5.0 out of 5 stars An exciting fantasy game for young readers
My family received this game as a gift and it has gone over very well with my children, 8 and 6 years old. There is quite a bit of text, but the cards' artwork is distinct and easy to remember. My 6-year-old played through a game or two partnered with a parent and she soon had no trouble holding her own.

From an entertainment perspective, the theme is...
Published on January 6, 2012 by Matthew Moberly

3.0 out of 5 stars Looks like a good family game night kind of game
My gaming group's only played this twice so far, but I don't really see this being a regular game compared to the likes of Elder SIgn or Pandemic. As far as games go, it's amusing enough, but I think this would be best off with family gaming - it's quirky enough to keep adults interested while being easy enough (yet challenging!) that kids will enjoy it.
Published 17 months ago by unsatisfied user

5.0 out of 5 stars An exciting fantasy game for young readers, January 6, 2012
This review is from: Gubs (Toy)

From an entertainment perspective, the theme is charming, the art is fantastic and the action is fast-paced. Gubs move often between players, but the game is not completely random - players' efforts to hold on to their gubs and slow other players' progress do have an impact.

From an educational perspective, the game teaches great lessons about timing, hidden vs. public information, and keeping track of resources. For nearly every protective measure you can take to hold on to your gubs, there is a card in the deck that can undo your hard work, so the observant player must watch the discard pile to know when it is safe to bring out his best cards.

Our games typically last 15 minutes. The whole family has fun and a session of Gubs is requested before bed several times a week by our kids. It's a hit!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent game!, December 23, 2011
Nell (California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gubs (Toy)
I can't believe this only has two reviews! We've been playing two or three games a night with our seven year old son, and we are all entertained. We found that we needed to play it a couple of times to really get the rules down, but our child now plays with no help and loves the game. The adults like it almost as much -- certainly one of the better games for kids. It is going to the top of my list for birthday gifts, and while it is too late for 2011, this would make a great stocking stuffer too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, December 27, 2011
Sarassheena "Sara" (people's republic of Boulder, CO) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gubs (Toy)
Bought this for Christmas game for my adult children and I and we played it 4 times in a row. Takes awhile to get all the cards and what they do so they have a nice cheat sheet which I would recommend printing a couple off of. Today 21 year old reports that he and 5 of his friends played it last night and they had a blast. So there you have it.
I'm still figuring out how to get the most Gubs. Just when you think you have it won, boom, you are back to zero.

I would have to agree with previous poster as to games that Gamewright puts out are all top notch.

They have a website as well. Give them a look. Gubs

5.0 out of 5 stars Competative Scrumgetavive, March 4, 2012
This review is from: Gubs (Toy)
I was starting to not enjoy playing games with my 10-14 year old niece and nephew because they were getting so competative about winning!!! It was becoming miserable. I love them both so much but I was about to kill them. Then last Xmas I think my sister got them this game. It was a little intimidating at first but we decided to dive in and figure it out as we went, keeping the instructions handy to figure what each cards does. OMG!!!!! When I played the card that made my niece have to hand over her entire hand I thought she was going to kill me. I laughed so hard!!!! It was really, really awesome to see the smile slowly creep onto her face as she finally realized what games are really all about. Buy it for your pre-teens. If they don't like it it's because they don't know how to loose. 25% skill and 75% luck, just like life. Then she used the card on me! AARRRrggghghghhhhhhh!

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of fun, but luck outweighs strategy, November 7, 2012
This review is from: Gubs (Toy)
I don't have any kids- buy my close family loves games. I got this after falling in love with another Gamewright title called Forbidden Island. The first time I played, it was with my wife, sister, & brother in law. We were confused for the first game, since the rules are so arbitrary and the premise is so contrived, but after that first game we figured out the strategy and the names and rules started making sense. We still consulted the quick guide constantly, but we were having fun.

Then came the problem: strategy means very little. My brother in law had stocked up on every trump card in the game and we were all trying to take him down, but whatever we played, he cancelled it. It was towards the end of the game and we expected him to win. That was until the event cards came. Pretty soon he lost all the points he earned, and all the cards in his hand. My wife (who had been losing terribly the whole game) ended up winning.
Needless to say, my brother in law felt like it didn't matter how well he played, and my wife felt like she didn't earn it. Yes, that is just one game, but I've played dozens and you never quite feel like you're safe-- and you shouldn't-- the game itself says its a game of luck and nobody's safe till the last card falls. But for a strategy game, you kind of hope for more strategy.

All that to say, I still give it 4 stars because the quality of this game is top notch, and for kids it probably is great. For adults (for whom this game never claims to be), it leaves a bit to be desired.

