5.0 out of 5 stars Great Air Rifle, But Get Another Scope
After reading almost nothing but praise for the GAMO Big Cat 1250, I decided to buy one for myself and see if it lives up to the hype. In short, it exceeded my expectations.

Published on December 29, 2011 by Lonewolf

3.0 out of 5 stars No Customer Service
This review is from: Gamo Big Cat 1250 Air Rifle with 4 x 32 Rifle Scope and PBA Platinum Pellets .177 Caliber (Sports)

The gun is fine but Gamo customer service is non-existent. I tried to email them a question. Got a message their site don't work. Called their number on hold forever. Decided to leave voice mail question with my email address to answer. Never...
Published 1 month ago by Timbo

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Air Rifle, But Get Another Scope, December 29, 2011

The gun itself feels very solid, and it's reasonably heavy so it doesn't feel like a toy. The stock feels a little cheap, but it is made of all-weather polymer, so it's understandable. The barrel is jacketed in polymer as well. The gun doesn't come with iron sights, which is a bummer, but not the end of the world. Thus, you need a scope, which brings me to my only real complaint.

The scope it comes with is complete garbage. It has only one magnification of 4x, and it has some serious focusing issues. With most scopes I can focus on both the crosshairs and the target, or at least one or the other. With this scope, I can't even get the crosshairs to focus properly. Luckily, I had a very nice BSA scope to use. I didn't even need another scope, so it would be nice if GAMO offered the Big Cat 1250 without making you pay for a crappy scope.

While on the topic of scopes, make sure you mount the scope mounts properly. It is not enough to just adjust the horizontal screws, you also need to have one of the mounts to screw in vertically into the receiver. The mounts the gun comes with has this, so use it. If you don't, your scope will eventually fall off, or at least go off it's zeroing.

Now for the most important factor: how does it shoot? The answer: wonderfully. The strength needed to cock the gun was much less than I expected, but I do have a pretty strong build, so maybe it's just me. Once I got shooting, I had the scope zeroed in at 35 meters with only about 10 shots. Some people complain that this gun is inaccurate, but these people are most likely shooting the gun incorrectly. You need to use a special technique to shoot spring powered air rifles due to the recoil effecting the pellet before it leaves the barrel. Look it up if you are unfamiliar with it.

When I started taking shots with this, I quickly realized that this thing is no joke. I first used Crosman Premier Match pellets, and these went through a sheet of polymer which is about 5mm thick. Not only that, but it knocks out huge chunks of it. I then put in some Gamo Red Fire pellets, and I saw just how much damage it can do. Using these, the Big Cat 1250 tore through anything I put in front of it. Despite these results, I wanted to be sure that the gun was shooting around its advertised velocities. To do this, I used the PBA Platinum pellets, which I consider too expensive to use for target shooting. However, since they came with the gun, I put one in and took a shot. It immediately assuaged my fears, as I heard a loud crack, the distinct sound of the sound barrier being broken.

While shooting, I became aware of the trigger, which is something people have been complaining about. The first stage is huge, and the second is a hair trigger. I actually like this, because I can pretty much bypass the first stage and keep the trigger against the second as I line up the shot.

To sum things up, this is a very good gun, especially for such a nice price. Get another scope, use the proper stance to shoot it, and you'll have lots of fun. Thanks for reading.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good gun, October 7, 2011
I purchased this gun at Sports Authority. It included everything that Amazon includes.
The actual pellet rifle is great. When I first shot it, I used the included PBA ammunition. It was loud. REALLY loud. Like a .22. I did some research and found out that the pellets were actually breaking the sound barrier and creating a sonic boom, much like a whip crack. I started using some crosman hunter lead pellets and it brought the FPS just below 1000. The sonic boom is gone, but occasionally I hear it. The pellets much be like 99% bad.
The scope is garbage. I recommend buying a 11mm to picatinny adapter. It will also act as a scope riser, which you will need. You will also need either a new scope and mounts, or a red dot sight. Everything is high quality. It is the perfect wight and balance. The safety seems to be solid. Believe it or not, it actually kicks and hurts after a while if you set it on your shoulder just right. And I actually have something to compare to after being an avid marksman with .270's and 30-06's. It is not the most accurate thing in the world. Its find for squirrels and small mammals but I'd just switch to real firearms for anything bigger than a raccoon.
You really need to be careful with pellet rifles this powerful. It won't just put out eyes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Small bore survival rifle..., February 29, 2012
As I have said in a different review, I returned a gamo recon because it was not powerful at all, and upon saying that I must comment on what a powerful rifle this is. It penetrates a phone book 3 X more than my Remmington 77 (2100). wOW! Next, the accuracy. Hmmm, not as good as the pump rifle I own, but this is a springer rifle...to accurately shoot this rifle you need to hold it lightly, steadily, and pull the trigger slowly. If you hold as you would an AR-15 you will have very poor results. Look it up online. The second bigge' on accuracy is the pellet. The PBA ammo is horrible. I simply keep it for fun, so I can how off to my friends how loud it is. I recommend buying bulk ammo-1250ct- off amazon for 12$. Believe me, if you don't you will end up buying just as many pellets for 3 times the price. If you buy in bulk, you get cheap. I recommend crosman pointed, or hollow point, or domed. These are the most accurate, although I like the pointed best because of it's penetration and accuracy in a package. The last HUGE issue is the barrel. After every 30-40 shots, give your barrel a quick clean...I learned the hard way. I didn't clean my barrel for 500 SHOTS and my accuracy suffered. Now I know why, but that's a lot of pellets used up to find out something so simple!

