• Loot

Loot
Price:$9.99 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on February 23, 2006
I bought this game on the fly cause the cover illustration looked so interesting that I couldn't resist. The instructions were a little confusing to understand at first, but once gameplay started it was picked up pretty easy and much fun was enjoyed by everyone. The game is geared for those ages 10 and up, but it was so easy to understand and so much fun, that my 8 year old neice was able to play without teaming up with an adult. The game promotes math skills which is a HUGE plus since many games today are only about fun. This game has it all, fun, education and the artwork on the cards is fantastic. When we played, we threw in chocolate gold pieces so we'd have real pirate plunder and everyone had to speak like a pirate. It's a really great way to spend quality time with your family and it's fun for all ages!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 22, 2008
A previous reviewer of this game who claimed that there is a flaw in its rules was incorrect. That reviewer wrote: "The problem is one person can basically just wait the other person out and keep drawing cards and rarely ever play until the deck is out. Then at the end, that player will still have cards after the other player has long run out, meaning that they just lay down merchant ships and collect them." Actually, that would be impossible if the game's printed instructions are followed. They state that "The game ends when the draw pile has been depleted and one player has played his last card." In other words, as soon as the draw pile is gone and one player is out of cards, the game ends. And even more importantly, players at that point who are stuck with merchant-ship cards in their hands have to DEDUCT those cards' values from their score! Here is that part of the instructions: "Total all of the gold coins from the merchant ships you've won, then deduct the number of gold coins from the merchant ships still in your hand at the end of the game." Those rules make it pointless to try waiting out the other player by hoarding cards, because the hoarder risks getting stuck with them at the end of the game and paying a heavy penalty. (I wanted to point these things out because this really is a great game, and I don't want anyone to hesitate about buying it due to misinformation! Yo-ho-ho!)
on September 29, 2006
Friends from out of town introduced us to this game, and the time passes so quickly with this game. The instuctions are a little laborious, but once you start playing everyone catches on. It's a strategy game at several levels. The cards have 1) pictures of merchant ships with differing levels of loot (gold pieces) 2) pirate ships at various 'power' levels and 3) pirate admirals (trump card, effectively.) As the game progresses players attempt to capture other players' merchies and maximize gold pieces while trying to prevent their own merchies from being captured.

Trust me, it's fun for the family. And of course, everyone can talk like a pirate.
on April 22, 2008
I've played Loot with many different people, some were serious gamers, others not so much. Loot appeals to a large audience for a number of reasons. At about 20 minutes per game, it's fast to play and doesn't get bogged down in intricate rules or game mechanics. It's also a good balance between luck and strategy. Plus, who doesn't like pirates?

The premise of the game is to capture merchant ships by attacking them with pirate ships. Both types of ships have varying card values, plus there are some trump cards. The strategy is determining which ships to go after and how much you want to fight for them.

This is a great card game at a reasonable price. The card design is very cartoonish, which is great for younger players. My only complaint is that the colors used to distinguish the 4 sets of pirates should have been more contrasting. The purple, navy, and dark green look awfully similar.
on July 6, 2011
Overall:
I love games that have simple rules but extensive strategy with a hint of random for fun. This game fits does all three. The game has fun aspects that a whole family with kids can enjoy.

Rules:
The rules of loot are simple. Players take turns either drawing a card from the deck, or by playing either a merchant or one of four colored pirate ships from their hand. Each merchant or pirate ship has a set attack strength (Pirates) or value (Merchant). If a merchant ship is placed in the playing field all of the other players have a opportunity to attack a merchant ship with a pirate or to place their own merchant ship. If a player attacks a merchant ship with a pirate, then no other player playing after can attack with a pirate of the same color. The player who attacks the merchant with the most amount of pirate points, and no one else has attacked in 1 round wins the merchant ship (and the gold value).

The rules are simple enough that our 6 year old can play and enjoy the game.

Winning:
When all of the cards are gone and one player can no longer play (ran out of cards) then the points of the merchants that each player has collected are tallied. The individual with the most merchant points wins.

Strategy:
The strategy of the game comes in knowing when to play each card type. After a merchant is payed should you play another merchant? (merchants that remain un attacked for one round go to the original player) Do you play a high point pirate (there are limited high point cards) or do you build your deck? Running out of cards in this game can be detrimental so working on when to hold em and when to fold em is crucial.

