Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Gamo Viper Shadow Express Air Shotgun & Rifle air rifle
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on April 2, 2009
This is a great little toy for big boys.
I'm 63 and recently added this to my gun collection.
This light-weight air rifle/shotgun is just as described. Performs well and seems rugged enough for field use as well as general plinking.
With standard .22 cal pellets, even though it has a "smooth" bore, this air rifle has plenty of power to take rodents in size from rats to rabbits. Starlings to Crows (If legal in your area). Accuracy is reasonable too. With a scope (as this gun has no fixed sights) it does just fine. Even with out a scope you will find that hitting a pop can at 50 to 100 feet is not much of a challenge.

But as a shotgun...
This air gun is FUN. (though a little expensive for ammo @ $7.50/25 shells)
Pop cans on the fly are fun - holes through both sides at 30-40' is no problem. It would be interesting to find a easy re-load technique. I would really like to see what difference different size loads would make. Both shot size and or shot quantity.
Around 700 FPS seems correct too.
For air rifles, I usually shoot a Webley Vulcan .177 with a good scope. That rifle does approximately 800 FPS and velocity of both with pellets seems about the same. And considering the Viper is .22 caliber, that of course equates to more killing power at point of impact given the same velocity.

All in all - It's a blast.

Tony
on May 15, 2010
Lightweight, very quiet, does what I need it for. Very good for getting rid of snakes and squirrels who pose a threat to family and property. Tiny shot also creates less mess.
on August 23, 2010
Gamo's Shadow Express .22 cal pellet and Air Shotgun is a winner! Get one while you can, as from what I understand is Gamo has stopped producing these.

It is a single shot rifle for both the .22 cal pellets and the Shadow Express shot shells, and a manual cock rifle, but it is worth its weight in gold for its accuracy and FPS in delivering a punch to the varmints that I've killed with it, using the shot shell ammo.

It is made of steel and hard plastic, which can hurt one's cheek if you rest it on this while shooting it - as my wife did when she shot it once. The recoil kick is mild as compared to other shot guns. I may even put a small scope on it to get the squirrels who reside in the trees around us, as it comes with a nice already installed mount.
on September 24, 2010
I have been shooting the shot shells, stocked up on 1125 rounds as its discontinued. Like everyone says its a novelty, maybe plunk a couple birds of a powerline, at 15 feet its a tight pattern at 50 feet its about 16-18". The 22 Pellet portion is nice and its pretty accurate. Gun is well made and not made in china as everything else is these days, I believe its Spain don't have it with me right now. If you want to drop some squirrels or chipmunks in your backyard and play around with the shotgun for fun this is the gun for you!
on June 20, 2010
Only about 40 shots so far. shotgun AMMO is pretty expensive.
Looking for non-lead reload #7-1/2 and #9 pellets without buying a 25 pound bag.

Amazingly accurate (lucky)shot
- a running / hopping mid-air knockdown at 16-18 yards. (ground squirrel)

Only shooting shells >> NO PELLETS....looks like ( from what I've researched ) "possibly" the METAL insert/sleeve for pellets is scuffing the air chamber seal and that EVENTUALLY causes the gun to lose pressure. Primarily bought this for shotgun functionality and plastic shotgun casing on rubber seal should slip past and seal pretty easily.

Happy with the cost./ Could NOT find difference between
Viper Express @ ~ $230
and Viper SHADOW Express @ $100
SOOoooo ~ $130 discount to be used for ammo and other stuff
IF anyone can tell me the DIFF let me know.... Wt.? vel.?

REALLY would like about 850+ fps w/ shotgun shells.
Maybe someone will produce later!!??
on December 17, 2010
I got this new well this gun is cool Im not spst to use it until christmas but when parents are not home I shoot out my window the first time I shot I was like damm the gun shoots harder than I thought and it has a good recoil and I liked the way it feels but I would of liked the barrel medal but Its still good and I've tried a pellet and the gun shoots the pellets good I know the barrel is not rifled but its still shoots straight I was ganna get the viper version but It was out of stock its fun though I killed a crow flying but I left it there cause it fell at another house but if u dont belive me I dont care but if you miss with the shot shell u suck and you can also refill them. I recomend gamo double ring magnum pellets they have good penetration and what I liked that it ships when it says everything was in perfect condition I bought the gun in a package in amozon it was of course the gun,shells,and the pellets
things Ive would of changed: nothing
things I liked: everything
I recommened this gun and the pellets to anyone. Ok I couldn,t do another review and its been two weeks and last week I killed a crow in the air all the birds I killed in one day is 9 but my brother killed 3 and when it started to get dark I went to my grandmas and I killed three possums i dont know how to spell it but any my teo told me that they were eating the corn for the animals they had there and my teo(uncle)told me were they were and they were all together they were pretty big I took them all out with the gamo double ring magnum pellets one on each possum the pellets are good and the gun is great this is the most favorite gun i had i know how to refill them and it will prbly take 3 min. or moreyou will need wax from a candle a piece of toilet paper and a shotgun shell so you can take out the bbs or you can buy them in a gun store or online or you can use those tiny fishing wheights you can almost put anything in the shell dont put somthing that will mess up your barrel and another ways to refill them is using little foam circles.hope it was helpfull
on June 25, 2010
Gamo Viper Express Air Shotgun & Rifle air rifle I am well pleased with this air gun. The best airgun I ever owned
on March 28, 2012
I was extremely excited about this rifle when I bought it, and rightly so: Groundbreaking design, as an airpowered shotgun.

However the whole "shotgun" thing losses its luster after a fairly short amount of time, and then once I got serious about shooting with this thing as a .22 caliber pellet rifle, I found that the smooth bore ensured bad groupings and questionable accuracy at anything over 40 yards.

I had a Leapers CQB scope mounted on it, which was a 1.25 to 4 X zoom, and I found no real repeatability with it. Even bench rested.

But this rifle is deadly for pest control at medium distances. If I were to buy another, it would be a Gamo with a rifled barrel.

Reloading is easy, so keep your spent shotgun shells. You have to buy the lead shot, but I just use foam tape punched out with a paper punch to keep the lead inside the shells. Don't over fill with the shot - Any more than 12 to 14 grains of #9 birdshot can jam up in the barrel, acting like a squib.

I seriously love this rifle, but I only gave it three stars because I really find it inaccurate. If I want to nail a squirrel or a rabbit in the head at 40 yards, this is not a gun I would trust.
on April 11, 2014
This thing is good on rabbits out to thirty feet and great for wing shooting. I bought mine when they first came out and am very happy with it. Shooting as a shotgun in urban situations is an added advantage previously not available. The #9 shot dies quickly after 40 feet so neighbors can feel comfortable with your activity. 22 mode has plenty of power and accuracy for pests. Report is quite low in shotgun mode. I vote yes.