fighter its a pain to do the hado kin.but for any other of my favs its great.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 2, 2012
I've only had this for a day but it works very well on my Nexus S 4G.
I got this to use with console emulators and it does the job. The one caveat is that my phone seems to be about the max size the gripper can hold. People with larger phones may want to consider this before purchasing
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 14, 2014
I was plenty satisfied with my Gametel Controller when I purchased it almost a year ago. It played emulators and Playstore games for my phone as best as any circle pad controller would do. Inputs were often sloppy for the directions leading to many frustrations with classic fighting games and- pretty much anything requiring precise input. It survived car rides, plane rides, and long waits in line and at offices. It wasn't until recently that I became disappointed with my controller.

The battery light flashed as if its internal battery was dying/dead the other week, so I plugged it into the same cell phone charger I had been using since its purchase. It charged overnight for the first time since I forgot to unplug it before going to bed. Unplugging it the next morning I took it with me and came to a moment to finally play a nostalgic title I had been recently talking about and began to crave: The Legend of Zelda. This classic NES title was something I last played years ago on the original system, so I needed to scratch this itch! I went to synchronize the Gametel controller via Bluetooth to my phone when it blinked the same "low battery" indication. I figured, "Maybe I plugged it in but forgot to hook it to the wall". I got back home for the day and let it charge a good three hours before trying again.

Unfortunately, I wasn't going to be playing The Legend of Zelda anytime soon unless I wanted to block half the screen with my thumbs by using the touchscreen controls. My brothers both have the basic MOGA Mobile Gaming System for Android 2.3+. While I had the advantage of a rechargeable battery system, they had an actual D-pad and an additional circle pad to boot! They only needed to buy rechargeable AAA batteries, and now they are still playing despite having bought theirs before mine. Looks like I may get one as well. If your pinching pennies and not a hardcore gamer, perhaps this may work for you. Otherwise, MLG Pros, look elsewhere.
on July 18, 2013
Controllers for the iPhone basically only work when they are emulating the iCade, or the dodgy blutrol touchscreen emulator. The iCade has one digital joystick and 8 buttons. I got the iPega, which inexplicably only emulates 6 buttons in spite of the iPega having a d-pad, two joysticks and 8 buttons.
The Gametel supports all 8 buttons, making it a step above the iPega in that regard. However, the iPega is more comfortable to hold. On the iPega, you can use either the d-pad or the left joystick, and they are both fairly comfortable. The Gametel's d-pad is very flat and resistant to motion. The shoulder buttons are also tricky to press when the phone is mounted. It's still infinitely better than a touchscreen.
I tried both the Gametel and the iPega with a Gameboy Advance emulator. Either the emulator or the controllers have a problem with protecting against rapid button presses. When pressing a button on the iCade, the emulator would detect it as though I had rapidly pressed the button two or three times in the millisecond that I pushed it even though the button was not a turbo button. This problem was not nearly as bad on the Gametel, though it did exist.
Speaking of phone mounts, the Gametel and iPega have the exact same phone mount mechanism. The Gametel uses a smoother, squishier material, unlike the iPega which uses plastic. The phone mount is great. You lift up the top part and then push the phone up against it. The bottom clamp then opens automatically, letting you slide the phone in without any fumbling. Then the top part closes back down once you let it go and the phone stays in place firmly. To take the phone out you just push up on the phone and slide it out from the bottom once it's away from the clamp, so getting it in and out is a quick and easy process.
The controller and mount are also shaped to support the phone from the back for both the Gametel and iPega so it is not uncomfortable to hold the phone up. The iControlPad has the issue of requiring you to hold the bottom part of the phone because the iCP doesn't support the phone from the back at all and the shoulder buttons are on the lower back, making it really unpleasant to hold up when the phone is attached.
Suffice to say both the iPega and Gametel are good options for different reasons. The iPega is the better option if you have an Android phone because it has two joysticks and is more comfortable. I have an iPhone, which means the controllers only work in iCade mode. The Gametel does that better due to using all 8 buttons instead of 6.
on August 12, 2015
decent product, decent price, shipped fast, no complaints
on January 11, 2013
LOVE this, definitely the best and reasonably priced gamepad you can buy for your phone or tablet. It pairs up pretty easily, and so far I've used it for about 10 hours or so and haven't had to charge it yet. After it's paired, you just turn on the gamepad and your phone recognizes it immediately and prompts you to change the input device, no need to re-pair. You need to download the app on your phone or tablet first to be able to use it, and you'll likely need to plug it into your computer to update the firmware when you first get it(you can go on the Gametel website for instructions). Works great with epsxe on my android, and it actually fits my S2, even with the humongous Q-cell extended battery I have. I highly recommend this if you use emulators. No more ugly digital controls blocking the screen whilst I play.

One thing: I prefer having regular up/down/right/left controls similar to the PS3 controller, rather than the dpad on this controller. For example, it's too easy to veer up/left accidentally when meaning to simply press 'left', if that makes sense. All in all though, a great gamepad.