Random:
This game gets its random aspects from the card shuffling. This provides an unknown of what player has what cards, and if one draws what card will come up. The number of cards is high enough that the probability of 'luck' alone winning a game is low, but card count is low enough to ensure the game progresses quickly.
on December 28, 2006
I bought this game to play with my nephews. It's a fun game that utilizes strategy and a bit of luck. The instructions for the game are a bit confusing and the adults had to read them multiple times before beginning to play. After a few games, the concept clicked. My 9 year old nephew loves the game. It was too challenging for his 7 year old brother at first, but after a few games, he too was able to play.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon January 18, 2009
Ever want to be a pirate, sail the seas, and collect gold by attacking unwary merchant ships? Well, mateys, this is your chance!

This is a fun card game where up to 8 players can be competing pirate captains fighting each other for merchant ships carrying cargoes worth between 2 and 8 pieces of gold. You have to decide whether to use your pirate ship cards to attack merchant ships worth more pieces of gold, knowing that other pirates will do likewise, or to use your pirate ships to attack merchants worth fewer pieces of gold, but which you are more likely to win.

When things get really tough, and if you are lucky enough to get one, you can play one of the four pirate captain cards in the game to capture a ship, or the sole admiral card to protect a merchant ship.

Individual play pits all players against each other, but success in that method of play seems to rely much more heavily on the group of cards you happen to draw than on any predictable strategy you may have. The team play version of this game, however, allows you to employ more devious and effective strategies, though the luck of the draw still comes into play.

This is a fun game that even younger children (our 9-yr-old does quite well) can enjoy with the rest of the family.

Once you play this game a time or two, especially using the team rules you'll see why it is a Mensa Select game.

One last thing, I find the cards themselves to be a bit flimsy, thus less than 5 stars for durability.

So, avast and ahoy! Try ye this game or face a walk on the plank!

5 stars for fun, but only 4 stars for the high degree of chance introduced by the luck of the draw, and for flimsy cards.

Have fun!
on March 25, 2008
I picked this item up at the store simply because I like pirates! The game is a lot of fun and we have played with 2, 3, 4, & 5 players (I believe you can play with up to 8). It gets interesting when you have 4 or 5 (or more?) players because you may end up having to choose which ship to plunder! It is a strategic game, though we haven't figured out a 'great' strategy yet (and it seems to change depending on the number of players)! We try different ones each time. The colors can be a bit hard to tell from one another sometimes, but the cards do contain some beautiful art. Each game lasts 5-10min. Our age group we play in consists of 25-30 years.
on November 19, 2012
I'm surprised at the number of positive reviews.

The best, and maybe only good thing, is the artwork on the cards...the pirates are funny looking.

But this is a rather boring game that has almost no replay value. It's just same old same old each time. Our son liked it for a while (around age 10) but we're glad to not have this in our house any more.

If you are looking for a fun card game you can play with kids, here are a couple games we prefer significantly to Loot:

Dominion
Five Crowns
Wizard
Flux
Kuuduk
Bohnanza
Citadels
Monopoly Deal
7 Wonders (I'm stretching the definition of "card game" a bit, but this is a great game too.)

If you have a TON of games, playing this once or twice a year won't kill you, but why buy this when there are better games?

(If you've never tried Dominion, get the original...we can play for HOURS on end.)
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 14, 2011
I purchased this game, along with Sleeping Queens, for my son and daughter at the end of the school year, envisioning our family playing some fun, new family games over the summer vacation. Sleeping Queens was a hit, but this game not so much. The primary reason for this is the directions that come with it. Had I not sat and read over them quite a bit in advance and very slowly played the first game with my family, it would never have been played by anyone. My son is too lazy to bother with reading directions, and my wife is too impatient to bother taking the time to learn a new game on her own. So, those two members of my family will only play a new game is someone who already knows how to play it sits and teaches them to play. That's where I come in.

While I liked the concept behind the game and the nicely-illustrated cards, I found the directions to be poorly laid out and a bit hard to comprehend. This is not good for a game that seems squarely aimed at kids. It's hard for me to imagine many kids who would be willing to take the time to carefully read and re-read the instructions for ANY game, unless it is one they are super-excited about. These days, that would more-often-than-not be a video game, and not a card game like Loot.

While the game seems fun enough, the extensive time it took to learn to play was a bit of a turnoff for me, and a major turn-off for my family. In time, after more play-throughs of this game, maybe my family will enjoy it more. For now, though, this is not a game they seem drawn to, and that, for me, was disappointing.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...