5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent choice as an adult air rifle
Published 19 months ago by J. Ford

3.0 out of 5 stars Scope and scope mount
Published 16 months ago by spencer mock

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent choice as an adult air rifle, March 31, 2013
The Gamo Bone Collector Bull Whisper IGT Air Rifle is an excellent choice for an affordable, powerful, adult air-rifle. Also recognize the scope and mounts will probably not last that long but the quality of the rifle is high given the affordability, I purchased this rifle knowing I would upgrade the scope and mounts and still viewed thie purchased as being a great value. This rifle is very suitible for pest control. I cringe when I see all of the negative reviews about this rifle being loud. Any pellet going supersonic is going to make a very loud, audible noise. When the pellet breaks the sound barrier, it makes a very loud crack. A gun designer cannot engineer the physics out of a pellet traveling faster than the speed of sound. You can avoid this problem by using heavier, lead pellets. These will not break the sound barrier but will still deliver solid performance and a good down range stopping power. You will be surprised at the difference in the noise. Many people review this product using the alloy pellets that come with this rifle. Save the alloy pellets for a time when noise is not an issue and purchase some heavier, crossman premier hollow-points or dommed lead pellets and then give it a go, especially if you have annoying neighbors who may be sensitive to the loud noise. Many of the sceptics will change their tune. I like the idea that I can go supersonic with alloy pellets or subsonic with lead pellets based on my needs and shooting requirements.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Gun for $188 Bucks, Plus read to see how to make it really quiet, October 22, 2013
Carol A. Anderson (depends on the time of year) - See all my reviews
Don't worry about the noise, just take a couple minutes and read how to take your new rifle down to the sound of a Red Rider BB guns from the 50's.

I had a Silent Cat Gamo and it was a springer and very accurate. 1250fps with the alloy .177 pellets. So I tried a couple alloy pellets just to hear the bang. It was a good looking gun and fun to shoot, but the rear open sight kept falling off and I traded it back to Walmart for the Bones. My youngest son was using it deform quarters.

Now the Bones...... and how to put those bones back in the Casket.
I will tell you the first thing I did before firing the Bones was to do a complete cleaning. Especially the barrel. Then tightened up things that were loose and oiled the break barrel linkage.I didn't bother mounting the Gamo scope because, I knew what it was. I bought another CenterPoint air gun approved scope with the illuminated reticles. Nice scope for $70 at Wallys.
I went out to our air gun range which is only 125 yards long. I fired 3 rounds and they sounded like a .22 rim fire. That was using Gamo Mag Pros. 7.8 grains

After running 6 or 7 different pellet types thru it and about 300 rounds, it became much tamer for sound.

So far the best shooting pellet for me has been the Exact 8.4 grain lead shot with the dome head. I have a grain scale and a log book and keep track for the first couple weeks of a new air gun.

I did not bother to mount the Gamo plastic scope that came with the Bones.
I added a CenterPoint illuminated 4-16×40mm which is made to take the thrust of the highout output air guns. I already owned one for another gun and it has been great for about 4 years.

Dont forget when you mount a scope on a Gamo that there is a hole to mount the rear scope ring. Then go down thru the bottom of the ring and tighten up the allen screw snugly into that hole. You might not see it because Some Gamo rings have a thin fabric shim that covers up the hole to the allen set screw. I had a set of Gamo High Mounts in my stuff and used them to get the clearance for the bigger CP scope.

Happy shooting, now that Bones is broken in and zeroed, he will pick off an orange pill bottle from Walgreens at 150 feet like clock work.
, cheers

Update:

My new pellets arrived today. I bought a box of 1250 Crosman 10.5 grain lead monsters.(I have been shooting from 4.4 grains to 8.6 grains). I stuck one in and stepped outside and squeezed it off.
I was worried. I thought maybe it had jammed in the barrel because it sounded like my childhood daisy BB gun. ALMOST NO SOUND AT ALL. I looked down at the deck, 2x6 PT treated and stained wood and it looked like a little ricochet. So I didn't know what to think, but of course I assumed NO NOISE with the NO Power.
I grabbed a steel pick and stuck it in the hole and found the silent new pellet about 3/4" into the deck board which of course are 1.5" thick.,.
I grabbed a handful of pellets and shot them here and there.
Still no sounds at all except when I shot some metal scraps.
Then it rang like a bell.
I shot some concrete blocks at about 25 yards and those big guys blow out chunks the size of a quarter and nearly 1/2" deep.
Then I loaded a Gamo Raptor gold alloy 4.4 grains and fired it. It went SuperSonic and sounded like a . 22 power burner, so I was relieved that the heavies had not damaged anything.
I know I will need to rezero my scope but it really smacks with a whap,
So I decided to see how much of a drop the heavy pellet would cause on the guns reach. I mean at that weight, is has to have a limit in distance.
I have an old metal box that sits about 135 ft from the the front porch and we use it as a longer range tester.
So without messing with the scope, I aimed at the top of the rear of the mail box {to allow for drop} an fired one pellet. It dropped about 4 inches and was still centered. So when I walked out to look, the pellet had blew thru the back of the mailbox and opened the front door. Made me happy.
I just ordered a .25 caliber Hatsan 1000 sniper piston model.(A steal at $299, includes extras). I have been told that those heavy calibers, even going a couple hundred feet per second slower still hit with more force. The leave the barrel with more then double the force of the Bone using 8 grain pellets.
With that said, I thing using the 10.5 grain pellets in the Bone is going slower but hits harder then, the JSB Daiblo exacts at 8.4 grain. So going to the heavy, I don't have an exhaust noise out of the barrel and a lot more thrust when it hits, so almost like two guns in one.
Pellets for the .177 are much cheaper then the .25 Caliber ones, so holding on to the Bone for cheap fun shooting and a extra gun for when guests come over.
Cheers, and happy air popping.

If anyone wants to hear what it sounds like, I can make make a sound recording and email to you. I tried the app for the DB on my tablet, and it said 80 DBs, which sounds a little low to me.

5.0 out of 5 stars For the money it is perfect in every way, August 17, 2013
I bought this pellet rifle because I had never had a pellet rifle and even though I typically shoot rifles on a weekly basis I thought it might be fun to see what is up with this. And it certainly has been lots of fun.

I am just completely baffled at how so many people do not understand that there is absolutely nothing you can do about the pellet making noise. as another reviewer said this is a simple physics problem. If the pellet travels fast enough to make a noise nothing can be done. I shoot long range precision rifle using 338 Lapua magnum rounds, very expensive rifles and suppressors. And the suppressor will reduce the noise from the gases leaving the barrel but the round still makes a very loud noise.

The reason I am commenting is some of you are giving a product bad reviews which ultimately harms the company and the people that work there as well if sales drop off. All because you fail to think a bit about what is happening and what the noise is coming from. It is as painful to see as if someone said. I bought this car and when I start it up put it in gear and press the gas pedal it moves forward what a piece of junk.

And the worst part is if you have neighbors that are close enough to you to hear the crack of a pellet and are bothered by it- you are shooting the thing somewhere that you shouldn't be shooting. Period. You are completely disregarding safety if they are that close. And I guess if someone doesn't understand the physics problem behind a pellet going fast enough to make a tiny sonic boom they probably have never heard of the equal Newton's laws of motion and equal but opposite reaction. So you won't get the idea of recoil.

You simply cannot buy a VERY cheap pellet rifle and expect to not have recoil, and scopes that go out of zero. This is why some folks who are into the sport spend many many times what this pellet rifle costs.

For the very low price of entry to this world of pellet rifles I am completely satisfied. And I kind of feel sorry for the folks who give it bad ratings because they don't understand certain things or aren't taking the 2 seconds to think it through.

5.0 out of 5 stars Much enjoyment and happiness! Well worth the money!, August 26, 2013
We recently moved from the country into town and I needed to humble myself and buy my first pellet gun to help reduce the groundhog and rabbit population in our garden…and the occasional raccoon. I say “humble” because having lived in the country for my 40 years of life AND having helped out at a small Gun Shop for about 10 years, I have my own collection and experience with rimfire and centerfire rifles…of which I would’ve preferred to just use one of my .22LR rifles! :)

I spent a lot of time reading and watching many Reviews of various air rifles to help in my decision process of getting the best bang for my buck (pun intended) and to hopefully not be disappointed with my purchase.

