Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Zeus on the Loose
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Lori Mckenna Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM

VINE VOICEon June 17, 2007
I bought this game when my nephew (age 9) was visiting for rainy days. This game was a ton of fun! My nephew, already into mythology, loved the fact you could "steal Zeus". The actual game play is very educational (adding/subtracting) and if you're smart, you use strategy to win the game. The drawings of the gods/goddesses are very cute and we got a kick out of the Zeus statue (looks just like the guy on the box). Some games aren't that easy to learn straight out of the box, but this one was straight forward and simple to learn, my nephew picked it up right away and therefore didn't get frustrated trying to learn rules. However, just because the game seems straightforward and simple...it's not as easy as it looks! Highly recommend this game to anyone w/kids around 8+!
on February 9, 2007
My 5 & 9 year old boys love this game and so do I! We enjoy stealing Zeus from each other and seeing how fast we can "climb" Mount Olympus. I like that they're hearing and using mythological names and that my oldest works on quick adding and subtracting. My youngest boy needs one of us to add/subtract right now, but he gets to practice recognizing numbers. We love Gamewright games and have previously played Frog Juice, Rat-a-Tat Cat, Hissss, Snap, Feed the Kitty, and Leaping Lizards. This has been one of the boys' favorites because of the "stealing" and fast pace.
on February 2, 2008
I'm a speech pathologist and the kids I work with love this game. Younger students practice their math skills by keeping a total of Mt. Olympus (on paper), while older students enjoy the challenge of remembering the total as the game is played. A great game for elementary-aged kids.
on November 30, 2010
This game is a lot of fun! I bought it thinking it would be a good travel game -- which it is, but what I didn't realize was what an incredible education game it is also. As a teacher, I have used this game constantly in my class and all of my kids love it. Beyond all the math, there is a lot of strategy to the game which keeps it interesting.

It does help if an adult plays to help keep track of where Mt. Olympus is and to keep the math correct. My third graders aren't very successful playing it by themselves, but fifth and six graders usually are.

This year, I also realized that it can be used for both addition and subtraction. To use it as a subtraction game, we start at 100 and work backwards. Hera goes to 1 instead of 99 and Posiedon adds 10 rather than subtracts.
on December 28, 2010
We have several Gamewright card games and just adore some of them. But Zeus on the Loose just hasn't been that fun for our family (girls 9 and 6). The balance of luck vs. skill vs. all-out-wanting-to-win just doesn't make it. My daughter is a big Percy Jackson fan, so the Greek Myth angle was huge for her, but not enough for her to choose to play this over other favorites, like Sleeping Queens.
on December 4, 2009
Got several of these for my 7th grade students to play at the end of our mythology unit. They LOVED playing it and didn't even notice how much math they were doing while playing the game. Was fun to hear them say things like "Hera - in your face" to other kids. Would have to say that the cards are made of pretty cheap materials (will have to replace the games every couple of years), but so fun and educational. Had several of the kids say that they are adding it to their Christmas lists.
on July 5, 2012
Zeus on the Loose is a very fast paced card game. The Zeus statue flies around the table like crazy. In fact, it probably takes more time to actually swap the statue around than to take your turn. You slap cards down at a frenzy like Crazy 8s... except there's a good bit of math involved here. You have to round up to the nearest multiple of ten quite often. The goal of the game is to get the card pile known as "Mount Olympus" up to 100 or more with Zeus in your posession. You do this by playing number cards, trying to make each move come out to a multiple of 10 so you can steal or keep Zeus. There are many character cards as well that do various actions such as swapping the number of Mount Olympus around, skipping players, or making the count go to 50 or 99 (Hera does the 99 one). Each of these cards has a different god or goddess on it (such as Hera). The pace is fast, and your addition skills need to be sharp as a razor to stay on top of things. My 5 year old struggles with this and needs a great deal of help, and the 7 year old does fine but often forgets to draw her card after her turn.

I enjoy the frenzied pace of the game myself but both of the kids are not as enthusiastic and prefer slower, more strategic games where you mull over your strategy such as Horse Show and Sleeping Queens. It is a fun game, and those that are looking for something that moves at a breakneck pace will be well pleased with this purchase. The cards are of high quality and the Zeus statue (though in a single color - without painted details) is well made. It's a good game to break out now and then on game nights.
on February 20, 2011
This is a fun game for my 2nd grader to practice his adding while having a good time. He also likes memorizing the Gods Zeus, Aphrodite, Hera, Poseidon, Hermes, Athena, Artemes, Ares and Apollo. It's easy to learn and play. The balance of skill and luck make it exciting and unpredictable. We are always impressed with the creativitiy of Gamewrights games.
on November 19, 2007
This is one of many Gamewright games I've gotten to play with my kids, and is one of my very favorites! It is simple, you try to get Mt. Olympus (the discard pile) to add up to 100, and have Zeus with you when it gets there. Full of fun card like reverse the total, subtract 10, round to the nearest 10 along with the regular numbered cards. It's so much fun that you forget that your kid is using their math skills. My husband is a teacher and plays this in his classroom. You can't go wrong with this game!
on January 18, 2014
However, this game is a bit monotonous. Great when learning multiples of 10 and adding numbers quickly and mentally but the concept gets old rather quickly. We still pull it out every now and again but Gamewright has much better options.