5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect book for the beginner
Published 7 months ago by Kristi Stone

3.0 out of 5 stars I give this book a luke-warm review
This is a good basic book for the home natural dyer. There was a lot of chatty commentary in the front I could have lived without, and perhaps more dye plants could have been discussed.
Published 4 months ago by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect book for the beginner, May 10, 2014
Kristi Stone (California, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Garden to Dye For: How to Use Plants from the Garden to Create Natural Colors for Fabrics & Fibers (Hardcover)
While there is a lot of information to digest for a newbie like me, Chris walks the reader through the process, making dyeing fiber an attainable goal. The photos are beautiful, leaving me completely intrigued and wanting to know how I can create such beautiful, vibrant color with the plants in my garden. Chris provides a great reference section on plants that can be used for dyes, as well as garden plans so that you can get the most out of the garden you plant. This book is a great reference for the new and seasoned dyer, and will serve the owner for years to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars I think I might be addicted, May 29, 2014
When Chris set out to write this book, this was her goal...

"The goal, therefore, is not to attmept to share every scientific formula that includes every possible outcome. Instead, I want to encourage every person who pics up this book to try dying with plants." (page xii - Introduction)

I think Chris reached that goal with A Garden to Dye For.

Here are a few things I LOVED about the book - this is coming from a seasoned gardener but a newbie "dyer".

~ Chris starts the book out with vocabulary because the hard part of learning any new skill is really getting a handle on the terminology, isn't it?
~ The photography is amazing
~ There are clear instructions for the projects
~ The projects appear to be very doable even for the beginner
~ There are growing tips for each plant
~ For each plant Chris tells you where to find the color
~ There is an extensive resource page - you know, so you can find play silks

Most of all, I love that Chris makes growing a dye garden and actually using it seem doable and fun.

I tried hard to find something to caution you about or complain about. I really did. But I couldn't find anything that I didn't like or that irritated me to share with you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Holy Inspiration, Batman!, May 9, 2014
I have the Weaver's Garden and I love it (my stepmother gave it to me with faith that I would someday learn to use it). I love the whole idea of being able to grow natural dyes. When Chris sent me the e-copy of this book to read I was so inspired! I'm very shallow and in order for me to learn well from a book, it has to have good graphics - this one does not disappoint! I liked how it was organized. I was reading the other review and agree with Chris that its organized more like a seed catalog would be. I was able to skip around from idea to idea as my brain pinged off this or that piece of information and not once did I get lost or confused. The book is simple and, my favorite part, written for gardeners. I've read a few of these books before but I always have to go to another book to figure out if its one I can grow or even want to grow but with Garden to Dye For, its all right there! Now, I'm off to put the mushroom dye bath we made today in the fridge so we can play with it for school tomorrow!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Garden to Dye For, was worth the wait!, May 8, 2014
Another winning book by author Chris McLaughlin. This book covers using natural plant dyes to color your world I am a fiber producer so I was awaiting the book's release in order to learn more about using natural plant dyes on my own fiber and yarn. But why stop there. Use the dyes to custom make a fabric scarf, or a fabric anything that needs a zip of color. Learn about which plants will produce a lasting dye and which ones are only a fleeting stain on the landscape of life. You can even use these dyes for water color paintings! So many beautiful thoughts are running through my minds as I get ready to make my first batch of dye. I am totally inspired and you will be, too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Grow your own colors!, May 8, 2014
Beyond the basic aesthetics of a beautiful garden, I've always put mine to good use and reaped as much food and cut flowers as I possibly could. But Chris' book adds a whole new consideration: put all those colors to work and create natural, gorgeous dyes! I'd never even thought about this before! To anyone new to the art/science of dyeing, I'm sure that the process can seem a little overwhelming, but Chris, in her no-nonsense-cut-to-the-chase kind of way, manages to demystify it entirely. Combine that with a dash of sass and a whole boatload of beautiful images--this book is an absolute joy to read.
No one's garden library is complete without A Garden to Dye For--I highly, highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for a natural dye experimenter, July 1, 2014
I don't often write reviews, but I wanted to leave one on this little book because I really enjoy it. It's small and easy to tote around, and covers all the common and easy to try plants. I'm not a professional, I just like to try out cheap and easy natural dyes with the small amount of fiber I have. I'm not even interested in getting into a bunch of details; for me, part of the fun is trying different things to see how they Change the colors. Chances are I won't do or want the same color every time. I loved the relaxed tone of this book, it's like I was talking with a friend! Most of the plants in here, I realize I can grow and/or try. I have several other books on natural dyeing and this one adds a new aspect to my library.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Book I've Always Wanted, May 17, 2014
I have been looking for a book like this everywhere! As a small homesteader, mama and creator of natural products I have long looked for plants which create natural dyes to use in my creations. I am thrilled that this book shows me exactly what I need to grow, as well as how to use the dye. It answers questions I did not know I had! I'm thrilled to add it to my natural homesteading book collection, and I will refer to it often! I highly recommend it to others looking for an alternative to the chemical dyes commercially available and those who wish to use plants for all their wondrous properties, like creating dyes, for our use!

3.0 out of 5 stars I give this book a luke-warm review, August 10, 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars au natural, May 16, 2014
I cannot wait to get started!! I love that it covers all natural dyes. Thank you for this lovely book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book but not much new information, July 5, 2014
Good book but not much new information. Fairly generic so if you have other books on dyeing you probably already have the information.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›