A buddy loaned me his Crosman Pump Rifle in .177-caliber. I didn’t care for it for various reasons. A co-worker loaned me his Gamo CFR…it’s a .177-caliber, spring-piston, fixed-barrel, under-cock rifle. I liked the open-sights but knew I would need a scope for my shots. I liked the idea of the fixed-barrel, but didn’t like the rotary bolt with feed-ramp…was hard to load pellets.

I chose Gamo brand because 1) their broad variety of rifles to choose from and 2) the amount of quality for the price. As I stated, I have several firearms already, so I didn’t want to invest a lot of money…I have a wife and 2 kids to think about (most of my firearms were purchased before I got married 5 years ago)…and we just bought a new house too, so we have to make buy things to make it more to our liking. :)

I chose the Gas Piston over the Spring Piston because 1) it doesn’t have the ‘twang’ like the Spring and 2) you can leave it cocked for a long period of time without worrying about damage like with Springs. It takes a bit of effort to cock the gun, so I leave it loaded for 1) quicker access and 2) my wife can use it too...though almost nearly impossible for her to re-cock on her own. But this is meant for "me", so I'm not negatively assessing the amount of force needed to cock.

I chose the .177-caliber over the .22-caliber simply because this is my first air rifle and I knew that .177 has been around longer…so potentially more pellet options to choose from.

I chose the Bone Collector Bull Whisper because of the cost, the features (Gas, SAT trigger, Whisper), the looks, and the positive reviews. Most air rifle Combos come with less-than-adequate scopes (fixed power and/or no Adjustable Objective). Some Combos come with a nice scope (3-9X or 4-16X with Adjustable Objective), but you might not be getting the exact rifle that you’d like. So I opted to get the gun I wanted and then buy a separate scope that I’d like (UTG 3-9X40AO Mil-Dot).

Using PBA pellets, this air rifle is as loud as my .22LR, but it’s an “air rifle”, so I’m LEGAL to shoot it where I live vs. using an actual firearm. It’s obviously not as loud when I use lead pellets either.

The only thing that “seems” like it would be nice to have would be Open Sights. However, I knew I would mount a Scope on the rifle, so I didn’t make Open Sights a big priority. They certainly provide a certain amount of “sport” and require much more steadiness. They also allow you to still use the gun should your scope ever break or fail and need removed…but maybe my 2nd air rifle will have Open Sights, or maybe my 3rd one. :)

I killed my first groundhog with this rifle the other day…11 yard shot to the forehead with Gamo PBA pellet. Twitched around for a while, but pretty much died where I shot him.