Now, for a 140$ gun, you can't go wrong buying it. Just do not expect anything better than 1/2" group at 30 ft, and anything good after 100 yards. For the price it's good, but it is not the most accurate out there. Just remember about the right pellet and a clean barrel, and you should be good. Gun is made in Spain too! This thing has best penetration with the pointed pellets, even over PBA. Blasted right through shee t metal, coffee cans, etc.. I expect to be able to hunt up to a raccoon with this rifle. As far as a scope goes, it's good. Nice and clear, focuses well, accurate, but does not exactly have micro magnification. I wish they would give a higher mag. Scope, but then again, looking at the price I can't complain. Over all great value gun.

So if you are looking for a powerful, accurate, awesome gun in an affordable price range, this is the gun for you! Whether plinking in the field to blasting small game, this is your way-out ...

Thanks for readin'!!

Joe

UPDATE** I have been useing Cabela Brand 10.5 grain dome pellets...just knocked out 3 squirrels, and a rabbit...all one shot one kills.Awesome rifle.

5.0 out of 5 stars watch out tree rats ! here comes the sweeper !, May 29, 2014
this is perfect for tree rats. sighted easily. powerful. one shot. Good distance. Great value. A heavy rifle. five stars

5.0 out of 5 stars you wont be dissapointed, June 18, 2012
This is a great gun. The picture makes the un look small, but trust me, this gun is THICK. Im 6'2" and everything fits me right. Oh and btw, they told me the gun would come on the 19th, but it came on the 16th, so expect it to come early. Ive shot 5 squirrels in 2 days, very powerful and accurate.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good springer., January 24, 2013
If you take the time, this is a powerful, accurate gun; BUT IT IS HARD TO SHOOT! It is VERY unforgiving about welds and posture. If you can hold it in exact same place, cheek in same place, contact on shoulder the same, with as little contact as possible, it is deadly.
I agree with everyone else; the scope is garbage. Get a better one, (preferably with adjustable objective, and a mil-dot reticule) and one that is RATED FOR AIRGUNS! Get decent airgun scope mounts too. This springer will tear up anything not built to handle the thwack. And like a few of you on here have said, it will not hold a zero once sighted in. Make sure you use the stopper to hold the mount in place atop the dovetail, and use low strength thread lock to keep the screws from loosening.
And another thing, it is really important to try multiple different pellets, of differing shapes and grains; even copper coated. Mine liked the Beeman Kodiak match extra heavy. Yours might not like them. There is a shop on Amazon that sells 300 and 600 assortments of 50 pellets, so you can try multiple ones for less that if you bought full tins, so try them, and find what your rifle likes. Crossman premiers shot pretty good too in mine, as a cheaper alternative, and as a rule, heavier grains perform better with these 'magnum' type air rifles. There is no point shooting those crappy little low grain Gamo pellets, just so you can get 1200 fps. Everyone knows the worst thing for external ballistics is a round that drops out of supersonic flight. And that round drops through it 20ft from your rifle and just tumbles its way to the target. Those rounds might be super awesome for a low power air pistol, though!
Also, look on youtube for videos that show you how to sight in your scope, how to do holdover, how to use mil-dot reticules, how to test your pellets for accuracy, how to clean your barrel and oil the mechanisms, and different ways to hold your gun. For springers, the artillery hold can work wonders.
Have fun, and good shooting!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Birthday Gift, August 21, 2011
I think this is a great gun, it's very accurate. I asked for this gun for my 23rd birthday. My boyfriend has a bb gun and I wanted my own gun so I could shoot with him. I have to say my Gamo Big Cat gun makes his bb gun look like a dinky little toy. We went shooting and he kept asking to use my gun. ha ha The Gamo air rifle is the first one that I've owned so I had issues putting on the scope properly. I took it to a gun range and they were happy to help me put it on. (maybe because I'm a girl...but I would think they would extend the same courtesy to anyone) I shot it at the gun range and pumped the guys there for as much information about shooting/guns as I could get. Had a great time getting the gun set just right. I was there for 3 1/2 hours playing with my new gun...shooting zombie targets. I suggest you order more ammo with your gun. The pellets that come with it don't last very long and you'll be out of ammo before you know it. Happy shooting! I hope I was of some help!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet rifle and fantastic price!, November 9, 2013
I would give this 10 stars if I could. I have zero experience with air rifles but was in the military for 28 years so have plenty of experience shooting other weapons. I am super impressed with this weapon! It's accurate, powerful, and from butt to barrel is a well-put-together product! Only 2 cons I can think of is that I wish it had a front sight and I wish I could load more than one round at a time. But like I said, I'm new with air rifles so wasn't sure what to expect with it. The fact that I have to cock it (break-barrel) also kind of sucks but it's not a major obstacle. Considering the price, these cons are minor.

When I first got this rifle, I opened the box but couldn't find the rounds of ammo which was supposed to have been included. Then I went on Amazon and started asking other buyers if they had the same problem. I'm glad I didn't leave feedback then because I found the ammo today. You just have to look real good for it. It's taped to a little block of styrofoam. Plenty of ammo included to get your Big Cat sighted in!

I noticed some people complained about the scope but for me, the scope was ok. You get what you pay for. But considering the quality of the rifle, you get MORE than what you pay for!

5.0 out of 5 stars Problem Solved, November 15, 2013
The original scope was not good, I was super bummed. I contacted them, explained what was wrong with it and within 4 days of me sending them my invoice I had a new scope. just got done trying it ten minutes ago... Amazing.

Cust. Service was super nice, very understanding, quality person

5.0 out of 5 stars Great deal, January 9, 2013
The gun is powerful and accurate, and seems to be of sturdy construction. The gun will make a "crack" sound using the PBA ammo, but this appears to be strictly a novelty. It is much more accurate using lead pellets.