Pros
-Delightfully creative and imaginative
-Not too long, not too short
-Tons of fun
-Simple enough for kids, but tricky enough for adults

Cons
-Multiple game changing events are inevitable and sometimes leave you cynical
-Sometimes confusing

Overall I am still excited to play this game, but all party's come into it know it's a game of luck as well as strategy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Packaged Gem of a Game., December 10, 2011
This review is from: Gubs (Toy)
I tip my hat off to GameWright for making elegant well priced games. One being GUBS, this game is a fantastic time burner. The rules are not complicated and it plays well with 2+ players. You get one deck of cards packaged into a colorful tin. All in all this game looks nice and plays well. I would highly recommend that you pick up this great filler game.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Quick Strategy Game (With A Sense of Humor), October 12, 2011
Matt Alexander (New York, New York) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gubs (Toy)
If you've been looking for an ACCESSIBLE strategy game that you can play with experienced or new players, this is it. The game play is full of creative strategy and surprising challenges, but it's not overwhelming. (Plus, one of the hazard cards is called "Rumor of Wasps." How can you not love that?)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for my son, who has learning disabilities, December 25, 2013
This review is from: Gubs (Toy)
My son (age 12) has autism (high functioning/aspergers), ADHD, anxiety disorder-NOS, a slow processing speed (5th percentile), a high verbal IQ, and non-verbal learning disorder (NVLD). This alphabet soup of diagnoses means that games are a tremendous challenge for him. the NVLD means that he has difficulty with numbers and spatial orientation. Many games involve numbers, and board games all have a spatial orientation aspect which means that he has difficulty with the basic principles upon which most games are based. Games also involve taking turns--tough for a kid who is impulsive. And, it is hard to maintain attention during the turns of others when what they are doing isn't interesting, so my son never knows when it is his turn.

Enter Gubs. Gubs is a card game that is verbally based. The goal is to get the most gubs "in play" (on the table in front of you) by the end of the game in order to win. Gubs can be killed by spears, lured by crystals, enticed by golden rings that trap them, stuck in sticky bubbles that trap them, stolen by thieves. They can be protected under "barricades"--mushrooms or velvet moths, or toads. Then, of course, there are all of the various events that can happen--a cyclone might come and blow away all of the barricades, unprotecting a player's gubs. A flash flood might come and wash all unprotected gubs ("free gubs") back into the deck. There are events that attack barricades, killing off all of the toads. Then there is the traveling merchant, which forces all hands to be passed to the right. In the meantime, the effects of various lures, hazards and traps can be counteracted by feathers that sweep them away, blindfolds, a curing potion, or magical flutes. All of these things happen on cards. And, they happen at any speed--fast play is not required. To play the game, one gradually learns what the cards all do (when one is first playing, there is lots of reading of the "card guide" that comes with the game to figure out what to do with the various cards in one's hand--though each card also has most needed information on it).

What does this mean for my son? First Gubs is very VERBAL (as he is), and very IMAGINATIVE. My son loves imaginative stories, and every game of gubs is, in a sense, a new, and unique imaginative story whose outcome is unknown. There are no numbers and no spatial element to Gubs. Unlike many other verbal games we have tried to play (an example is Apples to Apples, which is a great game, but not for my son), each person's turn is potentially interesting because what happens may directly impact other players because a player may use traps or spears or lures or put more Gubs into play, or unwittingly initiate a cataclysmic event. And, there is a great deal of luck involved, along with skill and strategy, so often a kid wins. Finally, there is time--each individual takes the time needed to complete his or her turn.

I think the game would, of course, be challenging to any child who doesn't like losing, because losing is always possible and Gubs is pretty unpredictable. But, for a kid who is a good sport, that unpredictability and the silliness of it makes the game lots of fun, and things can turn around in different directions during the game, more than once.

It takes about 20 minutes to play a whole game of Gubs, for 2-6 players.

That's all for now--it's time for us to play again! :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Cleverness and Luck, December 28, 2012
This review is from: Gubs (Toy)
"A secretive bunch, Gubs hide from danger within hollow tree stumps and forest underbrush. They are a peaceful folk. They spend their days building up cities of mushroom homes and traveling about upon Velvet Moths or Toads in search of valuable Lure treasures. But their world is full of hazards, each more deadly than the last, and only cleverness and luck can see them through. This is the ongoing struggle of the Gubs." Gubs

My nine year old granddaughter loves games and every time I come to visit we play. 3-4 different games a night. She learned to play Gubs with a friend and just loved it. I gave her this game for Christmas, and we had such a good time! Usually her mom and dad play with us. This can be confusing at first, but after playing a couple of games, you should catch on quickly! Keep the directions close and have such a good time!

The GUBS card game is a game of wit and luck. With a single GUBs deck, up to 6 players of ages 10 and up can enjoy a fast-paced, hilarious game filled with all sorts of creative card combos.To win, you must be the player with the most Gubs when the game ends. Easy to learn and to play, GUBS is an amazingly replayable game with new strategies just waiting to be discovered!

Highly Recommended. prisrob 12-28-12

5.0 out of 5 stars Gubs is a great game!, March 15, 2012
This review is from: Gubs (Toy)
Everybody loves Gubs. From my young cousins, to my grandparents, to friends who "hate card games", all of them love playing Gubs, and keep coming back for more.

Gubs