5.0 out of 5 stars GAMO Bull Whisper Extreme 1400 Roques!, April 10, 2013
Hi. I have a black ((Bull Whisper Extreme.177)) that shoots 1400 fps with PBA. ((It is not the Bone Collector model.))It does have the same barrel though, and it is a little louder than my RUGER Air Hawk .177, Which sounds like a construction nail gun. The BULL WHISPER EXTREME has a more solid POW sound but not too loud. It is a Spring piston model and not the IGT piston. The shock from the Bull Whisper Extreme spring piston model has broken 4 scopes now. The original scope lasted several months. Bull Whisper Extreme does have a 41lb cocking effort though to power through 1400 fps. But my 11 year old boy can operate the cocking mechanism and fire it over and over. The Bone Collector model IGT Piston has a 30 lb cocking effort to power the 1300 fps.
The stocks are quite different and more like a competition rifle.It is very BALANCED and Fairly light. The plastic of the stock has excess lines on it from being formed in two half molds. I didn't like the way it felt, so I scraped them off with my handy dandy pocket knife. Also on the bottom edges of the forestock it was sharp. I filed that part with a file. It's my gun, I had to make it feel right. Now it does.
It shoots pretty accurately with GAMO Tomahawk Pointed Hollow Point pellets. I am waiting to receive a tin of 400 JSB Monster 13.4 gr. Dome top pellets from Amazon. I am informed from reviews that these heavyweight pellets are the best ones for powerful airguns like these. However, I am getting a bit of drop from Crossman Ultra Magnum 10.5gr pellets so I may have to resight my scope, But the Magnums penetrate a 2X4 double what the Tomahawks do.
I think that shooting pellets heavier than 8 gr. is what caused the scopes to break.
((I'm convinced that this airgun could seriously hurt or seriously kill someone, So treat it with the same CAUTION that a firearm DEMANDS.))
I'm having to replace the mount rings because I tightened them a little more than aluminum could stand. The screwheads pulled through one cap. P.S. Now I took the Rail off and put N.C.Star High mount rings on. They are more heavily built than the ones from Gamo. The scope seems much more stable now, and not as elevated off the chamber, which helps to sight it in.
I have a plastic pouch that fits on my belt that had cheap Daisy flat nose pellets in it. I dumped them out into an empty tin so I can use the pouch for my ammo, and it is very convenient to have my pellets right on my belt. GAMO also sells a belt pouch for anyone interested.
GAMO BULL WHISPER 'EXTREME' 1400 fps SPRINGER ; Not very loud. Not much kick. Lots of power. VERY IMPRESSIVE!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Scope and scope mount, June 14, 2013
This is a very fine weapon but, the scope was no good. Couldn't zero it finaly gave up got another scope. Found out the scope mounts were no good. GAMO you have made a very fine weapon but you need to rethink your sighting system. Loose the dove tail and go with a weaver rail that is secured to the weapon. Im now trying a single rail with rings. If that doesn't work i will try something else because i realy like the weapon and i haven't gave up yet.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy or at least buy with caution., June 16, 2014
This review is from: Gamo Bone Collector Bull Whisper IGT Air Rifle air rifle (Sports)
I ordered this air rifle for my husband's birthday. When it came it already had a scope attached and it was not suppose to have a scope attached. My husband was not concerned until he tried to shoot the rifle. He was unable to get any satisfactory group. He started checking the scope out and thought it was just a cheap scope with a flaw, so we called Gamo and after much hassel we finally talked to someome at Gamo and they said that their guns did not go out with attached scopes so it must have been a return and the first owner put the scope on. They sent another scope out and when my husband tried to put it on a part fell out and he has no idea where it came from, then a second small part fell out. We have tried to get in touch with Gamo many times via phone and thru e-mail and had no response the second time. All we ask was for someone to call us so my husband can find out where these parts go. At this time the gun is on my living room floor in pieces. Gamo has certainly not been very responsive, and we would not recommend this product to anyone else. First thing I have ordered thru Amazon that I have not been satisfied with. Hopefully Amazon can help us out with a response from Gamo or someone with knowledge of this air rifle. My husband is not a rookie around guns, while in the military he won recognition for shooting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Accuracy, December 11, 2012
Awesome pellet gun. Zeros in easily. Very consistent. Lightweight, and easy to steady. Only downside is that it's advertised as "quiet." No so true. It is slightly more quiet than the average gun. Glad I ordered it and would recommend to anyone wanting a quality pellet rifle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super, May 10, 2013
This is a great air rifle. It meats my every expectation. I wish I had bought one years ago. I am enjoying it every day.

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful piece of equipment, June 7, 2013
Everyone knows that standard scopes on gamo rifles are awful. Therefore, we will skip it.

First of all, The PBA ammo is only good if your are shooting 10 yards or less. After that, the accuracy is literally a shot in the dark. That is also the ammo that everyone is claiming to be super loud. Those break the sound barrier and cause the pellets to "tumble", losing accuracy.

After having this gun for over 3 months, I hate it. The accuracy out of the box was great after replacing the garbage scope. After 500 rounds, the accuracy diminished greatly.

I cannot hit the same target twice at 20 yards...from a rest. I have spent well over 200 dollars on scopes, mounts, and ammunition for this hoping that there is some magic combo. Shooting the bone collector ammunition was even worse. This gun is going back to Gamo and with the money I have spent on it I could have purchased a PCP. I have moved the target to 10 yards and gotten just as poor results. Shots from a rest hit within 8-12 inches at that distance, something expected from 70 yards or better.

Overall, the quality of the build is mediocre at best, the accuracy is despicable, the customer service garbage, and the money spent trying to save this rifle...far too much.

Best of luck to those who have a great time with this rifle, but as for me, gamo has proven time and time again that they cannot keep up with the standards in the industry any longer.