Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

on July 5, 2011
I know this game is intended for young children, so many will frown upon this review, BUT there are plenty of games out there that are just as fun for young children as is for adults. The only two children that are halfway interested in playing this game are my 4 and 6 yr olds. Everyone else (8 and up) runs when this one comes off the shelf. It's ALL luck... absolutely no strategy at all. No educational value either other than ordering numbers from 1-6. "Rat a Tat Cat" is an example of a card game (also by Gamewright)that my whole family enjoys playing. It combines luck with strategy, memory, and the educational value of learning how to add 4 numbers together (my 4 yr old has learned how to do this). I highly recommend "Rat a Tat Cat"

If you are looking for an easy, no thinking game, for very young children (6 and under), then "Too Many Monkeys" may be a game you'd be interested in.

*update... Also you should check out "Frog Juice" by Gamewright. This is another game that all my kids (ages 4-21) enjoy playing. We bought two decks and play both decks with 8 people playing.

*Another recommendation is "Sleeping Queens" by Gamewright.
33 comments115 of 117 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 23, 2011
We got a small version of this game as a Sonic Kid's Meal toy. We played that so much I thought it would be good to buy the full version. After not finding it at any stores (walmart, target, toys r us) I bought it online and the full version is SO MUCH BETTER! My 4 year old loves this game, it takes about 15 per game so we play a few times before bedtime. I would say if your child knows how to count to 6 they would LOVE this game. There is not too much stradegy in the gameplay, the basic rules are that you lay 6 cards face down in front of each player. You draw a card and whatever number monkey you draw you start at 1 end of your facedown cards count to the numbered card and replace the card you drew with the facedown card. When you have the facedown card in your hand if you have another numbered monkey you do the same with that number. And THATS IT! It's not too difficult and there are other special cards (skip, turn is over, wild, draw from discard pile) but none of them are too crazy where the gameplay is changed drastically. I recommend this game to all kids who can count to 6...lol.
on February 9, 2010
Every house should have this game. It keeps the interest for all, from age 4 to 104. It's fast, quick, and fun. I can't remember the age recommendations but any child than can put 6 cards in counting order can play this game. Don't let the simplicity of counting 1 - 6 throw you off.....it's GREAT!
on February 2, 2010
We bought this card game for our 5 year old son. He loves it! Our 7 year old daughter enjoys it also. We can even get out 12 and 13 year old children to play!! We love games in our family, and this one has been a big hit since Christmas! Enjoy!
on October 6, 2011
This game is hilarious for kids and adults. I've used this in therapy with children from 5 yes. old and up. I've taken it to "girls' weekend and had real laugh fests with it. With little ones I often leave out the "skip" and "do not disturb" cards. It's just as much fun that way. This is truly a simple, fun game that's worth having!
on November 25, 2012
I bought this card game to occupy 4 under 8 year olds at Thanksgiving. It more than fulfilled that purpose. The kids returned to the game frequently, and the four year old had as much fun as the 8 year old. Even the adults who joined in enjoyed it.
on November 2, 2010
Gamewright games are well thought out and fun. I purchased this for a nephew who was just a little bit too young for it, and didn't want to do all the counting. We'll see how he does with it next year.
on November 20, 2010
A cute little game for our 5 and 7 year old grand-sons. Easily understood but interesting enough to hold their attention. Highly recommended as a worthwhile and inexpensive addition to the library.
on December 28, 2013
We love Gamewright and have a nice collection of their card games. Unfortunately, Too Many Monkeys missed the mark for my 6-year-old.

The game is simple. You must be the first to have an ordered row of monkeys (numbered 1-6) face up in front of you. Once this happens, the round is over and you start a new round dealing the winner one less card. The object is to be the first player with only one card in front of you and then you have to draw the card with one monkey to win. Explaining this game is more complicated than the actual game play.

Too Many Monkeys is mainly luck-based. Your turn ends when you can't make any more moves. A player will draw a card that kicks of a fast-paced card flipping chain of events. For each numbered monkey you flip over, you can place it in the appropriate spot on the "card line" in front of you. You can end up swapping several cards in a row...and it is possible to win a round on the very first turn if you've had a lucky deal.

The game doesn't capture the attention of my 6-year-old. We may play the game for one round, but beyond that the repetition and short rounds get boring. I feel like my 6-year-old would have enjoyed this more when she was 4. Personally, I like the game and the illustrations are adorable.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 12, 2012
I bought this game as a stocking stuffer for my four and a half year old. I had read previous negative reviews, but figured with the cheap price I wouldn't really worry too much if it was a bust. My family of four now plays at least weekly and have a great time. There is no strategy to this game, it is all luck, but somehow, its still a lot of fun. It does teach a little about numbers and order, but for the most part, it is simply a game of drawing cards and hoping you get the right ones. This is a great option for families with young children that want to start the habit of playing games together. The adults don't have to "play dumb" to lose, and in most cases, each family member will win at least a round or two during the game, so regardless of who wins the overall game, every child should at least be happy they won a round. Somehow, this winning a round or two seems to take the sting out of losing the whole game for some kids. As for the quality of the box and cards; the box is fairly durable, but the cards might be a little flimsier than I would like. With that said, we have been playing for about two months and don't have any issues with the cards yet. I just don't see them lasting for a long time though. But, since the game was under ten dollars, I am not worried about it.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse