5.0 out of 5 stars Great game!
Published on September 28, 2006 by PhotoMama

2.0 out of 5 stars Consider other beginner games first!
Published on February 23, 2010 by E. Huinda

5.0 out of 5 stars Great game!, September 28, 2006
This review is from: Feed The Kitty (Toy)
We bought this game to play with our sons (ages 3 and 5) and they love it! It's easy to learn, quick to play, and a lot of fun. And unlike some of the kid games out there, it's not mind numblingly dumb or boring. Our boys love being able to roll the dice each time--and believe it or not, this is one of two games we own where there are no tantrums over who won and who lost. They just ask to play again, again, again!

It's even good for kids who aren't counting very high, and both the kids are engaged while we play. There are probably more educational games around, but this one is just plain fun. :)

A quick 'how to' for this game:

Roll the two dice.

Sleeping kitty - do nothing

Arrow - pass one of your mice to the person on your left

Mouse - take a mouse from the bowl

Food bowl - feed the kitty one of your mice

So if you roll an arrow and a food bowl, you pass one mouse to the left and put one in the bowl. The last person with mice left wins. Very simple to play and as I said up above, it's a quick moving game--no time to get bored.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great prereader game, February 18, 2007
This review is from: Feed The Kitty (Toy)
It's fun to find unusual prereader games, and since we have a four-year-old "cat person" at home, this was perfect. The directions are easy, and even humorous (the person with the shortest pinky goes first). The game is fast-paced and ends at a time that suits the attention span. The cat dish is a little on the flimsy side, but is easily enough replaced by any old bowl from home if it splits. And we think the purple wooden mice are a scream. This is a perfect after-dinner game to play when you just want a short game that doesn't get everyone too wound up before getting ready for bed.

2.0 out of 5 stars Consider other beginner games first!, February 23, 2010
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Feed The Kitty (Toy)
I bought this game for our 4-year-old twins along with a few other beginner games based on other customer reviews. Suffice it to say, this game is quite boring for our entire family. I was expecting something slightly more than put a mouse in the bowl or pass a mouse to the person beside you. The game can drag on and on...ughh. Our boys played it once and that was the end of that!
However, they LOVE the other games I bought. They've gotten far more enjoyment out of Hiss, Pirate Pop Up, and Slamwich (we play the simplified version of Slamwich). If you are looking only to teach your kids how to roll dice and take turns (lots of turns) then this game fits the bill. If you are looking for anything that teaches a bit of strategy or has some fun to it, look elsewhere first!

2.0 out of 5 stars Four year old purrs while I hiss., November 20, 2007
= Durability:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Feed The Kitty (Toy)
This is a very attractive game. Cool cover art. Neat purple wooden mice and two fun dice with a sleeping cats, dinner bowls, and left pointing arrows. You basically take turns rolling these dice and either: doing nothing, giving a mouse to the player on your left, taking a mouse from the dinner bowl, or putting a mouse in the dinner bowl.

That's all there is to it. There is no strategy whatsoever and no where to grow once you master the mechanics of rolling dice and moving mice. My four-year-old has wanted to play it once since we bought it, but to me it's a very tiring ordeal. I envy the cats sleeping on the dice.

This game is good for teaching very young children how to take turns and roll dice, but not a whole lot more. Just think that when you buy a game this simple for young children, you will likely have to play it with them, over and over and over.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great first game, September 28, 2008
This review is from: Feed The Kitty (Toy)
Feed the Kitty is a great game for teaching basic counting skills and turn taking. I love the simplicity of the rules of this game as my 3 children play it together and are able to understand what they are supposed to do. That greatly cuts down on arguments. True it is a pretty basic game, but once they tire of playing with it they like to "feed" the wooden mice to their stuffed cats so it gets plenty of play value as long as they don't loose the mice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Game For Kids!, January 18, 2007
This review is from: Feed The Kitty (Toy)
This is a simple yet active game that keeps children involved and interested. They love to roll the dice and the instrucitons and rules could not be easier. I would recommend this game to anyone with small children!

5.0 out of 5 stars Really fun game for kids 2-8, January 4, 2010
This review is from: Feed The Kitty (Toy)
My children love this game! They are 2, 4, and 6 years old. They are able to play the game with just the three of them, with no adult intervention (the 6 year old leading the play, but we sometimes play too!). It is really cute, and yes, very similar to LCR, which we also have. It is great for the kids because they can easily pick up on reading the dice, which have pictures. I bought this game for my nieces and nephews for the holidays after seeing how much my kids love it. They are way more excited to play this game than LCR because it is very cute - little wooden mice instead of chips etc. My only complaint would be that the ante bowl is a "cat bowl" made out of pretty cheap plastic - I am sure that it won't last long, but it isn't truly necessary to the game.

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple game for your preschooler, April 22, 2007
Pillie (West Salem, WI USA) - See all my reviews
I bought this game recently for my four year-old girl. I hadn't heard of it before but took a chance based on the recommendation on the front from the Oppenheimer Toy Portfolio, a source I frequently use when choosing toys/books, etc for my daughter. Luckily this turned out to be a very fun game for her age. It's very simple, no strategies involved, and lasts about 10-15 minutes per game. Winning this game is purely based on the roll on the dice. The pictures on the dice when rolled determine what moves a player should make, ie. sleeping kitty (do nothing), arrow sign (give player to your left a mouse), kitty bowl (put a mouse in the kitty bowl), & a mouse (take a mouse from the kitty bowl). The player holding the last mouse wins. The pieces are cute and the little purple wooden mice are very sturdy. The only reason I gave this 4 stars vs. 5, being that the mice are likely to get lost/misplaced because they're so small and there's no stategy involved, it's all luck, which I guess for a four year-old is ok, not too stimulating for adults.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute game--- Great for speech therapy, March 9, 2013
This review is from: Feed The Kitty (Toy)
I bought this game to use at work in speech therapy sessions. School-aged kids love this game and often ask if they can play "the cat game" when they come to see me. The instructions are simple and easy to follow. You can shorten the game by giving out fewer mice to start. My speech kids get excited whey they have a lot of mice and are constantly counting their mice and other players' mice to see who is winning at the moment. The only negative is the dice can get a little noisy on the table and some kids aren't great at tossing dice and keeping them on the table.

Bottom Line: A great and simple game that kids love. I play this game several times a week.

2.0 out of 5 stars So so game for very young kids, parents will be bored to tears, March 3, 2010
Ellie (Damascus, MD) - See all my reviews
= Durability:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Feed The Kitty (Toy)
This game is not much fun for kids older than 3, and since it's not intended for children younger than 3 (choking hazard), it's kind of pointless. And since there are so many great games out there that are not only way more educational but WAY more fun for the kids AND you, invest your money elsewhere. For example, the HISSS game (making colorful snakes) by the same company is for young children too and WAY WAY WAY more fun for everyone!

Feed The Kitty